Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2019, 03:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Axxera GPS

I see threads with problems with cameras & connections, but can't find any with gps specific.

I have 2019 Thor 32.1 Axerra AVM111NAVLH gps continues looking for satellites without success. CW tech said it worked for him, I'm wondering if he thought when it powered up, it works.

I've read what little literatrue that came with the coach, downloaded a manual form Axxera website (no help), emailed customer service which was returned unknown user. Tried to access another Axerra page & got Page 404 error.

I've changed every setting, country, state, etc. nothing helps.

Ideas or fixes greatly appreciated & if I'm dumb & not working it correctly, instructions would be wonderful.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #2

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
I see threads with problems with cameras & connections, but can't find any with gps specific.

I have 2019 Thor 32.1 Axerra AVM111NAVLH gps continues looking for satellites without success. CW tech said it worked for him, I'm wondering if he thought when it powered up, it works.

I've read what little literatrue that came with the coach, downloaded a manual form Axxera website (no help), emailed customer service which was returned unknown user. Tried to access another Axerra page & got Page 404 error.

I've changed every setting, country, state, etc. nothing helps.

Ideas or fixes greatly appreciated & if I'm dumb & not working it correctly, instructions would be wonderful.
I have a 2018 37rb that had the same problem when I got it brand new. I told Thor that it wasn't working and they sent me a new SM card. When the new SM card was installed the GPS worked fine. I hope this helps
Old 02-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Generally, if a GPS can't find satellites, it's an antenna problem. Since it's a dash mount unit I would assume there should be an external antenna connected?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:41 AM   #4

THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Generally, if a GPS can't find satellites, it's an antenna problem. Since it's a dash mount unit I would assume there should be an external antenna connected?

The only antenna is on the roof, it's for the radio stations. It works well.

I wonder if hoser123 has an antenna on his roof?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
The only antenna is on the roof, it's for the radio stations. It works well.

I wonder if hoser123 has an antenna on his roof?
A remote GPS antenna could look like a little puck and possibly be built in to the top pf the dash.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:32 AM   #6

THOR #14323
Quote:
A remote GPS antenna could look like a little puck and possibly be built in to the top pf the dash.

I searched the entire interior, every nook/cranny/cabinets, drawers, then went up to the roof. Only thing on roof besides a/c & vents, is solar hookup, TV antenna & good time radio (above driver).

I'm wondering if the factory forgot to add it, they didn't connect the furnace & other errors.

Thanx to all for the help!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:22 AM   #7

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
I don't know if I have an antenna or where it is located. How about the plug-in models where is their antenna?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
I've had nothing but problems with the Axxera GPS. I had the first one replaced on our Miramar. It would work for 30-40 minutes and then the screen would lock up. The only way to get it to work again was to use the "reset to default" option and that would wipe out all my radio settings.

The new one works better but still acts stupid. I store my motorhome in a metal garage. This confuses the GPS as it can't get a signal. When I pull out of the garage for a trip, I have to immediately turn on the GPS and let it find itself again. Sometimes after 10-15 minutes it works fine. Most of the time it shows it sees multiple satellites but then when I start driving it shows I'm off the road and driving through lakes and fields. It will usually fix itself after 30 minutes of driving but sometimes it doesn't. A few times it didn't fix itself until we camped overnight and it was able to "find" itself. I also had one instance where it couldn't find any satellites. After a couple nights outside the garage, it fixed itself. I have just gotten used to the fact that it might work or it might not work. It always seems to work fine after being outside the garage for 24 hours. When it doesn't work I just use my iPhone. I have a suction stand for the iPhone that I just prop up on the top of the radio.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
I searched the entire interior, every nook/cranny/cabinets, drawers, then went up to the roof. Only thing on roof besides a/c & vents, is solar hookup, TV antenna & good time radio (above driver).

I'm wondering if the factory forgot to add it, they didn't connect the furnace & other errors.

Thanx to all for the help!
You might check the back of the head unit to see if the ant. cable is connected.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #10

THOR #14323
New info

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
You might check the back of the head unit to see if the ant. cable is connected.

I tried that, but can't get in behind the radio. On the top middle of the screen there looks like a latch of some sort that might let the screen remove. Tried it a little but was afraid I might break it.

Thor replied to my email asking about another card, they said no, call a Thor Tech. I did & was told the coach should have a wifi antenna (wifi ranger) & a GPS antenna, to call the dealer & tell them to fix it. There was a Thor wifi sticker on the dining table that said this is equipped with Wifi Ranger.

While I was under the dash, impossible position for an ol dude, I looked around AND found a puck that says GPS antenna! I pushed it up above the dash. It was looks like it was meant to be in the lower left corner.

Turned the radio on to see if that made a difference. It did, it told me no GPS map numerous times. I popped the sdcard out, plugged it back in & got a screen showing an executable file. It would let me do anything, by touch or remote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	15802  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 AM   #11

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Check on top left corner 4 buttons off/on, vol+,vol-,rear camera, then small hole that's the reset push a paper clip in there see if will reset.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #12

THOR #14323
Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Check on top left corner 4 buttons off/on, vol+,vol-,rear camera, then small hole that's the reset push a paper clip in there see if will reset.

I found the hole, used 2 different size paper clips, didn't work. Seems like there's not a button in the hole to push. Arggghh!

Thor called me, I told them the details, they contacted CW who said bring it, they would fix it while I wait.

We're leaving on our first trip the next day, I think I'll wait until we get back. Just too much to do for my 1st excursion in the MH plus 1st time pulling a dolly.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
I have a 2019 Hurricane34j and my GPS antenna is located on the drivers side front window at the bottom of the window in the corner. If you can remove the radio very carefully check and see if the GPS ANTENNA wire came out or is loose. Be very careful removing the screen. There is a release button in the direct center top of the screen. Then use the two Din release bars which you should have got with your paperwork. Pull radio straight out and check cables. Push radio back in it will lock in. Carefully press the screen back on to the front of the radio. Check and see if this helps.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:40 PM   #14

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Take out 4 screws that hold big plastic cover on top of dash covering gauges look for small black wire coming out back of radio to 4inch square plastic box that's your GPS antenna I pulled mine up on top of dash and reinstalled the dash cover now it's by base of windshield works great,
Old 06-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I say this a lot here on this forum:
Go to a radio install place, spend under 100 bucks, get it fixed once... Correctly.
Or
It's a placeholder. An inexpensive thing to fill a slot. It's not claimed to be superior or anything but adequate. It certainly isn't a selling point. It is meant only to not detract by there being a hole. In your dash.

Buy an android head unit for 200 or 400 bucks and now have waze and Google and maps and torque and 10,000 other apps at your literal fingertips.

So much effort is put into salvaging the 100 buck radio the factory installs.
I put no effort into it. The very moment it offended me, out it came.

Ps
Perfectly free, perfectly working with remote and manuals, non-nav axxera is anyones who needs it. Just pm me when you're near the grand canyon.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:20 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
I have a 2019 Hurricane34j and my GPS antenna is located on the drivers side front window at the bottom of the window in the corner. If you can remove the radio very carefully check and see if the GPS ANTENNA wire came out or is loose. Be very careful removing the screen. There is a release button in the direct center top of the screen. Then use the two Din release bars which you should have got with your paperwork. Pull radio straight out and check cables. Push radio back in it will lock in. Carefully press the screen back on to the front of the radio. Check and see if this helps.
I have an update to this GPS problem. I have had the GPS signal drop when I turned the Motorhome away from the direction of the satellites. It came back after a short time. I may move my GPS antenna to the roof.

Tags
axxera gps