Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38sq
State: California
THOR #4598
2016 Tuscany XTE with Windshield Night Shade Motor Failure

I have a 2016 Tuscany XTE 34st which has had 2 failures of windshield night shade motor. The windshield sun shade has not failed yet. The most recent failure occurred 36 days past my warranty period. The shade just stopped retracting after raising about 15 inches. We are not full timers so the usage has not been excessive, about 56 days of camping in just over 13 months of ownership.
It appears to me that the durability of this assembly is very poor and that I will likely experience periodic failures in the future unless there is an upgrade I can incorporate to this system. Can anyone in this community comment on their experience with this unit and offer advice that I might find helpful?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Those motorized blinds aren't cheap, I had to replace one in our Tuscany about a year after the warranty ran out. I am posting a link to Steve's Blinds, they makes several different styles of blinds for RVs, one is manual and one is motorized with a remote.

https://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper.com
Old 07-24-2017, 02:52 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany 38sq
State: California
THOR #4598
Thanks for the feedback SuperD. I haven't had a chance to look at your link but I will soon. I don't fully understand the operation of the windshield blinds. There are both a Night Shade and a Sun Shade mounted in very close proximity with the Sun Shade being forward of the Night Shade. They are powered independently but I wouldn't intuitively think that there are 2 independent motors in the system. I was on the road at the time of the failure so I was very leery of doing to much tinkering when the failure occurred.

I will check out Steve's Blinds and see what they have to offer. It doesn't make sense to me to continue to install failure prone hardware.
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote