Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31e
State: Alabama
THOR #4513
Angry Blown Converter Fuse

28 Chateau C class 2007
Twice in the last few months both of my converter fuses have blown. Anybody else having this problem? Know a solution?

Old 07-14-2019, 02:15 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum.

I assume you mean both the converter reverse polarity fuses are blowing? Usually they blow if the battery terminals are hooked up in reverse, or can also blow if the converter 12vdc output wiring bus is shorted accidentally; or if the overall load connected on the converter 12vdc bus output draws more than the reverse polarity fuse rating (usually 30 or 40 amp depending on rating of converter). On many coaches there is also a re-settable 50 amp breaker between the converter 12vdc output and the coach battery/ use-store latching relay. Sometimes that breaker will trip open as well depending on where the overload occurs. Another exciting situation is when folks incorrectly hookup their “add on” inverter 120vac output to feed the main coach ac breaker panel (via an add on transfer switch – so shore and inverter output don’t connect together) which also feeds the coach converter......so in effect you have an inverter running off coach batteries powering the 120vac input of the converter which is also charging the coach batteries........so very quickly fuses/breakers will usually open/trip.
So any physical load changes or electrical work being done when your fuses blow? Have the correct sized fuses been used to replace blown fuses? Are coach batteries in good condition/state of charge?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 31e
State: Alabama
THOR #4513
Javelin thank you for your answer.
The only unusual thing that the two events have in common is very discharged coach batteries. I have brought them back up to full charge this time with an outside charger. That might have been the issue. The two fuses are next to each other on the 12 volt distribution panel and are 30 amps each. I think the converter is 40 amps. I wonder if this difference is the issue.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Blown Converter Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians View Post
The two fuses are next to each other on the 12 volt distribution panel and are 30 amps each. I think the converter is 40 amps. I wonder if this difference is the issue.

That could be your issue. Which converter do you have? You should check the recommendations from the manufacturer for the fuses.

My converter uses 40a fuses for the reverse polarity circuit. It’s a WFCO 8935 and spec’ed for 35a DC output.

Tags
blown fuse, converter