Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Broke again

Just once I would like to go out to my Thor axis 2016 and something not be wrong with it. I bought it because I have health issues and my doctor lives at the coast and it's very expensive to stay at a hotel so I decided to buy my own bed. plugged into Shore power the converter fan runs constantly and the TV has a great amount of static so much you can't watch it. I called Thor talk to a guy named Tom I don't know why he answers the phone because he doesn't know anything about them especially the windshield problems. Now you tell me how you can work at Thor and not know there's a problem with the axis and Vegas windshields I'm not calling him a liar but that sure seems strange to me.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What cure could the phone guy have for a windshield problem on an out of warranty vehicle?
If you tell us the exact problem you'll possibly get an exact cure from us here on this forum.

The TV and converter have nothing to do with Thor. Except for Thor supplying a TV and a converter, there is nothing for them to to do or anything they even need knowledge of.

Give us information, we'll give you information.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
What cure could the phone guy have for a windshield problem on an out of warranty vehicle?
If you tell us the exact problem you'll possibly get an exact cure from us here on this forum.

The TV and converter have nothing to do with Thor. Except for Thor supplying a TV and a converter, there is nothing for them to to do or anything they even need knowledge of.

Give us information, we'll give you information.
If that's the only answer you got I don't need your help! Thor Services there regardless if it's under warranty or not and this windshield problem is something that I've talked to several axis owners about 5 years from now I don't want to have to keep paying for windshields. As I said I'm on my third no chips just stress crack from the very center of the windshield to the top. Two windshields exactly same place.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
If that's the only answer you got I don't need your help! Thor Services there regardless if it's under warranty or not and this windshield problem is something that I've talked to several axis owners about 5 years from now I don't want to have to keep paying for windshields. As I said I'm on my third no chips just stress crack from the very center of the windshield to the top. Two windshields exactly same place.
So ducksface is supposed to be a mind reader? No mention of what your windshield problems were in your post
Old 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
well ducksface i guess he doesn't want your advice and probably everyone else on here.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #6

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
well ducksface i guess he doesn't want your advice and probably everyone else on here.
Is that it's not that I love to come to the Forum there's a lot of good people on here with a lot of good advice I'm just extremely flustrated this morning with my motorhome it's getting the best of me . Maybe I've got a bad one seems like every time I go out there's always something wrong.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #7

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
So ducksface is supposed to be a mind reader? No mention of what your windshield problems were in your post
The windshield is not the problem of having if you read my original post I'm having converter problems .I called Thor while I was on the phone with them I asked about the windshields on the axis and Vegas if they knew of any problems and they told me no which I find somewhat questionable seeing how I'm on my third how about it new in 2016. I'm concerned about on down the road windshields are very expensive especially if it's not my fault.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
TV static? Is that the problem?
Sometimes: reception is just lousy, and there's not much that can be done.
But...
Are you hooked up to a cable TV system?
If yes:
Have you turned off the antenna booster?
If no:
Have you tried rotating the exterior TV antenna? (I assume that it can be turned...) This might improve your reception.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #9

THOR #3992
When plugged into Shore power in-store /use switch in use position the converter fan runs constantly and the TV has static so much you can't watch .
While plugged into Shore power you hit store /use switch to store the converter fan goes off and the TV clears up. Everything seems to work fine as long as I leave it in the store position. I know this is not right I'm just wondering what's going on contacted friend he's familiar with these things he tells me my converter is bad.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow that is very odd. I would suggest that this sounds like a converter problem but when put in Store it clears up...

Oooh! Measure the coach battery voltage when in Store--I bet you have a bad battery which is causing the converter to dump a bunch of current (which is also causing a lower-than-normal 12V rail when the battery is online causing the amplifier for the TV to not work correctly).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #11

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow that is very odd. I would suggest that this sounds like a converter problem but when put in Store it clears up...

Oooh! Measure the coach battery voltage when in Store--I bet you have a bad battery which is causing the converter to dump a bunch of current (which is also causing a lower-than-normal 12V rail when the battery is online causing the amplifier for the TV to not work correctly).
Thanks Jamie can always count on you for help. I will check that as soon as I can but that's a possibility I just replace the two house batteries one could be bad.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
The windshield is not the problem of having if you read my original post I'm having converter problems .I called Thor while I was on the phone with them I asked about the windshields on the axis and Vegas if they knew of any problems and they told me no which I find somewhat questionable seeing how I'm on my third how about it new in 2016. I'm concerned about on down the road windshields are very expensive especially if it's not my fault.
I did read your post, you need to read it again and see what you said
Old 01-16-2020, 06:13 PM   #13

THOR #3992
Quote:

I just checked the house batteries both of them are reading 11.5 that's in the store position. Converter fan runs constantly when plugged into Shore power in the use position. This thing is driving me nuts.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
11.5 seems low to me, at least enough that the converter would be trying to charge them.

Yeah I see 11.4 is "fully discharged" and 12.9V is fully charged. when googling 12V battery voltages. That would explain the converter fan running.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #15

THOR #3992
Quote:
11.5 seems low to me, at least enough that the converter would be trying to charge them.

Yeah I see 11.4 is "fully discharged" and 12.9V is fully charged. when googling 12V battery voltages. That would explain the converter fan running.
Is it possible that both the house batteries are bad I bought them from Advance Auto Parts. I'm going to put my battery charger on them and bring them up to full charge. Wish I had a load tester. Watch you said sounds so correct. I got a good Camping believe it or not I just hate the 2-hour trip up there leave it and then have to go back to get it.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Is it possible that both the house batteries are bad I bought them from Advance Auto Parts. I'm going to put my battery charger on them and bring them up to full charge. Wish I had a load tester. Watch you said sounds so correct. I got a good Camping believe it or not I just hate the 2-hour trip up there leave it and then have to go back to get it.
Only one has to be bad to cause the converter to want to charge the batteries. Jamie's assertion for 11.5 is easily proofed. Assuming they're wired parallel, which side did the 11.5 come from, or did both read 11.5. If both, something's either seriously wrong, the coach was stored with use/store in the 'Use' position or the batteries are bad. BTW, the second item can and will slowly drain the battery - and eventually kill it. Once a battery is fully dead, the cells are at risk and you may never get it back.

Regardless, take the batteries back out and have them stress tested. Most auto parts chains will do this free of charge. It's the easiest, least expensive place to start. I'd hesitate to take them back to Advance, though taking them to Auto Zone may put dollar signs in their eyes too. Flip a coin.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Only one has to be bad to cause the converter to want to charge the batteries. Jamie's assertion for 11.5 is easily proofed. Assuming they're wired parallel, which side did the 11.5 come from, or did both read 11.5. If both, something's either seriously wrong, the coach was stored with use/store in the 'Use' position or the batteries are bad. BTW, the second item can and will slowly drain the battery - and eventually kill it. Once a battery is fully dead, the cells are at risk and you may never get it back.

Regardless, take the batteries back out and have them stress tested. Most auto parts chains will do this free of charge. It's the easiest, least expensive place to start. I'd hesitate to take them back to Advance, though taking them to Auto Zone may put dollar signs in their eyes too. Flip a coin.
If they are in parallel they will both read the same voltage unless you remove a cable or 2 to disconnect the parallel connection. 11.5 VDC is a dead battery. Let the OP try to charge them fully with the external charger. If they come up to 12.6 VDC or higher when not under load after the float charge is removed then they are OK and we can move on to troubleshooting his other problems.

For the OP - when you put the switch in STORE and your converter fan stops, does your TV picture clear up?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Lots of retailers sell these. Amazon is quickest. This tester does not lie. Charge batteries fully, then test them. Ted...he said the TV does clear up when the switch is put in "store" position.

https://www.jbtools.com/otc-3181-130...yABEgLEJ_D_BwE
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Great video on the tester...

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #20

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If they are in parallel they will both read the same voltage unless you remove a cable or 2 to disconnect the parallel connection. 11.5 VDC is a dead battery. Let the OP try to charge them fully with the external charger. If they come up to 12.6 VDC or higher when not under load after the float charge is removed then they are OK and we can move on to troubleshooting his other problems.

For the OP - when you put the switch in STORE and your converter fan stops, does your TV picture clear up?
Yes sir the converter fan shuts down and the TV clears right up all the appliances refrigerator air conditioner microwaves they all work just fine .In the store position hooked up to shore power . It's when I switch to use is when the trouble starts .So much good advice is hard to take it all in but I do appreciate it .I'm going to do what you say going to disconnect then charge them both up. Before I pull them out of the stairwell. I priced the load tester more than a fair price I'm going to order it.