Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6099
advice on broken door lock

I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J. While out on a ranch over the weekend my door would not open. It was not locked, as I had the key and could turn the lock. The handle would open, but it turns out the tumbler inside did not move. Apparently after I shut the door like normal, something broke on the inside not letting the tumbler engage when I used the handle.

My phone, and access to the warranty repair were locked inside the motorhome. I managed to bend the door trim out to get a screw driver in to pry the tumbler back. I could not get enough of the tumbler to pass the bracket to let the door open. I then drilled the lock out, but that didnt work either.

I ended up prying the door trim back further and drilling out the bracket that blocked the tumbler from releasing the door, subsequently damaging the door pretty bad. After opening the door, I realized even if I were to have gotten in through a window, I would not have been able to get to the stuck tumbler to open the door.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem, and if so, what was the outcome? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
They break, fortunately not often! If you have the brand and model number you can get one overnighted from an RV supplier.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
I had the same failure except I was inside and could not get outside where my tools were in the belly. A phone call brought help and between us we got the lock disassembled and me out. The back end of the sliding latch piece had broken off so nothing short of getting the inside plate off would help. Once I had access to the guts i could catch the sliding broken piece and pull it back.
A total lock replacement was the only solution. Eighty miles or so in the toad to a place that had a lock similar enough I could make it work. Mine was 12 years old. I find it scary that you had an almost new one fail. Almost scared enough to want one of those driver side doors as an escape route. That emergency exit window is not an attractive option for an overweight 75 year old with no ladder out there.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #4816
I had exactly the same problem with door lock in my 2015 Vegas 24.1. Just before taking drastic/damaging action, we checked the windows one last time and found we could open the driver's side window. Even from the inside, it took disassembling the lock and some manipulation to get the door open.

By-the-way, through Thor the replacement lock was $198, but found the identical lock online for $98.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
The lock breakage seems to be a common thing. Mine broke, but I was outside and had tools available. I drilled the lock out and installed a new one, which is at the brink again. They use plastic/pot cast metal inside, and that stuff gives after a while.

I will try to find a better lock with all steel parts, it might be a little more expensive, but should last (hopefully)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
WOW.... same thing just happened to me this past week end. I was able to break in with a pocket knife after about 45 minutes in the dam rain. Dogs where inside this time and barking at me which was getting to me even more. Question is now, what is the fix so it never happens and what new lock is every one getting to avoid this from happening again?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
This happened to us this past summer......see below

Well go a phone call today from my DW at work.
As she was packing the rv (to go away this weekend) the lock broke and locked her inside.

She tried to take lock apart but didn't work.
As the last resort she climbed threw the driver window and got out."""i tried not to laugh but it didn't work"""

Well when I got home from work tried to get it unstuck with no success.

So I asked her climb back threw the window. And had her play with the lock uptill we finally got it open.

The main metal plunger for the lock broke.
Called Thor and they will ship a new one out but not till next weekend .
We had to cancel our trip

But the highlight of it all was that my house video cameras caught it all on film so I can watch her go in and out over and over again all weekend

Sorry she told me I am not allowed to post the video.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #8

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
This happened to us this past summer......see below

Well go a phone call today from my DW at work.
As she was packing the rv (to go away this weekend) the lock broke and locked her inside.

She tried to take lock apart but didn't work.
As the last resort she climbed threw the driver window and got out."""i tried not to laugh but it didn't work"""

Well when I got home from work tried to get it unstuck with no success.

So I asked her climb back threw the window. And had her play with the lock uptill we finally got it open.

The main metal plunger for the lock broke.
Called Thor and they will ship a new one out but not till next weekend .
We had to cancel our trip

But the highlight of it all was that my house video cameras caught it all on film so I can watch her go in and out over and over again all weekend

Sorry she told me I am not allowed to post the video.
Funny story, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

State: Arizona
THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr View Post
I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J. While out on a ranch over the weekend my door would not open. It was not locked, as I had the key and could turn the lock. The handle would open, but it turns out the tumbler inside did not move. Apparently after I shut the door like normal, something broke on the inside not letting the tumbler engage when I used the handle.

My phone, and access to the warranty repair were locked inside the motorhome. I managed to bend the door trim out to get a screw driver in to pry the tumbler back. I could not get enough of the tumbler to pass the bracket to let the door open. I then drilled the lock out, but that didnt work either.

I ended up prying the door trim back further and drilling out the bracket that blocked the tumbler from releasing the door, subsequently damaging the door pretty bad. After opening the door, I realized even if I were to have gotten in through a window, I would not have been able to get to the stuck tumbler to open the door.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem, and if so, what was the outcome? Thanks for your help.
If your lock is made by TriMark, the plunger is cheap zinc die cast. I contacted them directly and ordered the special higher priced unit with steel plunger.

I also cut a slit in door frame so I could slip a flat tool and depress plunger if ever happens again. When it happened first time, had to break into MH, then drill out door lock to get door open.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr View Post

Notice optional steel plunger¡Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170308-110342.png
Views:	994
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	4180Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170308-110331.png
Views:	796
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	4181
Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I am not sure if this is the reason. One time I parked on a soft gravel spot. Even though I used my levelers with plastic blocks under them, one side sunk. It actually bent the plastic block. The outcome was that my door would not close. I actually tied it shut that night. In the morning, I discovered the bent plastic. The frame had torqued. This would put tremendous pressure on the door lock. That may be the cause of the lock breaking.

Since I changed to heavy duty Utility Blocks, I haven't had the issue.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 40KQ
THOR #2912
Can these all metal plungers be purchased separately from an entirely new lock. Seems like it maybe a prudent thing to replace proactively if possible.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #13

THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Can these all metal plungers be purchased separately from an entirely new lock. Seems like it maybe a prudent thing to replace proactively if possible.
I bought my first replacement with std plungers, from rvpartscenter.com. $60. I ordered steel plunger version from trimark....$100+
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #14

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Door Latch

We recently had the TriMark door latch begin to bind up to the point where we were almost stuck inside the coach. I tightened screws, sprayed in some Teflon, etc., nothing seemed to help. Rather than have a very bad situation either being locked in or out, I bit the bullet and took the coach to my local RV repair center. The TriMark was replaced with a Bauer brand which was configured a little differently. Seems like it is working the right way now.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #15

State: New Mexico
THOR #1236
I've replaced my Citation Tri Mark door locks twice in the last two years for the same problem. Fortunately my coach is a class C so we can use the chassis doors when this happens. My last set of Tri Mark locks were the new and improved version and they failed within two months. As usual I notified Thor of the problem even though I am out of warranty with the idea that Thor owners have enough to worry about without having to worry about something as basic as a door lock malfunctioning. As usual, crickets.

I now carry a spare lock set and keep a screwdriver handy and am glad to have other emergency door options.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #16

THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
I've replaced my Citation Tri Mark door locks twice in the last two years for the same problem. Fortunately my coach is a class C so we can use the chassis doors when this happens. My last set of Tri Mark locks were the new and improved version and they failed within two months. As usual I notified Thor of the problem even though I am out of warranty with the idea that Thor owners have enough to worry about without having to worry about something as basic as a door lock malfunctioning. As usual, crickets.

I now carry a spare lock set and keep a screwdriver handy and am glad to have other emergency door options.
Not sure about new improved version, but the steel plunger must be specified when ordering.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #17

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
Door latch

Exact same thing happened to my ACE. I exited and closed the door. I didn’t lock it.
The next day it wouldn’t open. Couldn’t figure why. Luckily, I left window unlocked. I crawled through. The door wouldn’t open from the inside either. I then, from the inside, took apart the whole lock out of the door. It took about 30 minutes or more bc of having to crawl in and out of RV to get tools.
Anyway, once the entire lock was removed, the door opened. Upon inspection, i could find nothing broken. But, I wasn’t taking any chances.
I bought a whole new lock, about $100, and installed it. We have had no problems since.
But, had we been on the road, this could have been bad.

Neil
Old 12-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #18

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The Trimark number is different for the new lock. It is a Trimark 60-1650 rather than a 60-650. However, I can not find any number on the lock itself. So you are kind of at the mercy of the company that sends it to you. If you look at the plunger you can tell the difference if you have both of them side by side.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Besides a pile of crap for a door lock: the O.P. also has a tweaked-up door.
Can that be fixed?
Or how much is it to replace?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:35 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
This thread has be sort of freaked out. I would like to be proactive about this. Since my rig is a 2017, is it possible that I could have a redesigned Trimark lock, if so what is the best way to determine this?
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote