Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Texas
THOR #22559
Brand new 2021 Palazzo, exposed wire in dash. Normal?

Recently bought a 2021 Palazzo. Driven 60 miles from dealer to home, nowhere else (yet).

While looking in the dashboard to figure out what I need to do to replace that awful Axxera radio (seriously, it is terrible), I saw the following wiring job.

I'd read some posts here about exposed wiring, but had assumed these were found in older, used RVs. Is this normal? Is this the state a consumer can expect a brand new motorhome to be in, in 2021?

I'm no electrician but I think I can fix the wires seen here. Some crimping, some electrical tape, etc. I'm just worried that there's more to be found. How much of a fire hazard do exposed wires like this pose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-02 14.52.41.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	29607   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-02 14.52.48.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	29608  

Old 04-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
That's a loaded question.....

Normal? No

Possible (or even probable)? Yes

Pretty obvisous it was a soldered splice that should have had shrink wrap over it but the person doing the work "forgot".... not uncommon based on the quality control pratices in the RV industry.... or lack there of.

You have several options as you said. You can cut it at the splice, add a piece of shrink wrap, re-solder and then put heat on the shrink wrap to cover.

Or you could put electrical tape or liquid tape over it. Or you could use a wire nut.

Could there be more? Unfortunately, yes. There have been plenty of cases where 12V or 110V wiring was not done with the best workmanship in even the newest of coaches. It has led to sparks, heat w/ melting and in rare cases even fire.

Best thing to do is to go through as much of the wiring as you can see and access throughout the coach and check the quality of the work and repair or upgrade as necessary.

Such is life when owning an RV.