Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
TV splitter location?

All three TV's work just fine off the roof ant., but only the bedroom tv works great on cable hookup. Other two TV's are kinda hazy. I have checked all the connections visible including the power switch box in cabinet. May be a loose connection on the splitter if I can find it.
TIA.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
It's most likely the switch box. All the TV signals pass through it first, before returning back to each of the televisions. Even the bedroom TV.

If one TV works, (the bedroom), with the cable signal passing through it, the other two should also.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

THOR #1249
If I'm not mistaken, the three tv's are connected somewhat like the diagram in the edited pic. Could be the switch box(in pic aka ant. booster). Checked all those connections and they were ok. Can't find the hidden splitter, but I would suspect it could be a loose connection on the outputs to the other not so good tv's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wildca16_800x600a.jpg
Views:	7647
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	728
Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wouldn't surprise me if the splitter was in the wall behind the booster (pull out the microwave--I've done it; it isn't that difficult).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

THOR #1249
Good idea. That is right adjacent to the booster. Will do today.
Thanx.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

THOR #1249
You were right Jamie. I found the splitter back of the MW unit. There are only 6 screws holding it in the cabinet. When the last two screws were loosened, the MV popped out a few inches due to the wire bundle behind it springing it out. The splitter was hard pressed against the metal back of the MW. I re-positioned all the wiring and splitter so there was little to no contact with the back of the MW as shown in the pic below.
I checked for loose connections and a couple of them were only slightly loose, maybe 1/8 turn. Could be a couple of connections may have been contacting the metal backing on the MW. Although, I don't know if that could cause a bad connection/tv picture. I have no way to check the quality of the pictures on both tv's until I get to a campground with a cable hookup next month to check. Hopefully the connections are fixed, but if not, at least I know where all the ends are located and will go from there.
Thanks again for the info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MW cavity splitter view red.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	731
Old 08-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi MCR1010, after reading your description that all TVs work fine when using the antenna feed, but only one of three TVs seem to work when using the external cable feed, my first thought was that the splitter input and its output cabling to all three TV's must be fine or you would probably have issues both on antenna and cable feeds. So why would cable feed only seem to be a problem then? I did a quick read in the Winegard antenna amp document (assuming you have Winegard amp) and it says that when on cable feed you should turn off the antenna amp (light out). I have never used cable on my own coach and so did not know that the amp had to be turned off for cable input. Just in case you did not do this, I wonder if this would make a difference for your cable feed situation?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

THOR #1249
I found a way to hook up to cable in my driveway and went trouble shooting all connections. Went back in on the splitter behind the MW and found on closer inspection that the center wire on two of the coax connections, out to tv's had a thin coat of what looked like white plastic insulation on them. One was ok, hence the bedroom tv was ok. I scraped off the insulation, hooked them back to the splitter and all tv's are crisp and clear now. My wife was helping and now she is a happy camper as it was a constant irritation for her.
I can't figure why all three were ok when using the ant., unless it was due to the booster.
Sure appreciate all the helpful suggestions from the group.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #9

State: Virginia
THOR #5318
Loose cable connection

I have a similar problem. I have a 2015 hurricane 34f with a pantry to the right of the refrigator.

The hdmi unit is in a compartment above the refrigator, and the booster is on the right side wall of the compartment with the wiring being in a box above the pantry.

I started getting poor reception on all the tvs when on cable but not on antenna. I pulled the booster and checked all the connections. I noted that when I jiggled the white wire going into the wall the signal would clear up.

Therefore I believe e I have a loose connection between the booster and the cable connection on the side of the camper.
Has anybody opened the area above the pantry? If so how?

Thank you for any advice.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Has anyone looked for that splitter in an ACE 30.3? Just wondering if it might be behind the microwave in the 30.3, too.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Some of my TV connections were loose, but the reason my signal failed on antenna was that the cable to antenna connection on the roof rusted and separated. New end, back to good TV signal with the antenna and booster. Sealed the new one up with plenty of silicone.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Has anyone looked for that splitter in an ACE 30.3? Just wondering if it might be behind the microwave in the 30.3, too.
I found the splitter in my ACE 30.3. It is behind the microwave. That didn't help me, though, with my satellite issue. That splitter is between the amplifier on the wallplate in the cabinet above the microwave and the tvs. My problem is I am not getting a satellite signal from the dish to the receiver by using the cable tv port on the outside and bypassing the amplifier, per the suggestions of several others on these forums. I finally purchased a coax tester from Lowes and according to it the coax between the outside port and the amplifier is open, so I guess I have a bad coax running through my coach - I assume rv park cable would not work either, haven't had the chance to try it yet. So, it's back to the drawing board for me. I had hoped to avoid drilling holes in my coach to add new outside hookups, but I might have to.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:02 AM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
... I finally purchased a coax tester from Lowes and according to it the coax between the outside port and the amplifier is open, so I guess I have a bad coax running through my coach - I assume rv park cable would not work either, haven't had the chance to try it yet. So, it's back to the drawing board for me. I had hoped to avoid drilling holes in my coach to add new outside hookups, but I might have to.
Had same issue with mine... Affected cable TV somewhat (some snow on lower channels)... High speed internet wouldn't work at all... Nor would satellite.
I've bypassed it with another line... Temporarily running under slide, eventually will be new line running along chassis

Not that line testers won't work through a splitter... But shouldn't be one between rear outlet and amplifier.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:34 AM   #14

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
All three TV's work just fine off the roof ant., but only the bedroom tv works great on cable hookup. Other two TV's are kinda hazy. I have checked all the connections visible including the power switch box in cabinet. May be a loose connection on the splitter if I can find it.
TIA.
That's strange, mine is just the opposite. On park cable outside and front room TV's work fine, bedroom is so hazy and snowy you can't watch it. On MH ant, all TV's work with good picture and sound with the exception of the bedroom tv going to a blue screen every few minutes and a warning on screen that the video signal has been lost. I did open the cabinet that the bedroom tv is attached and started pushing and pulling on the cable that connects to the wallplate and it seems to be working. At least on the MH ant. Not had a chance to try connecting it to park cable or my dish set up at home. All this after CW said they can not replicate the problem. They seem happy with my problem because they can't find it. It's not the TV, it's the connection some where.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #15

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
How did you get cable from the driveway....curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I found a way to hook up to cable in my driveway and went trouble shooting all connections. Went back in on the splitter behind the MW and found on closer inspection that the center wire on two of the coax connections, out to tv's had a thin coat of what looked like white plastic insulation on them. One was ok, hence the bedroom tv was ok. I scraped off the insulation, hooked them back to the splitter and all tv's are crisp and clear now. My wife was helping and now she is a happy camper as it was a constant irritation for her.
I can't figure why all three were ok when using the ant., unless it was due to the booster.
Sure appreciate all the helpful suggestions from the group.