Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #14605
Black tank won’t work

Brand new 2019 Thor axis 27.7. Had it 4 weeks and it spend 3 weeks in repair shop and they never got to it. Have multiple problems. Very poor workmanship but aside from that I took it out on first trip this weekend and when came time to empty tank black tank did nothing.. Grey tank worked. Just used 2 days with lots of water so don’t see how it could be clogged. With so many other issues my first thought is handle is broke or not installed properly. Just in case it is clogged should I try the ice in tank and drive it around? Any suggestions?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum.
I'm sorry to hear about such a "crappy" situation...
Are you sure that you don't have a second valve that is further "upstream", and closer to the tank?
(My outlaw had one... what a sneaky thing to do! )

Follow the plumbing back toward the tank, and see if you find another valve...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Plenty of utube videos on how to unclog a black tank.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well its brand new so you could always have some plastic scraps blocking it. When they drill the tank holes the scraps go into the tank. So you might have some 2 or 3 inches round scraps laying just right?

Did you used enough water to help flush tank? Many folks use toilet water sparingly and if you started with a dry tank more water might help to flush it out. I always add about 2 or 3 gallons of water to my freshly empty black tank then lots of water between flushs (as long as your not worried about running out of water on your trip).

Your model should have a black tank flush as well. Hook it up and let it run for 5 minutes ... see if it will dump. Then try 10 min but dont overfill tank (you can check tank level gauge or look down the tolet with a flash light so see height of water).

Drive arond with full black tank and curvy rough road. Use lots of choppy brakes and see if that loosen it up?

Let us know how it goes.

Oh yeah.... congrats on your new RV. Hang in there ... you will get all (well most) of the bugs worked out first year (But new ones will arise ).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My Freedom Elite also had a second slide valve. It was on the opposite side of the coach from the dump valve. Don’t know if Axises use the same system. It’s easy once you know about it and I hope that’s all you’re looking at.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Same thing with my previous Coachmen MH. The toilet was on the curb/passenger side of the coach, and there was a second slide valve right below there on a pipe leading to the black tank. (It SHOULD normally be open, but strange things have been known to happen with RVs.) And of course the dump valve was on the street/driver side.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 28z
THOR #5745
My Thor Chateau also has a 2nd black tank valve.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If you have two valves I’d recommend keeping BOTH closed until dumping. I assume the second (remote) one is there to keep the....um....”solids” from settling in the drain line and compacting there creating a plugged line.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have not seen any Axis with two valves but his floor plan has the curbside toiet so he might have two.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote