Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 01:57 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Camco Extender stuck on Jet Flo Macerator

I received a brand new Portable Jet Flow Macerator tonight. I had also purchased a brand new Clear 3" long Camco extender so when installed; I could see between the RV Sewer pipe and the Jet Flo macerator. However when I took it out the box, I connected the two, and I am now unable to get the two apart It is almost as if it is welded tight. It was not that hard when I put it on, but with my wife trying to hold and me turning nothing happens and vice versa.

Is there any trick? I know there is to tool for Camco that I don't have, but I feel that if I had it it would not work because I can't get the macerator still to get good counter pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201103_200500.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	27013  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:13 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Pinnacle 300
State: Arizona
THOR #20005
How in the world did you do that??
Maybe put the end of the pump down on the ground and push down on the connector when you try to turn.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:26 AM   #3

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster210 View Post
How in the world did you do that??
Maybe put the end of the pump down on the ground and push down on the connector when you try to turn.

It screwed on easily. I was actually just trying to verify that it would fit. But apparently it did not need to be twisted on all the way?

I tried you suggestion, but it spins when I try to turn It would be really bad if it was stuck like it is on the actual RV sewer outlet pipe.

I am hoping someone has seen or heard of this, it has derailed all of my plans for tonight. No where on the pump to put wrench or clamp.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-04-2020, 02:27 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The cam locks have a detent in them that the lugs snap into and are about an eighth of the lug diameter.
You have to twist much harder than You'd expect or even dare.
You have to overcome the detent by the cam locks bending.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:32 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps bit of heat from hairdryer?
Old 11-04-2020, 02:38 AM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The cam locks have a detent in them that the lugs snap into and are about an eighth of the lug diameter.
You have to twist much harder than You'd expect or even dare.
You have to overcome the detent by the cam locks bending.
I can't get anymore counterclockwise force on that 3" extender, and whatever force I do get counterclockwise on extender I need the same or equal amount on the flo jet so that it does not move.

If I ever get it off, I would be afraid to try to use. If it has detent mechanical lock does that block grease or lubricant? I tried liquid wrench but it made no difference. How frustrating. You would think the Camco Clear extender and Jet Flo would be easy fit parts
Old 11-04-2020, 02:40 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Get a pair of these, put one strap on the extender and one on the macerator, and twist the wrenches in opposite directions. Once you get them apart, put a little lubricant on the parts that are binding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-11-03 (3).png
Views:	45
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	27014  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Place the straps as indicated; don't try to twist the motor. Strap wrenches can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-11-03 (4).png
Views:	59
Size:	701.6 KB
ID:	27015  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:04 AM   #9

THOR #13058
This problem has been solved. Duckface triggered an idea in my mind when he mentioned lugs. I got to thinking how you go around the lugs to tighten...
I got a very small flat head screwdriver and just barely pushed on the backside of one lug and then did the same on the opposite lug, move to lug 3 and & 4 and repeated. After 2nd time, I could tell the binding was breaking free. I did two more times and then got my DW and we tried again with towels and we were able to break it free with our hands

Thanks for all of the ideas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201103_205117.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	27016  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:12 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps bit of heat from hairdryer?
From a what kind of dryer?

Attached Images

Old 11-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
From his Wife's hairdryer...
Glad to see that you got them unglued!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
From his Wife's hairdryer...
Glad to see that you got them unglued!
Does that guy look like he might be married

Yes, that was nerve wrecking last night, it kind of spoil my fun of getting new macerator. Now that I have it, I guess I should never plug it up to my sewer drain line so it will not get stuck again , or I could hook it up loosely knowing that maybe 80% of the affluent will make it through the macerator? I will just have to clean up the other 20% in the wetbay.

For now, I have new 6 pound weight

On the bright side, I am glad it was stuck on the extender, and not the actual RV sewer pipe. My plan is to eventually get around to putting it on and off the same extender until I break it in. I will plan on using the screwdriver the 1st few times until I can twist off with my bare hands and with no tools. The good news is that when stuck; the opposite side of the clear extender easily comes off the RVs sewer drain pipe. So my worse case is that I can't get the extender off the flo pump so the flo pump will not fit in it's storage case.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
I had the exact same problem. Used a strap wrench to remove.

I noticed the o-ring seemed too thick and created lots of friction on the face of the extender. I coated the o-ring, mating face of the extender and the latching pins and grooves liberally with plumbers grease. I can now put the extender on and off without help.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnbl View Post
I had the exact same problem. Used a strap wrench to remove.

I noticed the o-ring seemed too thick and created lots of friction on the face of the extender. I coated the o-ring, mating face of the extender and the latching pins and grooves liberally with plumbers grease. I can now put the extender on and off without help.

I actually have a 4" metal strap wrench but It would not fit over the either end of extender or jet flo pump. Had it did, I would have needed 2 like Popfla was suggesting.

The screwdriver did the trick, but I should not have to. Is this the grease you are referring to?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Greas...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I may pick up today. I wonder if I could also use this plumbers grease on my pool o rings? I have been using teflon lubricants by magic lube and that is more costly than this silicone grease.

Thanks for making me feel better knowing I was not alone encountering this problem. Jet-flo should have little tube of grease with each new unit and instructions to use the grease the 1st few times until you confirm it can be removed on /off freely.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #15

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
you can buy the Rino sewer hose wrenches from Amazon/Walmart for 2 for $15.00. Walmart may have them in stock.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
you can buy the Rino sewer hose wrenches from Amazon/Walmart for 2 for $15.00. Walmart may have them in stock.
I do need to get those Rhino wrenches.

I put the Danco plumbers grease on it today, hard to say if it help because it is still very hard to get off, but I can get it off without the screwdriver now. I think the more I twist on/off; I break in and this issue will go away.

But I would like to shift this to an Electrical question

I noticed the Jet flo red and black wires coming out of the pump is 14awg, but the red and black wires for the remote (6ft long) is 12 awg (with 20 amp fuse). Similarly the red/black wired that goes to the battery is also 6ft long and 12 awg.

Why is that? Won't the wires coming out of the motor get hot 1st and burn/melt first? Seems like everything should be 12awg? But worse, the Jet Flo manual says if you need to run 10' - 20' to reach battery source, you should use 10awg.

I plan to run positive to positive post on my genset and find a ground. Total length is 12 feet.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:43 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This problem has been solved. Duckface triggered an idea in my mind when he mentioned lugs. I got to thinking how you go around the lugs to tighten...
Why did you want to remove it? I have one on my flojet and I just leave it attached. I did it so if I ever broke an attachment hook it would be on the extension and I could always replace it vs. replacing the pump housing.

Pete
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Why did you want to remove it? I have one on my flojet and I just leave it attached. I did it so if I ever broke an attachment hook it would be on the extension and I could always replace it vs. replacing the pump housing.

Pete
1st I had no idea or intent that it was to be permanent. 2ndly I was just initially trying to ensure it fit and it would come off. Both parts were recent brand new. Fortunately I was testing on the the extender because I already knew the extender fit well with the RV sewer drain pipe.

As far as I how I think I will used (not install yet waiting on wiring that I will need)...

I only plan to use the Flo - Jet when at home. When I remove it from the RV I wish to store the Flo-Jet in it's case. The Camco extender has to be off to put in the case. If I didn't want the case, I would have bought the cheaper Sewerflo Macerator Contrary to what I read a lot, I actually like my Camco slinky hoses. They work great at campsites and dump facilities. In future, now that I have a Clear Camco 3" extender, I can see the affluent going into the hose. I already had a clear 90 for the end that goes into ground sewer hose. Of course I could always but a 2nd Clear Camco extender and it would be cheaper than the Rhino wrench tools, but to my knowledge this is suppose to be simple twist off. It clearly wasn't. As far as hook on the Jet flo breaking, it has more chance of breaking new when it is not broken in than when the extender and it has been used more. I have the plumbers grease if it helps plus the knowledge that I can at least get it off by hand and if necessary, I can use the little screwdriver ever so slightly to break it free.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It does make a lot of sense to store it in it's case.
And now that you know the "secret handshake":
Old 11-12-2020, 03:01 AM   #20
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Every time I get a new screw on sewer fitting I try it. If it binds when I try and remove it, I get the straps. I grease the seals. Then I file the ears so that they are easier to get past the lugs. Then they always had tighten and loosen by had without a problem. You don't want to over do the filing though.