Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #24355
New to me, 2019 Citation 24SJ Electrical

Picked up this used 2019 at the dealer yesterday. Drove home (5hrs) and parked. This morning went out to start getting it ready for our first camping trip with it.

First off…EVERYTHING worked at the dealer yesterday.

PROBLEM #1 Every time I try to plug in external power the C/B (house) pops instantly, no matter which outlet I use. I am using the cord that came with it, that they were using at the dealer yesterday. Our previous camper used these outlets with no problem.

#2 The AUX generator (Onan) will not start. Started fine at the dealer yesterday.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Usually the generator starts by using the house batteries to start it up and run. Start looking at the house batteries. There should be another breaker at the house batteries that might have tripped. You need to look into the house battery box to find that breaker. If it was tripped there will be either a red or yellow flag showing. You just need to push it back in to get it working again. Not sure by what you mean you are using the cord that came with it? Do you mean the 30 amp 3 prone power cord? Are you plugging into an adapter to plug into you home to supply 120 to your motor home? If so, sometimes the home outlet will shut off if it is connected to a GFCI. If it is throwing the breaker inside your coach, there is something wrong with the incoming voltage through your 30 amp cord to your house. You need to work backwards from the house to the cord to the motor home to the breaker to determine where the issue is located.

Paul
Old 08-01-2021, 10:18 PM   #3

THOR #24355
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Are you plugging into an adapter to plug into you home to supply 120 to your motor home? If so, sometimes the home outlet will shut off if it is connected to a GFCI. If it is throwing the breaker inside your coach, there is something wrong with the incoming voltage through your 30 amp cord to your house. You need to work backwards from the house to the cord to the motor home to the breaker to determine where the issue is located.

Paul
Paul, yes I am using an adapter to plug into the house. No matter what outlet I plug into, GFCI or not, the house breakers trips, not the campers. I never tripped a breaker with our prior campers.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:48 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Is A/C turned on? If you have everything off in the RV does it trip the house breaker?
Old 08-01-2021, 11:11 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
When I plug into my house through the adapter, I do not try to run the air conditioner. I use it to get the refrigerator cold, operate a few interior lights and/or a fan. I have tried to use the air conditioner but it trips the GFCI inside my house. It draws too many amps to operate correctly. I also charge up my house batteries at the same time.

Paul
Old 08-02-2021, 01:37 AM   #6

THOR #24355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Is AC turned on? If you have everything off in the RV does it trip the house breaker?
Yes, I even went as far as tripping all the breakers in the RV. The house breaker still pops as soon as I plug the cord into the house while it is connected to the RV. Just the cord alone does not pop the breaker but as soon as I connect the cord to the RV………
Old 08-02-2021, 03:38 AM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
As mentioned, a GFCI breaker/outlet may trip when the unit is plugged in. Is it a GFCI protected circuit you are plugging into?
Old 08-02-2021, 04:28 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWait View Post
Yes, I even went as far as tripping all the breakers in the RV. The house breaker still pops as soon as I plug the cord into the house while it is connected to the RV. Just the cord alone does not pop the breaker but as soon as I connect the cord to the RV………
Breakers trip due to excess current.
Excess current can be caused by a short.
Since the cord by itself does not trip the breaker - it is not shorted
Since the breaker trips when the MH is plugged in, even with all MH breakers opened, the short is in the wiring or Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) in the MH.
Get out the multimeter and start tracing wires looking for the short.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Where does Thor generally place the auto power transfer switch? Is it repairable/replaceable? I’m not real confident with electrical.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Where does Thor generally place the auto power transfer switch? Is it repairable/replaceable? I’m not real confident with electrical.
The ATS is generally close by/behind the power distribution panel. It is replaceable but a lot of times an ATS problem is due to the poor connections made with wire nuts.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #11

THOR #24355
*******UPDATE******
Problem resolved! Went to a campground and plugged in. Everything worked as it should. Have had three other campers and never had a problem plugging directly into the house. Guessing a will be putting in a dedicated 30AMP circuit at home for the camper.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #12

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
So the one thing different from home and the campground is the 30 to 15 amp adapter. Could be a bad adapter. Try it at the campground - plug into the 20 amp at the pedestal using the adapter and see if you have the problem.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:52 PM   #13

THOR #24355
I have three, two of which I used on our last camper. Will try all three at our next campground.