Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
31L Pantry door Keeps Sliding Open

When I make a turn it opens, last time it came off the tracks and ripped out the cheap staples on the bottom, now I have to figure out how to reattach. My question is has anyone figured out a way to keep this door from opening, some kind of latch lock etc.

Designers....You knew this was going to happen, thank you.....

Old 09-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Our pantry door has a simple friction lock but there is a positive latch behind the second shelf on the pull out shelves. It is a positive pin lock that drops into a hole in the bottom track guide. Just closing the pantry won't hold the shelf rack in.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #3

THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Our pantry door has a simple friction lock but there is a positive latch behind the second shelf on the pull out shelves. It is a positive pin lock that drops into a hole in the bottom track guide. Just closing the pantry won't hold the shelf rack in.
Thanks Beau, I think you have a different setup, here is a picture of what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dont_copy.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	6791  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Thanks Beau, I think you have a different setup, here is a picture of what mine looks like.
Same as our ACE. So far we have had no problems but we check it every time. We have more problems with the sliding bedroom doors.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
After losing an entire bottle of wine (what a waste) we went with a J Latch. Take a look here Heavy Duty Push Latch - RV Designer H316 - Cabinet Hardware - Camping World. Ended the issue.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #6

THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
After losing an entire bottle of wine (what a waste) we went with a J Latch. Take a look here Heavy Duty Push Latch - RV Designer H316 - Cabinet Hardware - Camping World. Ended the issue.
Those type are already on there.

Are these better?
Old 09-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Murph - the latches vary from light duty to heavy duty. The heavy duty is the one that I upgraded. Like I said - no more spilled wine.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 AM   #8

THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Murph - the latches vary from light duty to heavy duty. The heavy duty is the one that I upgraded. Like I said - no more spilled wine.
Just ordered two, thank you.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
We have a 31L with the same pantry door and have the opposite problem, the DW cant open it, I have to open it for her. I know this is not an answer to your problem but to let you know that the latches do work so maybe you have a latch that is broken not installed incorrectly.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yes, I think I've finally solved mine....

but yikes....came off the tracks!?! Good luck with that one. So far it seems to me that there is no way to get that thing out short of dissembling either form the shower or the fridge side so I'm not sure how I would go about putting it back. Hope you figure it out.

Over the years, I tried by adding a couple of additional "spring" latches.
similar to this one,
I found that if adjusted correctly they can hold it back fairly well. I put one low and one high on the shelf side (the only side I could get in there on)
but it never totally fixed the issue

I had always considered adding a surface mount dead bolt similar to this but shorter

But this summer I had an issue where my whole pantry sorta came out (maybe like yours), thanks to the lovely roads in Louisiana...
I figured out a quick jury rig while on the road, but what I think turned out to be an idea solution. A friction board.
Hard to describe but since I don't have photos of it handy I'll do my best

I measured the gap between the shelf face and the cabinet rail...then went to the "hobby wood" section in lowes, picked up a piece of hardwood that was close to half the dimension. Probably 1/4 x 2 or maybe 1/4 x 1 or so....
Using a strong two sided tape, I wedged in a piece stuck to the face of the pantry shelf, and another to the rail.
Then I had my kid pick a crayon to "match" and I colored the wood. Here is where I wished that I would have stained the wood so it looks better, but the crayon made the color a bit better but also lubricated it.
So the two boards are tight in there with a good friction fit.
Then I used another block to attach a stop to the back, that hold the cabinet form coming out any further
It's a jury rig and doesn't look the best but considering I was doing it with limited tools in the parking lot of lowes in Albuquerque and in a hurry, it turned out well enough....
and I think given the very tight nature of this cabinet there's no good way of getting decent latches in there so the friction fit is the idea solution IMHO
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #11

THOR #7768
Here is whats left in the cabinet, the cheap compressed particle boards were attached to the bottom of the pantry using staples, yes I said staples, no screws or nails. I will reattach using poplar and screws. We're using the Motorhome the next two weekends and as I said before two new heavy duty latches were ordered. I'll try to post more pictures when I get everything back together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	6810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	6811  

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	6812  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Bedroom Door Latch

I am sorry but I can't find the part number of the latch but here are a couple photos of the way I fixed my sliding bedroom doors. I was exiting a drive way and the rocking caused the doors to jump the tracks and actually split the wood doors. I used wood glue and clamps to put the doors back together and installed a latch to hold both doors together and then one to hold the bottom of the inside door to the wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Latch 2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	6808   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Latch 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	6809  

brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #13

THOR #908
Yes, Murph's looks exactly like mine....but when mine wrecked it wasn't quite so bad as to come all the way out. My slides were wrecked and work ok to slide in and out but the thing would tip fore and aft.
As I mentioned, mine was just a jury rig solution sitting in the parking lot of Lowes while on a road trip...
But I feel like it touches on a solution, that if I had done it preemptively i might have avoided the problem in the first place

I was able to grab a couple pictures between my scurry to get ready for Irma

As I think this through again, I'm seeing that as time has passed the friction has lessened but it still helps to keep the thing steady fore and aft very well, and does serve to hold it in just a bit. The stop block helps to save the slides form unnecessary stress. It looks horrible but is working very well. With more time and effort I'd think it could be done very nicely.

If I were in your shoes, I think I would consider going old school.
I'd install some old fashioned wooden dovetail slides like these
and do-up something like I did in these photos to hold things in place

I honestly don't know how I would get in there to ever replace with slides like they have. Seems like you'd have to disassemble the whole kitchen to get at them!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170908_071820451.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	6836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170908_071810640.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	6837  

Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #14

THOR #908
one more picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170908_071820451.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	6838  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

THOR #908
oops, grabbed the wrong one before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170908_071759789.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	6839  
Old 09-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #16

State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have what Bruce has

maybe a marine store item? My pantry door came flying out when I took the first right hand turn leaving the dealer.. busted the opposing closet door. They replaced the busted door and put the latch on. My wardrobe doors come open when going on some bumpy roads so I got the twisty tie things from Home Depot and secure them before take off... any kind of stiff costed wire would do..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	door lock.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	6840   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_185721.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	6841  

Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #17

THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
maybe a marine store item? My pantry door came flying out when I took the first right hand turn leaving the dealer.. busted the opposing closet door. They replaced the busted door and put the latch on. My wardrobe doors come open when going on some bumpy roads so I got the twisty tie things from Home Depot and secure them before take off... any kind of stiff costed wire would do..
Thanks for the pictures, this will give me an idea when I'm ready to reinstall the pantry.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #18

THOR #7768
I got everything reinstalled today using much better poplar wood and screws instead of staples into cheap particle boards. I also purchased new heavy duty push latches like big Ben suggested, my wife says it opens much harder than before so hopefully that will solve the problem. In the meantime I want to get one of these type latches pictured. Does anyone know what you call them or where I could get them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0103.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	6958  
Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #19

State: Nevada
THOR #970
My dealer had that one, I would look at marine supply store. I did not see any at CW last time I was there.. maybe on Amazon
Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #20

THOR #7768
I found them, they're called sliding door latch or U latch, Amazon and Home Depot have them.