Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Best Way or Product to Prevent return of Mold on Awning

Greetings,

I just spent the last 2 1/2 hours cleaning the mold from the awning of our 3 year old Vegas 24.1 (both on the topside and the underside).
The procedure involved a power pressure washer set at 1500PSI, half a gallon of "Awsome", safety glasses, a folding step ladder and a long handled scrub brush.
The final "scrub down" required 4 Mr. Clean Magic Erasers followed by a heavy rinse cycle. Please note, using a 2"X4" Mr. Clean Magic Eraser by hand on a 18'X8' awning (both sides mind you) makes you wonder what was so "Magical" about the experience.
Now that the deed is done and the awning looks like new I am hoping that some of the more senior RVer's can advise as to products to protect the awning from a regrowth of the mold...or an easier way to remove it!
Our next awning will not be white on the underside.

DocReott

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:39 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24SR
State: Kansas
THOR #9869
Would love to see responses also!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The mold doesn’t grow on the awning fabric but rather on accumulated dirt and dust. There aren’t any products that I know of to prevent mold growth. Best prevention is to rinse the awning occasionally, to remove the dirt and dust you can’t really see, then leave the awning open to completely dry before rolling it up. (I have the same problem with my awning which is white on the bottom)

No magic bullet but I hope this is helpful to you.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

THOR #2142
We were caught in a bad storm in the NC mountains last trip, rolled the awning up (to protect it) and forgot to unroll and let it dry when we returned. That lesson has been learned!

Still wishing for magic!

Doc

Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Sunlight is our friend. Air dry and expose it to the sun. Super D is right on the growth.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I have the same issue. I unroll it if I will be around. The smell after it is closed up wet and sits is pretty nasty. I have tried spraying with cleaner with mixed results.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

THOR #2142
So far it looks like there may be no magic bullets available for awning cleaning.

I wipe down the inside of all the storage bays twice a year with BioCide, a disinfectant we use at the office to wipe down the Dental Chairs between patients. It does a great job keeping the storage bays mold-free...but does leave a slight orange tint if it pools anywhere.

Also, Lysol Power Foam Bathroom Cleaner (mentioned elsewhere this forum) does a great job cleaning the black streaks (mold? or "air-dirt"?) that forms on the sides of our RV from time to time.

I had hoped someone might have found an "off-label" use for some other product for use on the awning.

Doc

Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I have been using "BioWave Marine" products this year. The cleaner and mold & mildew eliminator seem to be working well. It is not a magic bullet but it works better than anything else I have tried.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Where do you buy that product?
It sounds as if it's worth a try!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Thanks for the info.

Doc

Old 06-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Purchase a good degreaser wet down the awning as you roll it up spray the degreaser on once up leave it there for about 20 minutes open awning and was off
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Purchase a good degreaser wet down the awning as you roll it up spray the degreaser on once up leave it there for about 20 minutes open awning and was off
Done this many times. It always works.
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #13

THOR #2142
Fhenn,

Now that sounds like a plan!!!

Any preference on a degreaser?

Doc

Old 06-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #121
Used them all 409 Awsom and some I got from a detail section in a auto Parts store
The wonder Schnauzers
Old 06-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #15

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Greetings,

I just spent the last 2 1/2 hours cleaning the mold from the awning of our 3 year old Vegas 24.1 (both on the topside and the underside).
The procedure involved a power pressure washer set at 1500PSI, half a gallon of "Awsome", safety glasses, a folding step ladder and a long handled scrub brush.
The final "scrub down" required 4 Mr. Clean Magic Erasers followed by a heavy rinse cycle. Please note, using a 2"X4" Mr. Clean Magic Eraser by hand on a 18'X8' awning (both sides mind you) makes you wonder what was so "Magical" about the experience.
Now that the deed is done and the awning looks like new I am hoping that some of the more senior RVer's can advise as to products to protect the awning from a regrowth of the mold...or an easier way to remove it!
Our next awning will not be white on the underside.

DocReott
DopcMike, sounds like you did an awesome job cleaning yours. I live fairly close to you and was wondering if you could swing by and tackle mine?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #121
Hopefully Hunter 11 will chime in here if I remember right he mixes bleech with water to get his clean
The wonder Schnauzers
Old 06-24-2018, 01:09 AM   #17

Model: thor 22FE
THOR #3371
I just finished cleaning mine with Tilex with clorox bleach in it.I am very satisfied with results. Spray it on. Wait 5 minutes and wipe it off. It went from ugly to white. All I used was a step ladder and a roll of paper towels. For whatever reason it is also sold as clorox with tilex in it. Available at doller general and Wal mart.

Patrick

There is also a product at home Depot called clam shell that is supposed to prevent mold. Have a bottle but haven't tried it yet.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:53 AM   #18

Model: Ace
THOR #11068
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
I just finished cleaning mine with Tilex with clorox bleach in it.I am very satisfied with results. Spray it on. Wait 5 minutes and wipe it off. It went from ugly to white. All I used was a step ladder and a roll of paper towels. For whatever reason it is also sold as clorox with tilex in it. Available at doller general and Wal mart.

Patrick

There is also a product at home Depot called clam shell that is supposed to prevent mold. Have a bottle but haven't tried it yet.

I had a tent rental business I used a product call wet and forget after cleaning tent u spray on material u can put it away wet and never had a problem with mold coming back it lasted a long time bought it on line someone told me he say in Home Depot under another name I bought my rv it was treated from factory by a company called Dura-Tain so far so good
Old 06-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #19

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
a line of products I recently found out about from my sister who had good experiences. I haven't tried their stain remover yet, but I have tried the mold control. So far their claims seem to be plausible...

Home - Concrobium
Old 06-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Wow, I’m learning about all kinds of products I never knew existed, glad DocMike started this thread!!!