Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 03:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #22540
Bolt through floor...

Hi there Thor forum community, I recently noticed in our 2018 Thor Ace 32.1 that a bolt wants to push through the vinyl floor Center of the wall isle in front of the refrigerator... Has anyone else had this issue arise??? Any suggestions short of peeling back the floor....

Old 05-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I have had one of those “pop up” small gauge floor bolts happen in front of the sofa many years ago. I believe it is caused from travel vibration and probably not being tightened down properly at the factory. These are the factory bolts that I think hold down the floor structure to the metal coach sub-frame beams mounted on the chassis. If it has not come up too far, you can go under the coach and find which specific bolt has un-threaded itself up under the vinyl flooring above. Have someone tap the floor while you go under the coach to help locate the offender. If you are lucky you can grab what is left of the threaded bolt under the metal floor beam and thread it back down to normal position by hand or pliers.......which will allow the vinyl floor to return to level again (if it has not been damaged). I used some blue thread locker on the one I had to make sure it did not happen again.
Worst case is if the bolt has literally threaded all the way up and there is nothing to grab below; then you might have to use a sharp exacto knife and make a small incision in the vinyl flooring right on top of the bolt head so you can get a screw driver in there and tighten the bolt back down. You might get away with not even seeing the cut if you do a clean sharp small incision. Might try a bit of vinyl floor glue if you want to seal the slice but it might make more of a mess. I would still try to use some blue thread locker on the exposed threads under the coach when the bolt has been tightened back down again. I have only ever had one bolt do this since new Sept 2012. Hope that helps.

Tags
vinyl floor