Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #11525
A/C not cooling enough

I just purchased a Windsport 29M. As I live in Texas, I opted for the dual a/c units.

Today is in the mid 90s and yes that is pretty warm but I am very disappointed that I can’t keep it more comfortable in the coach with two a/c units going.

Are my expectations unrealistic or should I be able to keep the coach 75 degrees?

Should I take it in for a warranty issue or is about 78-80 the best I can hope for?

Old 05-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
If you have ducted outlets..I would pull the interior covers and see if the ductwork is connected and the ducts are not blocked with insulation/debris..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #3

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
If you have ducted outlets..I would pull the interior covers and see if the ductwork is connected and the ducts are not blocked with insulation/debris..

Thanks, but I have plenty of air pushing through the ducts, but it just can’t seem to keep up with the Texas heat.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
You should be very comfortable especially with two AC's. It is probably something simple. If you are under warranty or not, I would have some AC folks take a look. Don't suffer in the heat for less.
Good luck.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The typical A/C will have a temperature of differential of 20 degrees Fahrenheit. That is the exit temperature should be 20 degrees below the inlet temperature. More than that and you risk the evaporator coils icing up. The problem is full sun on the coach and the huge glass windshield. If you cover just the windshield with a product like Reflectix, you can remain cooler. About the max temperature differential you can expect in a class A coach with single pane windows and uncovered windshield, in the full sun is 16-18 degrees. I find that in the Texas heat if we run both roof A/c and the dash air we can travel comfortable. If we are parked for the day, we try to find a shady spot and install the Magne Shade. It is 96 in West San Antonio today.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Squires View Post
I just purchased a Windsport 29M. As I live in Texas, I opted for the dual a/c units.

Today is in the mid 90s and yes that is pretty warm but I am very disappointed that I can’t keep it more comfortable in the coach with two a/c units going.

Are my expectations unrealistic or should I be able to keep the coach 75 degrees?

Should I take it in for a warranty issue or is about 78-80 the best I can hope for?
I have a Windsport 31S live in Fl and have been in the keys during the summer.
No problem cooling the coach with 2 a/c’s at all. I do have a Magneshade windshield and driver and pass covers. I also had the windows tinted with ceramic tint. You have to do something to mitigate the heat entering the coach.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
This discussion on other forums & was a problem on mine. You'll have to remove the a.c. cover on the roof & the metal plenum to find where the return air comes in, there's a foam gasket that separates the return air from the cool letting warm outside air in. Put gasket back in place & seal with aluminum duct tape. That's the 1st step I'd take. Next add a couple portable fans, if you haven't already, to move the air around.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:55 AM   #8

THOR #11525
Thanks all for the tips. I’ll start to incorporate these suggestions immediately.

As far as moving air around, is there a way to use the installed fans st the top of the windshield without the engine on?
Old 05-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
One of the problems air conditioning any RV, is the walls are so thin and not at all well insulated. With the sun beating down on an RV in 90+ degree heat, fighting that greenhouse effect is kind of a losing battle. I fought that issue for years with two AC's in our former 41 footer, and often lost the temperature battle. With the little Gemini, I added a second AC, and basically have the same AC capacity I had in the 41 footer, with only 25 feet and two small slides instead of 4 very large ones, so it does quite well. It does well only because the ratio of AC capacity vs cubic feet is so different.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #10

THOR #11525
I’m thinking my best solution is to go to Colorado for the summer.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:33 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks all for the tips. I’ll start to incorporate these suggestions immediately.

As far as moving air around, is there a way to use the installed fans st the top of the windshield without the engine on?
Why? That's some of the hottest air in the coach. We have a thermal curtain installed behind the driver/passenger seats that allows us to completely separate the cockpit area from the living area on those really hot Florida days.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #12

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Why? That's some of the hottest air in the coach. We have a thermal curtain installed behind the driver/passenger seats that allows us to completely separate the cockpit area from the living area on those really hot Florida days.

Good point. But we swivel those chairs around and use them as living room recliners. But I get your point. That may be one of the reasons we are having trouble cooling the coach. Ummmm ...
Old 05-19-2018, 02:30 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
First, and best initial test, is checking air temperature in and out of both A/Cs.

Like Beau stated, it should be in 15 ~ 20 F range. If more or less than that, it will give you good idea of what to look for. If in right range, then problem is likely too much heat gain.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:28 AM   #14

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
have a outlaw 37ls in 95 deg weather i can easily get the coach down to 65 deg, it takes a bit once down to 65 one a/c keeps it there, it really depends what temp your starting at, if the coach is hot and the air was off. you have to cool all items inside , you can check the a/c units for clogged airflow across the condenser, leaves, road trash, critters. and check for a good seal by the a/c cover
Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Quote:
I’m thinking my best solution is to go to Colorado for the summer.
We are headed there now, after wintering in FL :-)
Old 05-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I spent a week in South Dakota last summer with highs above 105 every day. The 2 AC's in the Miramar kept us cool! The 20 degree change from input to output sounds about right which simply means it takes awhile to cool it down. Once you have reached inside temperatures of 80 degrees you should be able to drop it from there easily.

We always cool it down with both AC's then just use the one in the rear when we're sitting up front and reverse the process when we go to bed. We often close the ducts to push the air where we are when just using one.

Bottom line...if you can't make the coach comfortable with out all the extra hoops to jump through then something is not working properly. All the suggestions may make it easier on the AC's but should not be necessary. We keep ours at about 72 degrees...just like home.

As you stated you have plenty of air flow, just not cold, then something is definitely wrong. I would take in in to have it checked out.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
first, everyone has a different personal 'feel' for what is 'cool enough' for them... none of us can know what that is for you, only you can.

second, sometimes the hot sun and humidity are just too much for even two air conditioners running 24/7 to overcome - there are so many things that can effect your desired outcome: sun coming into windows, the insulation factor in your roof, the height of your ceiling, which way your coach is faced, humidity, whether there is any breeze/wind or not, trees/shade, air infiltration/gaps in slides, etc. etc.

third, sometimes air conditioners in RVs aren't the most efficient since insulation, ducting, and how they were installed plays a role - sometimes getting into the ducting reveals blockages or poor duct tape work.

fourth, fans to move air around is a large part of 'feeling' comfortable, just as much as the actual temperature. The more fans the better.

...been there, done that! TWICE!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #18

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by j37genie View Post
We are headed there now, after wintering in FL :-)

I envy you. We full time RV, but grandchildren live in Texas and grand-momma says we have to hang in the Texas heat more than I want. But we are headed to Colorado late June.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #19

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I has similar problem on my class c. The ceiling is one big duct with holes cut out for the supply vents. The holes were not cut out all the way so I took the vent covers off and cut the holes with a utility knife. Air flow increased quite a bit. I think the person cutting the holes with a hole saw was about 2 inches too short to make a clean cut all the way through the ceiling. Next I took the AC cover off the inside of the coach and found a baffle that separates hot air from cold air. The baffle was installed incorrectly so the hot and cold air were blending. As far as temperature differential, a good IR thermometer will tell you if you have good cooling.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #20

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
As far as temperature differential, a good IR thermometer will tell you if you have good cooling.

Thanks. I’m on the road but will be back at the house without wheels in a few days. I have an IR thermometer there and that’s the first thing I will check.