Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
I get this a lot and get a bit tired of it. Howerer I will address it. No one is going to deny there is violence down here. However, it is targeted violence, unlike all the random stuff happening these days at home. Certainly RVers are not a target. Of course you can always be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that is the case every time you get out of bed. I have had closer calls in the US & Europe than I have in Mexico. I was a block away in Tucson when Gabby was shot for example. I was also in London near the bridge when the incident happened there a year back. I was in Italy last year and saw streets blocked with armoured vehicles near tourist attractions to protect against nuts in trucks mowing down crowds. In my 20's I was held for a week by Fedayeen in lebanon. On the other hand, you have little defense against random violence, be it terrorist or some nut job shooting up a Walmart or shooting at people from a Vegas hotel room. Targeted violence you can generally avoid by not indulging in things that make you a target like buying drugs or bar hopping at 2 AM. I did not work 35 years to sit on the couch watching the NatGeo channel. That ain't living.

BTW as a matter of interest i run a Facebook group. I posted photos of that rig belonging to the couple murdered in Texas. The perps took the stolen RV into Mexico. A member of my group spotted it and called the state Police in Jalisco. They were captured and returned to the US almost immediateley. They were spotted very close to where I am right now
You sure seem to be right next to where bad things have happened a lot. That tells me something and it should have told you that you are living on the edge. A simple statement about you being brave to go down to Mexico in your RV got you up on your soapbox talking about how bad it is everywhere in the US, Europe and of all places none of us would ever go, Lebanon. I have been to Mexico several times (flying) and I have relatives living in Mexico and all along the border in Texas. Every one of them says to stay away from Mexico. My brother works for ICE and my daughter works in their special unit on human trafficking and a friends sister works in the state department. All have shared horrible stories we don't see in the news. You wanna hang out down there fine. But don't come in here trying to convince people it's safe and the place to be because it's not. It is not safe you have just been very very lucky so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cartel.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	21619  

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Believe me I know all about RV accidents. No blowout involved and it was not my fault, but I was unable to control as soon as a shoulder was involved. I also did not hit my brakes. My dad who was a professional driver, (he taught cops how to avoid collisions) also drilled into me not to hit my brakes if there was any chance of driving out of a situation. Here is a photo and my dashcam video from mine a bit over a year ago. The accident happened in Canada. Note the speed on dash cam is in KPH, not MPH, i was doing the speed limit.

https://www.mexicocaravans.com/accident.avi

WOW. Man I hope that never happens to me. You litterly had nowhere to go. The only bright spot was you were in a vehicle with some safety designs built in. I would hate to have been in a Class A.

I noticed the video says "Garmen". Was that a standalone Cam or built into a Garmen GPS?
Old 11-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder, LOL
Just remember: Chicks really dig the Dude who likes to take risks...
Please tell me: Is this how you introduce yourself?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Believe me I know all about RV accidents. No blowout involved and it was not my fault, but I was unable to control as soon as a shoulder was involved. I also did not hit my brakes. My dad who was a professional driver, (he taught cops how to avoid collisions) also drilled into me not to hit my brakes if there was any chance of driving out of a situation. Here is a photo and my dashcam video from mine a bit over a year ago. The accident happened in Canada. Note the speed on dash cam is in KPH, not MPH, i was doing the speed limit.

https://www.mexicocaravans.com/accident.avi

This photo is exactly why I choose to ride in a Ford F550 commercial truck cab versus a carpenter built Class A shoebox with no seat belts. The truck/cab is totally intact...the camper body..well, it speaks for itself.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Seat belts...I actually meant air bags...still the same.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #27

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Carpenter? You mean a 19yo with a staple gun and a stack of 1x2s.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The term my have been used loosely...