Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #23208
A.C.E. 3.2 engine access to PCV Valve Hose

Good afternoon,

I'm writing to request advice / help. The last time I went to start my motorhome I found what Google search tells me is the PCV Valve Hose laying on the ground next to my RV. Presumably I've had squirrels or something playing under the hood this past week. The hose itself looks to be in reasonable condition, but I have no idea how to access the engine location to put it back on. If a Ford V10 gas engine. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Likewise any contact info for mobile mechanics in the Trenton, NJ area that I can pay to come out and fix it for me. (The mechanic I had been using is apparently no longer in business.)

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Ron Logan

Old 04-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
PCV valves/hoses are normally on the top side of the engine and accessible by removing the doghouse - 4 screws on your RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #3

THOR #23208
Many thanks for the fast response with location and access! I'll try tomorrow to see if this is something I can do myself.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:28 AM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
What yr is your ACE?
Here's a YouTube for a Ford Excursion v10. It might be similar to your pcv.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:54 AM   #5

THOR #23208
It's a 2012. Thank you for the video !!!
Old 04-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
If it helps any I am attaching a picture of my 2013 ACE 30.1 V10 with dog house removed so you can see an untouched hose layout. I assume the PCV hose would run from passenger side valve cover to the throttle body but I don't know. Note the dog house retainer clips on the carpet floor foreground and similar two up under/near dash......release is easy. I did this many years ago when I was trying to figure out how to easily remove the lid on the air filter housing in the engine bay. Removing dog house is NOT required for that of course, but I was looking for some air intake hose flex space at the time. I hope you enjoy your coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Top Doghouse Removed.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	30142  
Old 04-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #7

THOR #23208
Many thanks!!!! Yes, we have enjoyed it so far, and hope to do so for years to come.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #8

THOR #23208
Was able to get to the engine as suggested. Pretty much confirmed that ive had squirrels try to set up a next on the engine block. Can see they were gnawing on some of the plastic electrical line protectors. Hopefully did not get into any actual wiring.
Please let me know if anyone has a proven rodent repellant that I can use to keep them away in the future.
Again, many thanks to everyone! Your support on this has been great.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #9

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Glad you found your issue and thanks for updating the forum. A fast dog is about all I can suggest for the squirrel deterrent.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:52 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Rodent repellants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlogan View Post
Was able to get to the engine as suggested. Pretty much confirmed that ive had squirrels try to set up a next on the engine block. Can see they were gnawing on some of the plastic electrical line protectors. Hopefully did not get into any actual wiring.
Please let me know if anyone has a proven rodent repellant that I can use to keep them away in the future.
Again, many thanks to everyone! Your support on this has been great.
I have been following a Jeep Wrangler forum thread about rodents chewing up the wiring harness on newer Jeeps. Apparently, Jeep has switched to soy-based plastic that is attractive to mice. Here is a link to that thread.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/thread...r-4xe.2457953/

So far most of the discussion has centered around having cats or dogs around to discourage the rodents. Poison has also been mentioned but it has drawbacks in that the poison can be ingested by animals you are not targeting either directly or indirectly by consuming a poisoned animal. I have been looking into repellants. Things like papermen oil and of all things Irish Spring soap. I also found ultrasonic devices that are supposed to repel rodents. I am currently trying to find independent information about how effective these devices are. I am interested in this because I found a dead passenger that I think I picked up during my trip west this winter. Here is a link to the ultrasonic devices on amazons website.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rodent+re...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Here is a link that includes the natural repellants.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rodent+re...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile mechanic, pcv valve hose