Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Camera splitter box help.

My story——I bought used 2019 Thor ACE 29.3 August 2020. The cameras did not work and the Axxera died soon after. Under warranty the dealer owes me a new Axxera and working cameras. The Axxera is on back order due covid.

I bought an Eyoyo 10 inch LCD monitor to test my cameras.

The camera splitter box has power but no signal is coming out to the Eyoyo monitor.

Is the splitter box bad? Any other ideas I am missing to try?

The dealer cannot help me until they get the new Axxera.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
you should have cables to each side mirror and one for rear on the splitter box???

should be inputs for all those and then output to monitor.

you test all three? gotta put blinker on for each side testing
Old 01-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #3

THOR #20468
Yes it has three camera wires going in the splitter box and one going out to the Axxera. I moved the output cable to the new Eyoyo monitor and shows no signal. The Eyoyo is set for the correct input but I tried all the input setting but no signal.

The splitter box has 12 volt power. I had the motor running and tried transmission in reverse and also tried left and right turn signal. I also had the Axxera power on but the touch screen does not work. Same message, no signal to new monitor.

My best guess is splitter box is defective. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Bedford Ford Service
6985 Lincoln Hwy
(814) 623-8154

They replaced our engine in our hurricane, they have great RV service.

might be solution if you can't figure it out.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post
Yes it has three camera wires going in the splitter box and one going out to the Axxera. I moved the output cable to the new Eyoyo monitor and shows no signal. The Eyoyo is set for the correct input but I tried all the input setting but no signal.

The splitter box has 12 volt power. I had the motor running and tried transmission in reverse and also tried left and right turn signal. I also had the Axxera power on but the touch screen does not work. Same message, no signal to new monitor.

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. I would just do two idiot checks:

1 - The switch box (not splitter) has to have power to feed to the cameras. You've verified it has 12 VDC power in. Did you verify the + an - are goint to the right inputs? Thor has been known to confuse polarities.

2 - Depending on the model switchbox it may have one (video) or two (video and audio) RCA out jacks. Are you sure the RCA cable is connected to the video out and not the audio out?

So if those idiot checks passed and you have verified not video out to the new monitor either with or without the turn signals activated then I would concur the switch box has a problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #6

THOR #20468
I will try those two idiot checks and post back what I find.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Do you have the ignition switch on?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #8

THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Do you have the ignition switch on?
Yes. Motor running and use/store switch is on.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #9

THOR #20468
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sounds like you have all the bases covered. I would just do two idiot checks:

1 - The switch box (not splitter) has to have power to feed to the cameras. You've verified it has 12 VDC power in. Did you verify the + an - are goint to the right inputs? Thor has been known to confuse polarities.

2 - Depending on the model switchbox it may have one (video) or two (video and audio) RCA out jacks. Are you sure the RCA cable is connected to the video out and not the audio out?

So if those idiot checks passed and you have verified not video out to the new monitor either with or without the turn signals activated then I would concur the switch box has a problem.
Partial success—I found the ground was not working so I cut the wire and ran a new ground wire. The left turn signal camera now works but not right or backup camera.

The coach wires are spliced right colors to the switch box but the power is not coming through the right colors per schematic from Rear View Safety for model RVS-501N-3.

I think I can fix this by cutting and splicing wires. I am 2nd owner and I suspect someone before me did a hack job and spliced the wires color to color but maybe Thor did not match colors from new.

Any advice is appreciated. I will get this working and post back when I do.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:51 PM   #10

THOR #20468
Update——Thor Customer Service reached out to me because of this post I was impressed with that.

I got the left & right turn cams working by correcting these two wires.

1 Switch box was not grounded. I ran a new ground wire.
2 Right camera had no power in white wire per schematic. In my coach the green wire supplied the right turn power so I swapped the white and green wire to switch box. Both turn cams now work.

The back up cam still not working. The violet/blue wire has no power to the switch box (motor running in reverse). Fuse is good. Thor said this violet/blue wire goes through the Axxera for power. My Axxera is junk so may explain no power to violet/blue wire?

I tried moving the back up cam to the turn signal port but still did not work.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am glad that Thor reached out to you and things are moving forward.

Paul
Old 02-10-2021, 08:50 PM   #12

THOR #20468
Talking

Quote:
Update——Thor Customer Service reached out to me because of this post I was impressed with that.

I got the left & right turn cams working by correcting these two wires.

1 Switch box was not grounded. I ran a new ground wire.
2 Right camera had no power in white wire per schematic. In my coach the green wire supplied the right turn power so I swapped the white and green wire to switch box. Both turn cams now work.

The back up cam still not working. The violet/blue wire has no power to the switch box (motor running in reverse). Fuse is good. Thor said this violet/blue wire goes through the Axxera for power. My Axxera is junk so may explain no power to violet/blue wire?

I tried moving the back up cam to the turn signal port but still did not work.

Any advice is appreciated.
Update—The backup camera is now working. It was a defective cable from camera switch box (multiplexer) to rear of coach. Rear view Safety helped me trouble shoot the problem. I bought a new 66 foot cable from RVS. Now I need the snow to melt before I crawl under the coach and run the new cable.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I am VERY impressed with the op's work and follow through.
Very nicely done. Please become a regular here with your good skills and excellent follow up and follow through.

Last month we had a 20 year IT professional waiting two months for an appointment so the dealer could change a cable end.

Thanks for curing this for lord knows how many people to follow.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:40 PM   #14

THOR #20468
Thanks for the reply.

The Dealer promised me a new Axxera and working camera system. I always do my own repairs but was waiting for them to fulfill their promise.

I got tired of waiting. I doubt I will ever see a new Axxera so my next job is buying and installing a better 10 inch 2 din myself.

By the way this Forum has helped educate me about owning a Motor Home (my first). I have read the threads like reading a book. Many thanks to everyone that contributes.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:01 AM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Lots of nice double din units on Amazon.
An android 10 will allow you to use torque and maps and weather apps.

In my signature thread are information about my 10 inch android screen and the apps we use on it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:16 AM   #16

THOR #20468
Ha Ha.
I have read every word in your signature thread and yes I am looking at the Eonon 10 inch 2 din Android.

I looked at the Eonon on Amazon and eBay. They keep sending me emails with better deals.

I am impressed with your 6 wheel drive. Very nice modification.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #17

THOR #20468
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

The Dealer promised me a new Axxera and working camera system. I always do my own repairs but was waiting for them to fulfill their promise.

I got tired of waiting. I doubt I will ever see a new Axxera so my next job is buying and installing a better 10 inch 2 din myself.

By the way this Forum has helped educate me about owning a Motor Home (my first). I have read the threads like reading a book. Many thanks to everyone that contributes.
Update—Camping World came through and got the new Axxera for me. The unit was back ordered from Axxera.
I was ready to order an Eonon but now plan to install the Axxera myself and see how it holds up.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #18

THOR #20468
Another update.—l had nice 50 degree weather today so I crawled up under the coach and ran the new cable for the rear view camera. What I found was the existing cable (assume it was original cable) was run every where it should not have been. Through the spring shackle front and rear and over the steering box between the pitman arm.

The rear spring shackle sliced the cable clean through. I ran the new cable inside the frame rail and secured with many zip ties and far away from moving suspension and hot exhaust.

This job took about 4 hours crawling under the coach on my back and fishing the cable inside the rear wall.

Just to make the job more challenging I bought 100 zip ties from Amazon (made in China) and half of them had no teeth to zip.

Safety advice—I raised the left side of the coach with the Lippert jacks and put wood blocks under the tires and lowered the jacks and chocked the tires. This gave me enough room to crawl under the coach safely. Never get under the coach with only the Lippert jacks. That could be a deadly mistake.