Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Those whales have some really bad breath............like 10 barrels of rotten fish.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But how bad would our black tank vents smell to them?
Old 10-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Those whales have some really bad breath............like 10 barrels of rotten fish.
They indeed do.
Once you get a whiff of it you'll be able to smell one breeching downwind two miles away and out of the blue, in the middle of the desert, ten years after you've smelled your last one, your nose will squeeze out a lite whiff... Just like black tank sometimes does. .

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
They indeed do.
Once you get a whiff of it you'll be able to smell one breeching downwind two miles away and out of the blue, in the middle of the desert, ten years after you've smelled your last one, your nose will squeeze out a lite whiff... Just like black tank sometimes does. .
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1603723934
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horrified.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	26889  
Old 10-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #26

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But how bad would our black tank vents smell to them?
That is a good question. I would bet there are some studies on that somewhere.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #27

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow Judge, this is what I needed. I am going to put your lessons learned in my personal SOP for future

Few noteworthy points
1. Our toilet is on passenger side with drain on driver side like yours, I looked at the plumbing diagram and there are several elbows
2. I am guilty of thinking the sani flush as savior and it needs help to be
3. If I could pick one mod for Winnebago, it would be to re-plumb the bathroom sink to drain to the black tank vs the gray. Or at least put a valve where you could divert to tank of your choice. The outside kitchen sink does drain to the black tank but it is seldom used.
4. Will Calgon water softener and Dawn have any chemical reaction to Thetford waste tank odor treatment?
5. After dumping the black, I usually let the saniflush run until all water is clear. I never thought to close it all back up and let it fill again with sani flush on and then re-dump. I will certainly try that.
6. And yes this facility had really low water pressure my guess 30 - 40 psi.

We typically add the Calgon and Dawn to about 5 gallons of water when we are pulling out of a site so it sloshes around the tank while driving. I don't think it will hurt the Thetford treatment but not 100% sure. We have not had odor or blockage issues with our approach.

The San-T-Flush is good in theory but with too many variables on where they place it in the tank, camp water pressure, etc. I have found it is most effective ads an easy way to fill the black tank with water to flush out remaining waist.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #28

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
We typically add the Calgon and Dawn to about 5 gallons of water when we are pulling out of a site so it sloshes around the tank while driving. I don't think it will hurt the Thetford treatment but not 100% sure. We have not had odor or blockage issues with our approach.

The San-T-Flush is good in theory but with too many variables on where they place it in the tank, camp water pressure, etc. I have found it is most effective ads an easy way to fill the black tank with water to flush out remaining waist.
I have done some more research

I don't think that I was clogged at all anymore. Here is my new theory. Attached is diagram of my plumbing. It ties to what you were saying earlier about the toilet being on the passenger side. Based on a assumptive level dump site; the drainage is in favor of the gray tank as drain is on bottom, but black tank flows through the side of waste tank. The flange of the drain pipe on the wall would cause some depth above the floor of black waste tank. I think I had drained properly and all was good with no issues and no clog. Then when I drove for 15 min to go home, the black wastewater sloushed the 2-3 gallons that were below the drain line or not level to drain out. It overflowed to the sewer cap where it was caught. I never noticed before because the black tank valve has always closed and caught it.

I bet if were to raise both rear tires 1 or 2 inches it would all have drained out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	draining.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	26896  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:02 AM   #29

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
That is certainly plausible and gives you something to try next time out.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #30

THOR #13058
I was able to confirm that when I raise my rear jacks in my driveway that already had a slight water runoff slope I was able to catch 1/3 gallon of water from my black tank. (Note: My black tank has been cleaned and was previously loaded and drained like normal of the fresh water added to it)

So this confirms that when at the dump facility, even though it was a level surface, my black tank retained 1 1/2 gallons of water. But when home the slight slope allowed more to drain out. To go 100% empty, I had to raise the rear about 2 inches.

Lessons Learned
1. I now have a 3' Clear Camco sewer fitting that I will always use over sewer cap. That way I will always know
2. Waiting on my Flojet Macerator (due tomorrow) so in future I may pump both tanks to a toilet at home and not use the local the storage facility anymore or as much.
3. I will continue to use the slinky when traveling, but know that it may have 2 gallons in black tank when the natural drain finishes. I don't plan to raise jacks every time I dump, but just maybe; if I know a very hard freeze is coming? I doubt 24 oz of black waste water can do any damage in the bottom of black waste holding tank.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's lots of room for that sludge to freeze and expand; don't worry a bit about it!
What are you gonna grind up first with the Flo-Jet?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
There's lots of room for that sludge to freeze and expand; don't worry a bit about it!
What are you gonna grind up first with the Flo-Jet?
I may be having buyers remorse on the Flo-Jet

1. Not sure how I will get power to it? I am thinking about bringing my portable generator around as it has 12vdc output. Not sure I wish to try to run wire underneath coach to the batteries? I don't have wire long enough anyway. Maybe if it works good with generator, I will have to take it back to a dealer to install a 12vdc plug in in the wet bay compartment?

2. After buying I read a lot of comments where the Flo-Jets blow the 20amp fuse Some are saying you need a screwdriver to turn a little knob on the end before each use to avoid blowing 20amp fuses

3. I first plan to grind about 20 gallons of freshwater that I will add to my now bone dry empty tanks

4. I have 25' 5/8 Camco sewer hose, but to get to my toilet, I need about 60 - 75 ft. I am not sure whether to take my oldest 50' hose to attached to the Camco hose for the initial test? Or buy a 3/4" 100ft or 75' hose? If I buy a 100' hose I may have to cut it, I only need it to reach the toilet a rise of about 2'
Old 10-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Why not just run some wiring to your battery compartment? It just seems like a natural fit...
Old 10-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #34

Model: Pinnacle 300
THOR #20005
I run our macerator off a battery charger.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:45 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster210 View Post
I run our macerator off a battery charger.
How do you that? I have one of the Schumacher Chargers but you have to set it for 2, 10 or 50 amps. That Jet Flo need 16 amps so 50amps may burn it up?

I admit the portable 3500 Sinemate generator will be a pain to pull it out, but on the other hand any time I can use it is good for it
Old 10-29-2020, 11:50 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Why not just run some wiring to your battery compartment? It just seems like a natural fit...
Battery compartment is on opposite of coach, to much trouble to lift the step hatch to put alligator clips on it. So my plan to is to make sure it works like I expect and then have it professionally wired to wet bank. I could prolly do it, but I want it to look nice in that wire loom etc.

I thought about tapping in to the 12v for the water pump as it is in the wet bay, but I am not sure if the existing wiring for it can handle 15 - 20 amps? Plus I would have to always ensure the water pump is off when dumping. One more thing to remember that I may forget. I forgot all the other things I may not remember already
Old 10-30-2020, 12:01 AM   #37

Model: Pinnacle 300
THOR #20005
I got one of the schumacher charger jumper boxes from walmart. The tall ones with wheels on it. Honestly IF I had one with a 10 amp setting Id try it. As long as the pump doesnt bog down and lock up it shouldn't hurt it. Its just going to use EVERY amp the charger has to offer. The 50 amp setting is possibly going to burn up the pump although it would shred the hell out of stuff for a minute or two before it lets the smoke out.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
How do you that? I have one of the Schumacher Chargers but you have to set it for 2, 10 or 50 amps. That Jet Flo need 16 amps so 50amps may burn it up?

I admit the portable 3500 Sinemate generator will be a pain to pull it out, but on the other hand any time I can use it is good for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster210 View Post
I got one of the schumacher charger jumper boxes from walmart. The tall ones with wheels on it. Honestly IF I had one with a 10 amp setting Id try it. As long as the pump doesnt bog down and lock up it shouldn't hurt it. Its just going to use EVERY amp the charger has to offer. The 50 amp setting is possibly going to burn up the pump although it would shred the hell out of stuff for a minute or two before it lets the smoke out.
Chargers are not going to shove amps down a battery's or any other load's throat. Think about it: when you set the battery charger to 50 amps (and assuming it has an ammeter with it) you will only see 50 amps on a dead battery at the beginning of the charge. As the battery voltage increases, the current decreases.

Power supplies apply VOLTAGE. CURRENT is drawn by the load. You may set the current to 50 amps, but that is the MAX current it will supply. If the load only needs 16 amps, that's all the power supply will provide.

Electric theory 101.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Chargers are not going to shove amps down a battery's or any other load's throat. Think about it: when you set the battery charger to 50 amps (and assuming it has an ammeter with it) you will only see 50 amps on a dead battery at the beginning of the charge. As the battery voltage increases, the current decreases.

Power supplies apply VOLTAGE. CURRENT is drawn by the load. You may set the current to 50 amps, but that is the MAX current it will supply. If the load only needs 16 amps, that's all the power supply will provide.

Electric theory 101.
Wow, I never knew that. I just know when I put it on a car battery I best get it off quickly because it will get hot fast. So you are saying if I put the charge on 50 amps and put on brand new battery with no load it will just sit there like a frog on a log?

It is certainly worth a try, I would have two ways to supply power at home, portable generator or the charger. Again, I just don't see why I would ever need a macerator on the road or when camping?

I am also thinking I am going to sacrifice my oldest 50' 5/8" hose to marry up with my 25' 5/8" Camco Sewer hose for my first test to the toilet. I want to get a 3/4" 75' hose to use but I may have to shop around to find what I like. Besides if the 5/8" proves adequate, I may just buy new 75' replacement for home car / garden use.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:36 AM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got n older battery charger (brand unknown); with a dial on it, that allows me to more accurately set how much amperage I want it to throw at a problem.
I'll try to grab a picture of it for you.