Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
A/C in hot weather

In hot weather is it better to have A/C in auto where the fan cycles on and off or better to leave the fan running for circulation? Interested in what others have experienced.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Auto
Old 07-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
X 2!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I leave mine in the auto position and turn on a fan for extra circulation if needed.

Paul
Old 07-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
"Better" in what way? And you're assuming the compressor would even cycle in HOT weather.

We leave ours in AUTO during the day but turn the fan ON at night for continuous white noise rather than having the whole thing cycle while sleeping.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
What Ace said above.

In “hot” weather I set thermostat cold enough that air conditioner won’t cycle so both compressor and fan stay on. I have never owned or rented an RV where temperature got uncomfortably cool when it was really hot outside. I prefer RV stay a little cooler just in case it can’t keep up later if conditions change.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We just run a small fan in order to get some air circulation.
It's much quieter than running the A/C unit's fan...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #8

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Everywhere I’ve traveled this summer I’ve heard the same thing from new owners. It’s too hot. I suggest they travel in cooler months but the answer is the kids will be in school. I’ve got mother for that. Maybe someone else has the answer or I believe we are going to see a lot of used rvs on the market.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Everywhere I’ve traveled this summer I’ve heard the same thing from new owners. It’s too hot. I suggest they travel in cooler months but the answer is the kids will be in school. I’ve got mother for that. Maybe someone else has the answer or I believe we are going to see a lot of used rvs on the market.
I would have to agree, there's going to be a flood of barely used RVs of all shapes/sizes/types in the very near future!
Most didn't have a clue of what to buy or what they bought, how much work it can be, all the routine maintenance required to keep it up, if not properly equipped they can't run everything they want parked in the middle of nowhere with only batteries & in the towables they can't tow it with their Prius like the salesman said
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:53 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
My theory on the AC fan is the roof of your coach where those ducts are routed is being baked by the hot sun. When the AC compressor isn't running you're basically operating a solar heater with the fan running so it'll actually heat your coach up faster than if you left it in auto and the fan stopped if/when it reached the set point.

My exception to this is when I'm visiting family and I can only get a 15 amp outlet. I set the fan on low speed constant to reduce the amp draw and avoid the extra in-rush current when the compressor starts having to also start the fan. The compressor runs more often because of the heating effect but I haven't tripped a breaker yet.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:07 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
IDK we leave the the fan on. A/C rarely cycles off anyway during the day. We prefer the fan running at night to circulate the air and as ACE stated we also like the white noise.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Do any of you have thermostats with a mode in between Fan On and Auto?

i.e. on Air Excel Thermostat model we have Cool Lo & Cool Hi, but if we are boondocking near others we don't run the AC at all during the quiet time. If we have shorepower, then at night we have FRONT AC on AUTO with temperature set. It is ducted to the bedroom. It is not so much to avoid the noise, but to control the volume of air blowing down on us because it is not as strong coming from FRONT unit in Main cabin to the Bedroom as if it was coming from the unit directly above in the bedroom.

I can't think of when we used FAN on ON either Hi or Low; for either unit? If Generator is running then white noise is none factor, if on shore power, I just assume have the ACs running. From this thread, I may try to put both units on COOL LO one night to see what happens. I think we would freeze
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #13

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We just run a small fan in order to get some air circulation.
It's much quieter than running the A/C unit's fan...
We run the ceiling fan on low or high also both for comfort and a slight amount of white noise
Old 08-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Any small fan to push air recommendation?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I use a table top model called Vornado that I bought at Costco for around $40.00. It pushes a lot of air for it's size. I believe it is about a 12" fan. It has 3 speeds.

Paul
Old 08-01-2021, 11:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Do any of you have thermostats with a mode in between Fan On and Auto?

i.e. on Air Excel Thermostat model we have Cool Lo & Cool Hi, but if we are boondocking near others we don't run the AC at all during the quiet time. If we have shorepower, then at night we have FRONT AC on AUTO with temperature set. It is ducted to the bedroom. It is not so much to avoid the noise, but to control the volume of air blowing down on us because it is not as strong coming from FRONT unit in Main cabin to the Bedroom as if it was coming from the unit directly above in the bedroom.

I can't think of when we used FAN on ON either Hi or Low; for either unit? If Generator is running then white noise is none factor, if on shore power, I just assume have the ACs running. From this thread, I may try to put both units on COOL LO one night to see what happens. I think we would freeze
Our OEM thermostat had HEAT OFF COOL on one switch
FAN AUTO ON on another switch, and
FAN HIGH LOW on a third switch.

So the fan could be run in either ON or AUTO modes in either HIGH or LOW speeds.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #17

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Our OEM thermostat had HEAT OFF COOL on one switch
FAN AUTO ON on another switch, and
FAN HIGH LOW on a third switch.

So the fan could be run in either ON or AUTO modes in either HIGH or LOW speeds.
You made me go get my manual... basically my Digital Thermostats do the same thing as you have described.

I did learn something that I didn't know. Say I have my Thermostat set at 78 degrees

When I set Unit for Cool Lo, or Cool High, the Fan will run continuously. If the Coach temperature hit 79 or higher, the Compressor will kick on I had incorrectly assumed that the Compressor would come on and stay on continuously not knowing that once temperature has been satisfied the Compressor will kick off; but Fan stay on

I will try that, especially if I am hooked up to only 20/30 amps power. It may be a more efficient way to save energy because when set to AUTO and temperature is met, everything shuts down and it gets hot faster inside the coach and it restarts the cycle; it also goes from loud to quiet. When Cool Lo or Cool Hi; the fan is always running so you do have some white noise, but if it gets warm, it will also turn AC compressor back on to which I like.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #18

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I use a table top model called Vornado that I bought at Costco for around $40.00. It pushes a lot of air for it's size. I believe it is about a 12" fan. It has 3 speeds.

Paul
We have been using this same fan for several years, it makes a difference.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveler 30 A
THOR #21497
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBard48 View Post
In hot weather is it better to have A/C in auto where the fan cycles on and off or better to leave the fan running for circulation? Interested in what others have experienced.
I leave mine on auto. I always turn on both A/c units. The glass in the front end of my unit radiates heat. Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Washington were all above 100 in July.