Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 04:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Any Appliance Experts Out There?

I have a refrigerator problem that I would like some advice on.
Whirlpool residential fridge compressor suddenly became noisy and runs frequently. The fridge and freezer are still cold and the evaporator fan seems to be working. Could it be a bad Capacitor? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #2

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
First thing I could think of is dirty condenser coils. It will cause the compressor to run more than normal. Repairclinic.com on YouTube is very helpful when it comes to appliances. Fixed my dryer issue for less than $40 with their videos.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Bad recycle valve will cycle the compressor excessively.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not a fridge expert by any stretch, but is the noise coming from the compressor area or the freezer area? Might also be a condenser fan problem (usually mounted near the compressor). Either condenser or evaporator fan blade may have come loose or maybe a blade is clipping/touching something now as it turns? Bearing in a fan....but in a 2017 coach you would not think so. I think all three items run at the same time in residential fridges.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
and i will add if its in the rv, check the mounting bolts or screws and make sure they are snug,as looseness will cause all kinds of issues with noise and vibrations.
as far as cycling frequently

second the repair clinic site for helpful info
Old 01-10-2020, 01:30 AM   #6

THOR #16919
I appreciate all the helpful replies. I’m pretty sure it’s the condenser at this point. I pulled the fridge out when it first started and everything was clean in the back. The fan is working fine and the noise doesn’t resemble a fan problem. I was hoping that maybe it was the appliance run capacitor and that could be possible. I’ve called a few places and nobody as of yet wants to work on it. I do have an extended service contract from Good Sam so that’s a possibility. I talked to our local appliance parts guru about what it might need. From the symptoms I described he says compressor. He also got really animated when he described how modern refrigerators (especially foreign made) are built to be energy efficient so they have been installing undersized compressors. Lower BTU rating than is required for the size of unit. Then as it’s used it burns out the compressor in a relatively short amount of time. I can buy a new unit at Best Buy for $429. Fixing the thing could cost that much. No worries we’re camping at Faria County Park in California and it’s another beautiful day. I’ll try to send a photo.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #7

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
great you have extended warranty coverage

i dis agree with the undersized comment from the tech.

my samsung is super efficient and runs different speed on compressor depending on heat removal required.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #8

THOR #16919
Things just got more interesting with the Whirlpool residential refrigerator in our RV. I have Sears Service Rep. coming out to do a diagnostic on it. I also found out that this particular refrigerator is basically a ship in a bottle. It is too big to get out of the RV without having to perform some sort of deconstruction. I was first made aware of this possibility by my RV Storage Facility. They had a customer with a brand new RV with a bad residential refer. In order to replace it they either had to remove a slide or the front window. Holy Sheet!
I removed my refer from the cabinet and removed its doors. The depth of it with coils attached is about 1/4” less than the RV entry door flange. I may be able to remove it if I release the shock absorber on the door and remove the hand hold which both further obstruct the opening. I’ll probably have to use some Vaseline as well!
Old 01-18-2020, 03:05 AM   #9

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
Things just got more interesting with the Whirlpool residential refrigerator in our RV. I have Sears Service Rep. coming out to do a diagnostic on it. I also found out that this particular refrigerator is basically a ship in a bottle. It is too big to get out of the RV without having to perform some sort of deconstruction. I was first made aware of this possibility by my RV Storage Facility. They had a customer with a brand new RV with a bad residential refer. In order to replace it they either had to remove a slide or the front window. Holy Sheet!
I removed my refer from the cabinet and removed its doors. The depth of it with coils attached is about 1/4” less than the RV entry door flange. I may be able to remove it if I release the shock absorber on the door and remove the hand hold which both further obstruct the opening. I’ll probably have to use some Vaseline as well!
Update...
Sears Service came out today to diagnose and provide a quote. Diagnosis is the compressor is nearing complete failure. Repair estimate is $955. For parts, labor, fees and taxes. I could buy two brand new Whirlpool refrigerators just like it for that price. My Good Sam Extended Service Policy authorized the repair and will mail me a check when it’s completed. I’m happy that they are going to pay for it but sheesh! The Customer Service at the Insurance Co for Good Sam was excellent. Happy Trails
Old 01-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #10

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Replace the reefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
Update...
Sears Service came out today to diagnose and provide a quote. Diagnosis is the compressor is nearing complete failure. Repair estimate is $955. For parts, labor, fees and taxes. I could buy two brand new Whirlpool refrigerators just like it for that price. My Good Sam Extended Service Policy authorized the repair and will mail me a check when it’s completed. I’m happy that they are going to pay for it but sheesh! The Customer Service at the Insurance Co for Good Sam was excellent. Happy Trails
Just a question...
If you had a choice, and you could squeeze them out/in, would you have not wanted a new reefer instead of repairing the old one? I think I would have tried to convince the Policy people to go that way if it makes sense dollar wise.

Stay cool
Old 01-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #11

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Just a question...
If you had a choice, and you could squeeze them out/in, would you have not wanted a new reefer instead of repairing the old one? I think I would have tried to convince the Policy people to go that way if it makes sense dollar wise.

Stay cool
That’s one option that I was considering for sure. In the end I figured that I paid a good amount for that Extended Service Contract, the refer was only three years old and if I couldn’t fit a new one in without removing the door opening, windshield or one of the slides then it may be more cost effective and practical to just recoup some of my premium on the $955. repair job. I guess if these refers only last a few years then I’ll have to figure that out next time.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We have a Tuscany also with a Whirlpool fridge, however the door is 31 inches and the fridge will go through sideways

What width is your door and will be curious as to your final outcome
Old 01-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #13

Model: outlaw 37rb
THOR #5223
Our Whirlpool short cycled. It seems the compressor was often coming on and off several times and turned off with a "clunk" sound. Xantrex inverter got fried (another story) and we replaced it with another brand, pure sine wave, and no more short cycling or "clunk."