Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #11226
Shower Surround Leaks

I just spent several hours this weekend removing the shower surround (the glass, not the walls) from my 2016 ACE 30.2 to look for leaks and to reseal. Once I got it apart, it was clear that there was no possible way for this thing NOT to leak at the base. The bottom of the glass panels is simply an inverted U-shape that rests on the flat edge of the shower pan. Best I can tell, it would be virtually impossible to caulk or otherwise seal the base. Where the base meets the wall, behind the wall panel, the shower pan lip just stops, without any provision for water that hits the shower wall from migrating behind the wall panel and out onto the floor. Again, there's no possible way for this NOT to leak.

This being the case, is my unit an anomaly? Did something get left off? Maybe the base was supposed to rest on some type of seal? Maybe there is supposed to be something behind the wall panel to turn the flow back into the pan at the edges?

If not, then why would Thor even put this design into service? There's little more frustrating that trying to relax and hearing fellow travelers yell "the shower's leaking again!" every time it's used.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:21 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #14384
Do you have a picture or drawing, at this point I can't imagine what this looks like.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #11226
I will grab some pics at home and post.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:33 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
So welcome to the 30.2 as mine does the same thing. I caulked, re-caulked, sealed...no cure. But since the leak seems to come from the channel under the shower door if I keep the hand held shower head aimed away from the door or toward the faucet of the shower I notice I get little to mostly no leak.

Tags
leak, shower