Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Best Advice: Roofs, Trees & Air Conditioners

The Fall is approaching, this is our first Fall season where we will have our new RV parked under a large Cedar Elm tree. We have a home storage pad. The tree covers 80% of the RV, thus it creates great shade during the intense Texas heat But Sept and through Dec; the leaves will start to drop until the very last leaf falls.

So what are the recommendations and best advise?

Few things I worry about...

1. Leaf stains
2. Leaves getting in both AC Units, (the temperatures will still be warm enough to need both ACs during the Fall in Dallas, Texas)

What I have done thus far
1. Wash roof with RV Wash & Wax
2. Wax roof with Meguiars Pure Boat & RV Wax #56

Note: We use the RV year around

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You might consider an rv cover to prevent the staining while parked plus it protects from the elements. They can be a pain to install and remove but do work.

Paul
Old 09-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
You might consider an rv cover to prevent the staining while parked plus it protects from the elements. They can be a pain to install and remove but do work.

Paul
Thanks Paul. A cover is something that I was almost 100% sure I wanted well before buying the RV.

But after extensive research a cover is simply not an option for me. At least a full body cover anyway. Note: I have covers for all of my cars, motorcycles and a OEM custom cover that I purchased for nearly $900 for my Yamaha and I love them all.

However for my 30 ft long RV, this is what I have found and points of notes thus far...

1. Winnebago does not recommend covers, Winnebago does not even sell, distribute or recommend covers as parts
2. The Owner's manual cites damage to gel coat by covers, so owner is responsible and it could void warranty.
3. Even though some covers have access panels, we use our RV frequently, slides in and out, and I run my generator weekly as a matter of procedure. We use our RV as an extra large SUV i.e. we were down at a park area near Uptown (Dallas) yesterday.
4. I have been on the roof and have no intentions of trying to pull something that large over the RV. It is okay to call me a coward . I went up to wax and that is it. I wash it frequently but from the sides with long pole
5. When hail or inclement weather is approaching, I can quickly throw a cover on a car that may be outside the garage, but not so fo the RV
6. We live in a suburb where the City and Homeowners Association actually allows. My RV happens to be some color as home nad blends in nive under the tree and neighbors actually complement us A cover (if I could actually ) do it may change that as it would be an eyesore where someone may complain. Covers on RV implies TRUE storage and that is NOT us.

So for those reasons, I am looking what may happen otherwise without a cover, and or other options.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote