Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
A/C temperature swing

Does anyone know, from first hand knowldge, how to adjust the temp swing (i.e. the high/low points for the A/C in cool function. It could also be described as cycles per hour. Goal is to have a more constant temperature.

We have a 2019 Vegas with Coleman Mach 8, 15,000 btu, and the Lippert One control-no seperate thermostat. Are the cycle points determined in the Coleman unit or by the Lippert settings-or is it even possible to change it.

I have contacted Coleman and got no reply. I also had several emails back and forth to Lippert, who never did answer the question. Instead, they told me how to set the auto points to switch between A/C and heat. Dealer has virtually no in depth knowledge about Lippert One.

I figure someone on this forum is a Lippert One wizard.

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Do you have the Coleman Mach8 with the control knobs in the overhead unit rather than a thermostat on the wall? If you do (I have that unit in my Travato) I do not believe there is any way to adjust the “temperature swing) as there is with a wall Thermostat.

https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModul...df/1976617.pdf

This is a link to the Coleman Mach manuals.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
I can't help you directly, but I recommend calling Lippert again and asking them how to adjust the thermostat hysteresis. Hopefully asking the question that way will get you to someone who can either tell you how to adjust it or if it can even be adjusted.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #4

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
A possible solution to temperature swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Do you have the Coleman Mach8 with the control knobs in the overhead unit rather than a thermostat on the wall? If you do (I have that unit in my Travato) I do not believe there is any way to adjust the “temperature swing) as there is with a wall Thermostat.

https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModul...df/1976617.pdf

This is a link to the Coleman Mach manuals.
Thank you for your reply. There are no knobs or wall thermostat on my Vegas, just the Lippert One Control.

The Lippert response was to set the function to "Heat/Cool" and adjust the two setpoints. This was not quite what I wanted to do as I do not want to turn on the heat at the lower setpoint-I just want to have a "tighter range" for the Cool to operate within.

I just went to my storage site and noticed my L1C has two possible heat source settings- "Prefer Gas" and "Other", so I did the following:

--Set the function to Heat/Cool
--Set the heat preference to Other
--Set the two temp settings as close as they can be set, e.g. 72/74.

Since I have no heat source other than Gas, this appears to turn the Cool on at 74, off at 72, and turn the non-existent heat source on at 72. Of course, the fan can be set to Auto, High, or Low as well.

In a short trial, this seems to work fine and is probably the minimum temp swing that can be achieved for the A/C. We will be taking trip in a week and will have a longer period to check it out.

In a perfect world, it would be great if someone could design an RV heat pump with a variable speed fan and compressor.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
Does anyone know, from first hand knowldge, how to adjust the temp swing (i.e. the high/low points for the A/C in cool function. It could also be described as cycles per hour. Goal is to have a more constant temperature.

We have a 2019 Vegas with Coleman Mach 8, 15,000 btu, and the Lippert One control-no seperate thermostat. Are the cycle points determined in the Coleman unit or by the Lippert settings-or is it even possible to change it.

I have contacted Coleman and got no reply. I also had several emails back and forth to Lippert, who never did answer the question. Instead, they told me how to set the auto points to switch between A/C and heat. Dealer has virtually no in depth knowledge about Lippert One.

I figure someone on this forum is a Lippert One wizard.

Thanks!
The first thing is to find out where the temperature is being sensed. Usually it sensed where it convenient and not away from any drafts or vents. Mine is under the hall vent, so if the hall or bathroom vent is open at all the A/Cs cycle but the coach is hot in the front. Closing all but one vent in the bedroom, the hall and bathroom vents, keeps the front of the coach cool and the A/Cs cycle in a 2 to 3 degree temperature range. We have to change the vents at night but not the thermostat setting.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote