Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
chunker21's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,728
THOR #22586
I have a couple sets of snow chains in my garage that will not be needed in south Alabama. But they are a good reminder not to live where they are needed. I have driven on snow and ice in several northern states and in Europe and I won't do that in a motorhome, 4WD or not.

__________________
2022 Renegade Valencia 35MB
2021 Jeep Gladiator
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 2,291
THOR #6903
There is so much damage that can occur with snow or ice build-up under a motor home. Due to that reason I avoid snow or ice especially if the temperature is at the point where it is either melting or freezing. Those are the worse times to get built up and have clearance issues or damage from built up.

We have ran into snow enroute and passed through it carefully but certainly not enjoying it. Last year on 1-70 we ran into a 50-60 mile stretch going from dry to 6 inches of snow. A large number of folks in the ditch and median when we passed by.
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #23
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Kentucky
Posts: 45
THOR #23350
Hey Jimbo56 if you grew up in WV you might understand why my butt is permanently puckered shut after driving my 30' class A into Kanawha state forest campground! Their site recommends no vehicles over 24' but I didnt see that until after the trip! Life changing experience

As for chains, I lived in Idaho and used them once on my F150 in the mountains. They are great for traction but heavy, noisy, and certainly cannot be used outside of real snow pack. Just my opinion...
__________________
boggsy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
HMCSW's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
Posts: 740
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highdesert RV View Post
We're headed up to Washington from sunny California, passing through Grant's Pass we may hit some snow. What is easier or better for Class C motorhome chains or cables. Thank you to all that respond in advance.
We live up that way. So they keep I 5 pretty clean since it is the only way to get up here other than the coast. We bought AUTOsocks. Fit in a plastic bag and weight nothing. They are from Norway and been around a long time and work great. Up here anything over 10,000 pounds are required to carry traction devices. If a chain or cable break it will cause a lot of damage before you could stop. Enjoy the drive. We take it the opposite many times a year as we have a daughter in Valencia.
__________________
2021 Aria 3401
2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - toad
2010 Porsche Boxster(trailered)
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
HMCSW's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
Posts: 740
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highdesert RV View Post
I was looking at that also. How is that drive? It's on the 1?
the best way is to cut accrues from I-5 on the north side of Clearlake to 101. Then straight north through Eureka. Once in Oregon there are basically 3 options. We like Reedsport which will bring you back to I-5 about 30 minute south of Eugene.

There are plenty of places to stop for a night this route. But i expect that I-5 will be cleared. Unless we get a big dump the highway folks do a good job.
__________________
2021 Aria 3401
2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - toad
2010 Porsche Boxster(trailered)
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 2,166
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsy64 View Post
Hey Jimbo56 if you grew up in WV you might understand why my butt is permanently puckered shut after driving my 30' class A into Kanawha state forest campground! Their site recommends no vehicles over 24' but I didnt see that until after the trip! Life changing experience

As for chains, I lived in Idaho and used them once on my F150 in the mountains. They are great for traction but heavy, noisy, and certainly cannot be used outside of real snow pack. Just my opinion...
Spent many a weekend in Kanawha State Forest back in 70s and 80s. Got to 2nd base for first time in 72 while there. Great memories. Campground was really only designed to accommodate tents.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:14 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
We live up that way. So they keep I 5 pretty clean since it is the only way to get up here other than the coast. We bought AUTOsocks. Fit in a plastic bag and weight nothing. They are from Norway and been around a long time and work great. Up here anything over 10,000 pounds are required to carry traction devices. If a chain or cable break it will cause a lot of damage before you could stop. Enjoy the drive. We take it the opposite many times a year as we have a daughter in Valencia.
Well we beat the winter storm through Shasta City and Dunsmuir. There was 3 inches of snow accumulation on the side of the road. They sanded and salted, the traffic slowed to 30. It definitely was an experience that I won't forget. Made it safely to family in Yelm, Washington. I want to thank you and everyone for info and advice.

We live close to Valencia.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:18 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
HMCSW's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
Posts: 740
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highdesert RV View Post
Well we beat the winter storm through Shasta City and Dunsmuir. There was 3 inches of snow accumulation on the side of the road. They sanded and salted, the traffic slowed to 30. It definitely was an experience that I won't forget. Made it safely to family in Yelm, Washington. I want to thank you and everyone for info and advice.

We live close to Valencia.
Great news. Enjoy the great Northwet. We are heading down next month. Hopefully we will luck out. Staying in Acton and Santa Barbara
__________________
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2