Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #5344
2016 Windsport 34F electrical issue

Went to Pala this weekend and the front AC went out, managed to make it through the weekend running only the rear AC. Got home and decided to take a look before I took it to the dealer. Pulled the AC covers off in the coach and pulled down the control board to find the high voltage connections completely melted! Then I remembered the electrical side of the water heater had stopped working also, so I thought I would take a look just for the hell of it and lo and behold I found the SAME problem! Not sure if the connections were loose or what. I also pulled the rear AC connections and checked those and they are good. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up! I was also planning on sending an email to Thor but hoping someone from there is lurking on this forum. The first 2 pics are of the AC and the 3rd and 4th are of the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0709171127a.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	5730   Click image for larger version

Name:	0709171132.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	5731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0709171200a.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	5732   Click image for larger version

Name:	0709171200.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	5733  

Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
WOW!!! You are VERY lucky not to have had a fire and VERY happy you didn't!!!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Wow, scary. Two questions for you; do yo have a surge protector, by chance have you checked your switch gear. Curious the cause.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcars302 View Post
Wow, scary. Two questions for you; do yo have a surge protector, by chance have you checked your switch gear. Curious the cause.
The cause is Thor not knowing how to properly connect wires with wire nuts. This is not the first case of looses connections causing arcing and melting of connections.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

THOR #7159
It's odd for two separate pieces of equipment to have same issue at same time. Either dumb luck or you have another issue. Just a thought.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
It's odd for two separate pieces of equipment to have same issue at same time. Either dumb luck or you have another issue. Just a thought.
Or it was the same guy at the plant that did both during assembly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
That was my first thought Jamie.... Sounds to me like this is where the hated lawyers come in. God forbid something much worse results from this type of garbage. I believe even a layman could get a number of electrical engineering experts together to testify that this is just plain shoddy, lazy installation. I would then get the installer on the stand and have him testify as to the fact that he/she had little to no experience, no training and no supervision, etc., $$$$ THEN, possibly, the industry would get the picture.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

THOR #5344
Before the Thor I had a toy hauler (not a Thor) the propane alarm kept going off, I started checking it out and found they had used a "T" under the fridge, one side went to the fridge and the top connector just had a piece of copper that had been bent over and crimped!! Needless to say I called the company and went off on them!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

THOR #5344
Quote:
Water heater issue happened last month, been using propane to heat the water, once I seen what happened with the AC I decided to check it out
Old 07-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #10

THOR #5344
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Or it was the same guy at the plant that did both during assembly.
That's what I'm thinking, as soon as I get time I'm going to check all the connections I can get to.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

THOR #7159
My switch gear arc'd, melted and started smoking, seconds from fire. Of course no smoke detector in bedroom. Young kids were oblivious to the danger up front watching tv. . Luckily I walked in and found it. In the service I was taught to secure electric, which I did. If I hadn't been there I would have lost the motorhome, or worse. After getting the switch replaced I checked every electrical connection, unreal how much I found loose. Now I do it twice a year, always find something, guess it's road vibration.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #12

THOR #5344
Quote:
My switch gear arc'd, melted and started smoking, seconds from fire. Of course no smoke detector in bedroom. Young kids were oblivious to the danger up front watching tv. . Luckily I walked in and found it. In the service I was taught to secure electric, which I did. If I hadn't been there I would have lost the motorhome, or worse. After getting the switch replaced I checked every electrical connection, unreal how much I found loose. Now I do it twice a year, always find something, guess it's road vibration.
Switch gear is located under the bed? Thats my next step is checking all electrical connections. I was going to open up under the bed to see what was under there, electrical panel is mounted on the side of the bed.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #13

THOR #7159
Mine was in the same compartment. Black box, cover snaps off. I also bought a progressive surge protector. Don't take any chances. Oh, I added a smoke detector in the bedroom also.