Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
"Buzzing" noise behind instrument cluster

Found a new noise on our first trip this year after inactivity of about 4 months. Coming off an interstate, as our 2016 Hurricane 29M was decelerating in speed, a "buzzing" noise heard coming from what sounds like the left hand side of the instrument cluster...behind the tach. It is isolated to about 1100 up to about 1800 RPMs when accel and decel and then disappears above or below that number. Used to have a whine in a speedo cable but don't know if this is a mechanical cable or if the gauges are electronic.
Not a real issue since it's only at that range of 1100-1800 but in-town driving uses that range and it can be annoying. It may also be a vibration of its own that occurs in that speed range mentioned and might not have anything to do with a tach.
Didn't find references to looking behind that panel. I see a panel on the top above that cluster with two buttons that probably will remove that piece to get to the cluster...then what to do.
The only other thing in that area otherwise are by your left knee and is the leveler panel and that's off during driving and some switches for fans, lights etc
Interested in knowing what it might be ...any similar issues out there?

Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
We have a 2020 29M and it had a wind/speed related buzzing under the dash. Very difficult to pinpoint precisely but it only started buzzing at 40-45 mph, regardless of engine rpm. Our dealership spent a lot of time taping, insulating, plugging various things under the dash in the engine compartment. This reduced it to a tolerable level but it is still there if you listen closely. They never did find the source of the buzzing, only reduced the noise. I plan to remove as much of the inside dash panels as I can and do more insulation and taping under there in an effort to reduce not only the buzzing but all the other wind/road noise.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #3

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
We have a 2020 29M and it had a wind/speed related buzzing under the dash. Very difficult to pinpoint precisely but it only started buzzing at 40-45 mph, regardless of engine rpm. Our dealership spent a lot of time taping, insulating, plugging various things under the dash in the engine compartment. This reduced it to a tolerable level but it is still there if you listen closely. They never did find the source of the buzzing, only reduced the noise. I plan to remove as much of the inside dash panels as I can and do more insulation and taping under there in an effort to reduce not only the buzzing but all the other wind/road noise.
Thanks for that...never thought of the problem as you have it. Our buzzing will even do it at slow speeds like 25 when we drive it around the neighborhood so I'm not sure if that's fast enough for wind noise or not. Your 40 mph is to a point that wind will get in there...not sure about 25 but it's a thought for sure.