Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:07 PM   #22

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
You must be from from East Texas if 25mph winds stop you.
West Texas or the panhandle of Texas along with most of the plains states 25mph is a light breeze, especially spring time.

I live in Dallas area. Owned an RV 7 months now and until today, I have never seen or encountered 25 MPH winds ANYWHERE in my RV. Yes it would stop me because during a trip from Florida the wind freaked me out and it could not have been more than 15 - 20 mph? I am boater, and I never take my boat out when it is white capping on the lake and that starts at about 12-15 mph. FWIW, I have driven to Midland, TX several times in my SUV with a U haul in tow. My son lives there. Winds (short tornados / hurricanes) don't spook me in the SUV; but I know well about high winds in West Texas that tend to push me simply because of the U haul. Simple Physics say it is NOT a good thing to be in the same with 30 ft RV with winds twice what I view as normal. I have seen many a truck toppled on side of road due to wind gust going to Midland Big Spring etc. I am not a trucker and I don't like the wind yes I will avoid when I can.

Back to the fuel mileage, if that's of big concern as to getting 6 mpg or 8 mpg then you should probably not get into rving, whether driving or towing a RV fuel is going to be the biggest expense. So cool it down by whatever means it keeps you comfortable & go enjoy.
I am not sure why you are directing this to me, I never said anything about being concerned with gas mileage or my RV not being cool? In fact; I have been saying just the opposite. Please check the thread maybe you intended for someone else?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
both roof top a/cs set to 70F and the dash air medium high max a/c. i like to be cool driving, imo generator has no noticeable effect on mpg, or perceived fuel burn, i stop at 1/4 and fill up and get a hard 7.5 mpg no matter, even with genny running wide open the distance between fill ups does not changed enough to make me worry
Old 05-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #24

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am not sure why you are directing this to me, I never said anything about being concerned with gas mileage or my RV not being cool? In fact; I have been saying just the opposite. Please check the thread maybe you intended for someone else?
The mileage wasn't directed at you, which is why there's 2 paragraphs! I just didn't bother to separate the wind remarks in quotes from your post. Sorry to upset you!
But you did mention the wind!! Which is what I was commenting about!
We moved from the Texas panhandle after living there our entire lives to Ft Worth, the 1st rain storm the DW saw out the window she said "look at that!" to which I said "what?" she said "that rain is coming straight down" rarely see that where we were raised, usually about 45 degrees or parallel with the ground.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #25

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
A/C dash or generator

We also have a class A motorhome. The dash A/C and the dash heater are both ineffective. We run the fans (above the dash) sometimes to help circulate the air (warm or cold).

If it is hot outside we always have to run the roof A/Cs because the dash unit just can't handle it. Same with winter season, except then we have to run the "furnace" (an Aqua Hot in our case).

We have thought about using a curtain but haven't tried it yet.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #26

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps RVs should come equipped with anemometers that show the speed and direction the the wind...
Some do, but are only effective/accurate when parked..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
I owned a 32' class C Four Winds for many years before moving up to an A, and pretty much comfort was always outside conditions, roads and how many occupants., your animas are occupants. If we went across the US in the northern region dash ac worked good until you hit the Rockies, then before getting there would turn the house ac's as low as they would go. Hit the rockies with only the house ac, turned off the cab ac.

Going the southern route, because of the higher humidity, eastern US to Northern Texas, we used both. between the higher humidity and higher heat it took both to be comfortable. Only turned off the cab ac when we went into the Smokies. Same thing with parts of the Appalachian hills.

Oh the doghouse was insulated very well, that was the biggest help of all.

I hope this helps a little,
Old 05-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Some do, but are only effective/accurate when parked..
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #29

State: Florida
THOR #14396
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I have never experienced driving a class C so what I think may not make much difference. I would think the front air would be great to keep the up front passengers cool, but nothing else.

In both of my class A's I have always used the on board ac units to keep the coach cool. Heres my thoughts on the use of a generator while traveling. With it running not only do I keep the whole coach cool by using the ac, I also keep the refrigerator cold by using elect. instead of propane. When traveling 6hr plus days we also like to have something cooking in the slow cooker so when we are done for the day supper is ready.

Lets talk my idea of mileage, yes its nice to know what mileage you are getting but when it comes down to it are you going to stop rving if your mileage drops down. I would say no. The running of the generator uses so little fuel to me its not worth not running it.

You have an RV so go out and use it have fun and at the end of the day you will feel great.
I like the concept of being able to use the slow cooker but where do put it that's stable enough that you're not in danger of it tipping over, spilling, etc?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by momartens View Post
I like the concept of being able to use the slow cooker but where do put it that's stable enough that you're not in danger of it tipping over, spilling, etc?
The sink
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #31

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
"Could you or someone explain your angle with 25+ headwinds?"
By definition, a headwind is coming on straight at you from the front.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #32

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
"Could you or someone explain your angle with 25+ headwinds?"
By definition, a headwind is coming on straight at you from the front.
The best way I can explain it is... A headwind can become a crosswind or a tailwind depending on variations in the direction you are traveling, the terrain, or the movement of the weather front. Bottom line is that in an RV any wind except a tail wind is not good.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:29 AM   #33

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
You must be from from East Texas if 25mph winds stop you.
West Texas or the panhandle of Texas along with most of the plains states 25mph is a light breeze, especially spring time.
Back to the fuel mileage, if that's of big concern as to getting 6 mpg or 8 mpg then you should probably not get into rving, whether driving or towing a RV fuel is going to be the biggest expense. So cool it down by whatever means it keeps you comfortable & go enjoy.
Bingo, you win. Fuel consumption is the last thing on my mind when going on a trip.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #34

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
Best way to cool coach while driving - Clarification of real ?

in my original question and statement of circumstances, I apparently did not make the real purpose of my question clear.

None-the-less, I really appreciate all of the suggestions and advice that has been replied.

My real concern is a mixture of cooling capacity, passenger comfort, gas mileage, an engine/transmission wear and tear.

Background:
On my recent trip to OKla from Wichita KS, on I-35 w/6 adult occupants & 2 large dogs, in my 2020 Class C [chevy 6.0L Express] Thor 22GOC, purchased in January, we had sustained 25mph headwinds [straight on towards me] with gusts to 35mph. The outside temperature was ~70F. I was running the dash A/C, with satisfactory coach temperatures. Road speed was 65mph. Because of the headwinds, the truck very frequently would downshift from 6th [1800rpm], to 5th [2300rpm], to even some lengthly runs in 4th gear [3300rpm]. Often, we would go several miles at 3300rpm over the rolling terrain. This made me very uncomfortable. I worried about the transmission fluid overheating. Eventually, I slowed to 55-60mph which really dragged out our trip time.
Questions:
Engine wear and tear/Gas Mileage/Comfort: Would running the generator and roof A/C as opposed to running the dash A/C, in the circumstances above, have [likely]/[unlikely]/[significantly]/[insignificantly] 1) Let the engine run slower rpm 2) Incur less wear and tear, 3)Notably improve gas mileage, and 4)Cool the coach about equally to the dash A/C?
Thanks again for your replies,
Jim C.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:22 AM   #35

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by momartens View Post
Rubber "hot mat" in sink and crock pot on it...[Don't forget to bungie cord the lid down...don't ask]

Pork roast last Christmas while traveling Gen set on . Wrap in foil- no seasonings...6 hrs on low.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_133116.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	23718  
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote