Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2019, 02:40 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You know not of what you speak.

The switch is not instantaneous: there is a break of the old power source before the new power source contacts are made. You may percieve it as instantaneous, but it is not.

Depending on your thermostat the Air Conditioner has a time out period of up to 2 minutes before it will restart the compressor, not 10 seconds.

Arcing is not a made up situation. If it was, there would never be arc welding. We are not talking about arcing between the two power sources; we are talking about arcing when the existing powered contacts are opened before the new powered contacts are shut. Any switch or breaker (or even fuse) that carries significant current (especially in an inductive or motor circuit) is designed to quench the arc when the contacts open. Remember the old points and condenser in the old distributors? Guess what the function of the condenser was. So although the arc is quenched, it still deteriorates the contacts. The more current it has to interrupt, the more deterioration occurs and the shorter the contacts lifespan.

This is not RV old wives tales, this is proven electrical theory. I am not disputing that the Air Conditioner may "not care" and continue to run when the ATS switches power sources, I am saying you are shortening the life of your ATS by having it switch power sources when it is loaded.
That makes sense to me, My salesman told my wife and I on our walk through not to start the generator when plugged in to shore power as it could burn up the ats and this being our first motorhome with a ats I always unplug before cranking up the generator, we had a 5th wheel before.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When in doubt, read the manual.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote