Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2021, 04:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #21757
tpms

please comment on recommendations on your tire pressure monitoring system. are the $150 dollar ones worth it or the $400 dollar? thanks

Old 01-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have the older model of this version and it works well.....

https://eezrvproducts.com/shop/ols/p...-eez-rv-tpms4c
Old 01-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #3

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have the older model of this version and it works wll.....

I have the same brand and it works great.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
This is the one I have and I have not been impressed. The readers are not consistent. I set the pressure to 90 using a gage and they vary 5 psi either way. I was hoping to use this to check tire pressure but because they are off I still have to manually check. They also randomly disconnect. Sometimes when the toad is not connected it takes the tireminder up to 50 miles to figure out it’s not there. Then it’s not all four tires. I use it but typically just clear the message and keep on rolling. My last 500 mile trip I had three readers randomly disconnect. Definitely not worth the money.

https://www.minderresearch.com/produ...iler-tm-77-10/
Old 01-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have the older model of this version and it works well.....

Same with me. Works as advertised.

BTW, that price at $300 is less than I paid for my mono display system over 3 years ago. and $20 less than Amazon's price.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 32.2
State: Texas
THOR #14520
Another vote for EEZ RV Products

Absolutely great customer service! I’ve had to call them three times to get additional parts and they were very easy to work with (first time for additional sensors, the other two times for batteries). Two day shipping. Batteries last us about 10,000 miles and then we start to get low battery alarms.

Depending on the length of your coach you might want to purchase a repeater. We had trouble reading the back two tires on the road until we purchased one.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
I agree customer service is good. Went to charge the first reader and the charge port was bad. I called them and they shipped a new one. I do have a repeater installed. This last trip each front tire in my MotorHome disconnected at different times and the display is at the drivers seat practically sitting on top of the transmitters. All I’m saying is if I had to do it over I would have purchased a different brand. If alarms go off and you ignore them because it’s unreliable what’s the value? The fact that my toad can be 30 miles away before I get an alarm that it’s missing makes this product unreliable. I expected this to be like the readers that come standard in my cars but it’s not anywhere close.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysim View Post
please comment on recommendations on your tire pressure monitoring system. are the $150 dollar ones worth it or the $400 dollar? thanks
I started out with the best I could find on eBay 12 year ago. To say they were unreliable and prone to failure is an understatement. Over the last 12 years, I have used 5 different systems. Three year ago, I bought the TST 507 system with flow through sensors and repeater. Other than having to replace all the batteries within the first 18 months everything has worked perfectly for all 10 tires monitored. all the replacement batteries are still working Amazon has the replacement batteries at reasonable prices.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #9

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
We've been using these for a year, nothing to report
What could be better, easy install, easy setup and $120.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The technology has improved over the years. I use a TireMinder i10 and I’m very pleased. It seems to be accurate and reliable. Also the company is wonderful to work with and will send you free sender batteries each year.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:24 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
We've been using these for a year, nothing to report
What could be better, easy install, easy setup and $120.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Does it not bother you to have to push a button to toggle between PSI / Temp F?

If I go another few months without and repair issues, I will use a portion of my reserves for NOT buy an Extended warranty to buy a TPMS.

From all I have read here is what I think.

If money were no option I would likely get TST 507, but even though it may be the best, it seems to be complicated to program, but it does show all tires.

But I am likely to buy one of these low cost Chinese models. I worry that they will not work on my 30ft coach? btw, How long is a Citation?

I am also confused about the solar, I don't trust it will actually work; so if I have to go USB power it may greatly reduce my placement options.

But the biggest fear of all is accuracy and having to start the trip before readings may stabilize. For as few trips as I do, I don't mine taking 15 minutes to check manually. I often will add air in at least one tire when I do that before leaving.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I use the Tireminder Smart TPMS system. Initially bought the unit with 6 sensors. I added 4 more for my trailer. I really like it as it links to my iPhone. Gives me psi and temp. It took a little fine tuning the first time out. After that it’s been fine. I think I lost the signal from one sensor once. Pulled off at next exit. Unscrewed it and screwed back on and all was good. After having a blowout on a 5th wheel a few years back, while on interstate at 60 mph, I won’t run without some sort of system.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #13

THOR #13058
So may my TPMS Experiments Begin

Since I don't have anything, and I kind of like; and use to just checking all my tires before each trip and a good walk around during gas stops, I figure I would go with the best buys I could find with the cheaper model presumed to be from China.

I bought three sets (2 of exact same models, and a 3rd model specifically for Trucks / RVs) I spent a total of about $75

Set 1 & Set 2 (For Navigator and 24' Tandem Axle Yamaha Trailler)
Solar TPMS Wireless Car Tire Pressure LCD Monitoring System+4 External Sensors

Temperature resolution:±2°C(25°C)
Pressure resolution:±0.1Bar
Transmitted power:≤10dBm
Lithium battery:CR1632(Model)
Operating voltage:2.1-3.6V
Working temperature:-30°C-85°C
Pressure range:0-5.0Bar
Waterproof grade:IP67
Emission frequency:433.92MHz
Battery life:24 months
Storage temperature:-30°C-90°C

Set 3 For Winnebago Sunstar 29VE

Solar Truck TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 6 External Sensors

Working voltage: 3.7-5V
Display mode: LCD color screen
Working current: <13mA
Working temperature: -20~+80 ℃
Storage temperature: -20~+85 ℃
Shutdown current: <0.7mA
Power-on voltage: DC 5V
Receiving frequency: 433.92MHz±20.00MHz
Signal receiving sensitivity: -90dbm

Sensor
Battery life: 24 months
Storage temperature: -20~+85 ℃
Working voltage: 2.1V-3.3V
Working temperature: -20~+85 ℃
Pressure range: 0~15.0 Bar
Pressure accuracy: ±0.1 Bar
Temperature accuracy: +/-3℃
Transmitting power: <15dBm
Transmitting frequency: 433.92MHz±20.00MHz

Notes:

- I don't know what will happen if I try to have two of the exact same 4 sensor models in my SUV-Navigator, but I will find out for $20; If it does not, I will have a backup set for my SUV
- If sensors do work on the boat, I have zero plans to remove each time I launch; so if it fails when submerged in lake water, I will find out soon
- I don't plan to lock anything; so if a sensor or two are stolen, I will just have to buy another set assuming they actually work.
- Not sure if I will need a repeater for boat or RV, but lesson coming
- If the unit in the RV will last at least 1 year, I could buy a new one every year for 10 years straight for what the TST507 would costs which would be my preferred TPMS of choice if money were no option
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #14

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Tyrmate

Quote:
I have had the Tyrmate system for over a year and it has functioned perfectly. I will add two comments: It only reads to 87 psi, and the numbers on the display are a bit small (but it's really not necessary to look more than once or twice a day).

It does the job for $159.99 if your tire psi is not over 87 psi.

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Moni...s%2C197&sr=8-5
Old 01-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #15

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
Quote:
Don’t go cheap. They are junk.
Try this first- check the tire pressure every time you fill up your gas tank for a dozen fill ups. If you have a problem tire, it will soon be apparent. You’ll notice that the tire pressure in all the tires changes up and down by 5psi or so. This is normal. Your problem tire, if you have one will be MUCH lower than the rest.
One thing that will help you do this is to install “capless” valve stems (available at any truck tire store). Checking your tire pressure will go MUCH MUCH faster!
Old 01-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #16

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We lived in the country on the r a nch 43 miles from the nearest store

Given we had numerous flat tires I started using the psig indicator caps many, many years back

Most were 44, 80, 110 psig

Before getting in the vehicle a quick walk around was SOP

Used them for over 40 years and still did when I retired

Temperature checking was always done on loaded trailers and trucks as we ran at or above the limits
Old 01-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhhoy View Post
Don’t go cheap. They are junk.
Try this first- check the tire pressure every time you fill up your gas tank for a dozen fill ups. If you have a problem tire, it will soon be apparent. You’ll notice that the tire pressure in all the tires changes up and down by 5psi or so. This is normal. Your problem tire, if you have one will be MUCH lower than the rest.
One thing that will help you do this is to install “capless” valve stems (available at any truck tire store). Checking your tire pressure will go MUCH MUCH faster!

But the actual value of a good TPMS system is to pick up a problem in real time while you’re on the move. Most of the tire inflation issues I’ve ever had resulted from a picked up nail that can leak down in pretty short order. I want to be alerted before driving another couple of hours. And once you have confidence in your TPMS its a lot more convenient to glance at the screen than to check the tires with a gauge. But that’s just me. Also, as my tires heat up it’s not unusual for the pressures to rise by 10-12 lbs.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Followup: From my Post #13

These were the ones I referred to in my earlier post where I bought 2 of them. I paid $10.07 each for mine. They are still available but price from my ebay seller is now $22.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-TPMS-...72.m2749.l2649

Pricing on ebay varies; so this is at one point in time. Oddly when I first saw them, they were $20.99. I made an offer of $18 which was declined I was going in to buy anyway when I saw the $10.07/each. I think it may have been a mistake; but I ordered 2 with no second thought

I received both units yesterday, they work incredibly well. Instructions are there and accurate, but very tricky to follow. I changed to PSI & Degrees F The seller had previously told me you could not put two units in the same vehicle. He was WRONG!!!

I put 4 sensors on Navigator and they connected to monitor instantly. Monitor said 31 psi; so I put my digital gauge on same tire and got 30.9 psi I normally run at 35 psi; so I may be a tad low, but temp was cold last night.

With that working I took the other TMPS set and put sensors on my boat tires (Yamaha tandem trailer). They connected instantly as well, almost real time; maybe a 3 sec delay. When that system was confirmed, I put both monitors inside the RV and they are working just fine. I drove the SUV around without the boat, and watch the temp & pressure rise for SUV, but the boat readings stayed the same from where I left it. Because the SUV was moving it did not shutoff out of range. When I returned home it reconnected with boat, and the temp was slightly increasing on boat tires due to ambient temperatures warming up with the sun.

Why I have never did this before is mindboggling Probably tied to the fact that I was reluctant to spend $300 - $500 on the brand names. I don't tow the boat that much, but it will be easy to put the monitor in Navigator for every future trip. I am out of $10.07

In hindsight, I should have bought 6 of these things!!! $65 for 5 vehicles and Boat trailer.

Next step, the Heavy duty Truck Solar USB TPMS that I ordered from a different seller is being shipped. I don't expect it for a month. It does pressure up to 15 bar / 217 PSI, I run my RV on 82 PSI I spent $48 on it It is at link below. (Note: I can't to speak to Quality of this one just yet) But can't wait....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Truck...72.m2749.l2649