Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Axis 25.6 "Otto"
State: Michigan
THOR #24224
Bet You’ve never seen this- wish me luck

Just wanted to share this with everyone since i've been lurking about this Forum for years and have never seen this before.

Tomorrow I head to Indiana for my 7am (Yawn!) Monday morning appointment at Thor service to repair my slide rollers. As you may be able to tell from the pictures, ever one of my slide rollers were installed in the wrong place, some completely missing the aluminum strip they should ride on, or half-on/half-off. And the worse one is the front most one that has collapsed because half of it is unsupported due to most of it being under the metal channel in the slide that carries the electrical lines, etc.

This all started when my floor started to get gouged by the slide. Further inspection revealed a rivet from the aluminum plate on the underside of the slide was gouging the vinyl. Getting my endoscope under revealed the rolling was NEXT to the plate, not under it-- so not supporting the slide where it should. Looking at the rest of the rollers I was truly shocked, yes, even after reading all the other horror stories, to find not a single roller was in the right place. Really thought I’ve seen it all through this forum, but…

I'm hoping upon hope that Thor doesn't give me much of a hard time over this. I will say these forums seem to have good things to say about the people there, so... having this fixed will be a great Christmas present to have going into our first full season come spring.

I will let everyone know how this turns out this week. Repairs are estimated 3-5 days, if they have parts.

Thanks again for everyone on this forum... it's great!

Best,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF0880AF-193D-4D08-943B-A9A439780A71.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	35085   Click image for larger version

Name:	C44FAE70-EB67-484D-A595-2A5B78708704.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	35086  

Name:	EE3DBFE3-A443-47E6-8E4C-05FE04D148B9.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	35087   Click image for larger version

Name:	C04CECC0-7C4C-40C7-836A-742122C68B7E.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	35088  

Name:	1EB38E76-22B6-4833-A999-439F2C006A0E.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	35089   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDA30818-7397-4DB3-B08E-768DC170034B.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	35090  

Old 12-04-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Good luck.

Make sure your rig is winterized before turning it over to Thor.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #3

THOR #24224
Thanks! Been winterized for months… gets cold in Michigan.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:02 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck!
Old 12-05-2021, 03:40 AM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Wow, that's crazy. Good luck with it.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:25 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Someone on the assembly line need’s glasses
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #7

THOR #24224
Quick update

Dropped Otto off yesterday morning at 7am at Thor service center after spending the night at a hotel in Goshen. Matt was my write-up guy and was really great. He even said they can fix the gouge on the floor without ever knowing it was there, and would test the slide several times after repair to ensure the motors and gears have not been over-stressed and, if so, will replace everything.

Only thing that will delay it’s return is waiting on parts, but who cares? It’s December in Michigan, I’m not going anywhere soon.

So… so far, so good. I’m happy I waited all these months to have the factory deal with this… gives me confidence it will be done right. Let’s hope I’m not just delusional.

I’ll update again as soon as I pick the rig up, or get additional news.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to see that the rig is in the right hands...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35m
THOR #13505
Best of Luck.

Had both my slides Rebuilt in our rig and been great for last couple years. Thor paid for it all at our repair shop.

Good thing it is when you are not using your rig!!

Tomorrow I head to Indiana for my 7am (Yawn!) Monday morning appointment at Thor service to repair my slide rollers. As you may be able to tell from the pictures, ever one of my slide rollers were installed in the wrong place, some completely missing the aluminum strip they should ride on, or half-on/half-off. And the worse one is the front most one that has collapsed because half of it is unsupported due to most of it being under the metal channel in the slide that carries the electrical lines, etc.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #17235
I live in Michigan and have a 2020 Thor 29m with one of the slide rollers installed 1/2 way off the wear plate. I am the second owner and have been debating whether or not to do anything about it. It appears to be adequately supported as is and there is no gouging or other damage that I can see. (yet) Mine is the roller under the couch in the front of the slide so is not loaded as heavily as the rollers further back under the sink, stove, fridge and furnace. I just noticed the condition a couple of months ago while doing a pre-winter storage inspection. What model year is your Axis? I don't see where you mentioned that. Is it still under original warranty or will Thor repair this kind of defect at no charge even after the warranty has expired? I have not done much research but it looks like the slide would have to be removed to get to the screws that hold the roller down to the floor, maybe I'm missing something or maybe they have special tools.
Please update this thread when the work is done, I would appreciate any info about this problem and the solution. Thank you.
-Ken
Old 12-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #11

THOR #24224
Update: All fixed

Funny you should ask, Vibeman, because we just got back from Elkhart, IN yesterday with our 2019 Axis all fixed... and then some. I am also the second owner of my motorhome after purchasing it with only 8000 miles on it from a lovely couple who were also forum members. Am I still under warranty? I don't know, but Thor removed my full-wall slide, replaced the rollers, put it back together and then did a complete PDI on my Axis, which uncovered 3 more problems I was unaware of, all at not charge to me. Yes, I waited 3 months for this appointment, and they had my rig for 2 weeks, but I simply couldn't be happier.

During the PDI, they discovered "bumps" (I would call it acne) on the interior wall by the passenger seat, and a few more by the drivers seat which led them to discover a passenger window that was never sealed right. they removed the wallpaper(?) and sanded down the wood and recovered it on both sides. They also found where my awning was installed incorrectly that allowed a screw to penetrate and create a leak, which they fixed. it went through the rain test twice while down there.

Finally, I had no idea that the front nightshade was suppose to automatically stop when going up or down. I just thought you let up on the button when it got to where you wanted it. You don't know, what you don't know... despite reading so much. They programmed it to stop automatically going up and down. Furthermore, you know how while the engine is running it will only lower so far then stop? Turns out, this can be programmed too, and they did it while I was there so that it would lower more with the engine on so that I could use it as a sunshade while driving (we are a vertically challenged couple!). This was absolutely awesome for me, as the few times I've driven into sun, I was really screwed since it just didn't lower enough to block the sun for me.

My write-up and main contact was a very helpful and communicative gentleman by the name of Matt Frazier and the tech who repaired and PDI'ed my Axis was Shawn Bear. Both great guys who provided service above and beyond.

I've lurked around this Forum and investigated motorhomes for well over 10 years before pulling the trigger last August. Knowing (from this forum) that the Thor repair facility was there was an additional reason I pulled the trigger... only a 4 hour drive for me. Thankfully I didn't have to rely on a dealer to do this... which I am sure would have cost $$$.

Will they do the same for you Vibeman? I don't know... as they say, your mileage may vary. I've read others who did not have such a positive outcome as I have. All I can say is... Thor has made a customer for life in me... and I never thought I would ever say that!
Old 12-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #12

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Good for you that they fixed the problem. Unfortunately for me, driving to the factory is NOT an option. I have been going back and forth with my local RV dealer and THOR warranty support for my slide out fix. My dealer sent the authorization request to THOR. THOR approved a fix, that was NOT what the dealer recommended. THOR want to replace the slide rail mechanism FIRST and adjust the rollers. The problem is... THOR sent the WRONG parts to my dealer. When I reach out to THOR, they confirmed the sent the WRONG parts. They placed an order for the CORRECT parts. The problem now is that the supplier DO NOT have the parts available. So we wait.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:33 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirny View Post
Funny you should ask, Vibeman, because we just got back from Elkhart, IN yesterday with our 2019 Axis all fixed... and then some. I am also the second owner of my motorhome after purchasing it with only 8000 miles on it from a lovely couple who were also forum members. Am I still under warranty? I don't know, but Thor removed my full-wall slide, replaced the rollers, put it back together and then did a complete PDI on my Axis, which uncovered 3 more problems I was unaware of, all at not charge to me. Yes, I waited 3 months for this appointment, and they had my rig for 2 weeks, but I simply couldn't be happier.

During the PDI, they discovered "bumps" (I would call it acne) on the interior wall by the passenger seat, and a few more by the drivers seat which led them to discover a passenger window that was never sealed right. they removed the wallpaper(?) and sanded down the wood and recovered it on both sides. They also found where my awning was installed incorrectly that allowed a screw to penetrate and create a leak, which they fixed. it went through the rain test twice while down there.

Finally, I had no idea that the front nightshade was suppose to automatically stop when going up or down. I just thought you let up on the button when it got to where you wanted it. You don't know, what you don't know... despite reading so much. They programmed it to stop automatically going up and down. Furthermore, you know how while the engine is running it will only lower so far then stop? Turns out, this can be programmed too, and they did it while I was there so that it would lower more with the engine on so that I could use it as a sunshade while driving (we are a vertically challenged couple!). This was absolutely awesome for me, as the few times I've driven into sun, I was really screwed since it just didn't lower enough to block the sun for me.

My write-up and main contact was a very helpful and communicative gentleman by the name of Matt Frazier and the tech who repaired and PDI'ed my Axis was Shawn Bear. Both great guys who provided service above and beyond.

I've lurked around this Forum and investigated motorhomes for well over 10 years before pulling the trigger last August. Knowing (from this forum) that the Thor repair facility was there was an additional reason I pulled the trigger... only a 4 hour drive for me. Thankfully I didn't have to rely on a dealer to do this... which I am sure would have cost $$$.

Will they do the same for you Vibeman? I don't know... as they say, your mileage may vary. I've read others who did not have such a positive outcome as I have. All I can say is... Thor has made a customer for life in me... and I never thought I would ever say that!
I am glad you had a great experience. I like to hear an occasional positive story amongst all the gripes. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirny View Post
Funny you should ask, Vibeman, because we just got back from Elkhart, IN yesterday with our 2019 Axis all fixed... and then some.

Thank you Dirny, based on your experience I think I will call Thor and see what they will do for me. I have not had a lot of problems with my coach but there are a couple of other things I would have them take a look at and it is only a 3 1/2 hour drive to Elkhart for me. If they will fix it for free, (and do a good job) so much the better. We are headed south in a couple of weeks so I will have plenty of time to schedule an appointment before we come back north in the spring.
Again, thank you for your informative reply.
-Ken