Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2022, 09:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
cameras not working

we are very happy with our 2017 24.1 Vegas, although today when we went to drive out to next stop, none of the cameras were displaying. need to fix that soon, cameras are useful.
they all worked last time we were powered, moving. left, right, and backup all have worked fine, until today.
the display on radio is active, but no video from cameras.
I took cover off over the instrument panel, speedometer display, where the video connector controller is, and there are no lights on indicating it is powered. I re-seated all the connections to no avail. in search of a fuse at this time.
I am sure the cameras themselves are not the problem.

we haven't been hooked up to shore power in a long time, never run the generator.

a search on previous threads discussing this problem did not result in anything useful that I could find.
everything else is fine here in Alaska.

what to do, where to look?

Old 06-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Does the radio display switch to video but no video is displayed?

The radio is "triggered" by the video multiplexor and the Shift lever and turn signal levers trigger the multiplexor to trigger the radio and switch to the correct camera. That multiplexor needs 12 VDC to operate as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Should be an in-line fuse on the power lead to the camera switch. Check that fuse.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:24 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I had a similar experience when my Hurricane was new. It turned out to be the use/store switch in the store position.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:59 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The RCA jacks to the screen could be coming lose as well. Had that with our rear view camera.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:20 AM   #6

THOR #17346
ted&m - Does the radio display switch to video but no video is displayed?
correct: no display, but radio display switches to video.
ea37ts - I am looking for but have yet to find a camera fuse of any kind. the manuals from Thor and ford that I have do not list any fuses for camera system anywhere.
Lt Keefer - definitely not this problem.
Elite - as I stated, I checked all the connections, not the problem.

I checked the wires going into the video multiplexor in the dashboard with a multimeter.
The big clue here is none of the cameras display.

I was playing with the camera setting on the radio - pioneer avh-4200nex, and the display got stuck in backup camera mode - UGH! Nothing I tried unstuck it. A search found this -

Screen stuck in backup camera mode - hold down mute button

If you find that for some reason, the reverse image is locked, meaning it does not display anything or does not show any function, follow the steps below to fix this issue:*
* Press and hold the mute button for a couple of seconds. This will bypass the purple-white wire camera input to the radio.
* Now you can go to the menu, then “camera settings,” and turn off the backup camera. You can also switch the “Reverse Gear Setting” from ground to battery until you figure out what the problem is.
However, this is not the permanent solution. First, you have to trace back the wires from stereo to camera and look for any loose connection.*

Rvs-501n-3 video multiplexer - 50$ and manual at -

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-rvs-501n.html

Here is what I found - there are 6 wires.
Left turn signal in - yellow 12v
Right turn signal in - green 12v
Reverse signal in - blue 12v
Ground - black
That leaves 2 wires:
White - I expect this is a 12v power input, yet is never powered.
Yellow stripped - no idea

All the diagrams I could find only describe 5 wires, so no idea what the 6th is.

As I never see power on the white, I assume there may be a fuse somewhere that is blown, I am looking for it, but as I stated, can not find reference to it in the manuals I have. And, I would guess that this power in line supplies the camera with power so it displays. each source has a trigger line that tells the multiplexer which camera to power.
Furthermore, it may be that one of the cameras shorted, blowing this yet to be found fuse. yet to be determined. I will call Thor in the morning.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
ted&m - Does the radio display switch to video but no video is displayed?
correct: no display, but radio display switches to video.
ea37ts - I am looking for but have yet to find a camera fuse of any kind. the manuals from Thor and ford that I have do not list any fuses for camera system anywhere.
Lt Keefer - definitely not this problem.
Elite - as I stated, I checked all the connections, not the problem.

I checked the wires going into the video multiplexor in the dashboard with a multimeter.
The big clue here is none of the cameras display.

I was playing with the camera setting on the radio - pioneer avh-4200nex, and the display got stuck in backup camera mode - UGH! Nothing I tried unstuck it. A search found this -

Screen stuck in backup camera mode - hold down mute button

If you find that for some reason, the reverse image is locked, meaning it does not display anything or does not show any function, follow the steps below to fix this issue:*
* Press and hold the mute button for a couple of seconds. This will bypass the purple-white wire camera input to the radio.
* Now you can go to the menu, then “camera settings,” and turn off the backup camera. You can also switch the “Reverse Gear Setting” from ground to battery until you figure out what the problem is.
However, this is not the permanent solution. First, you have to trace back the wires from stereo to camera and look for any loose connection.*

Rvs-501n-3 video multiplexer - 50$ and manual at -

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-rvs-501n.html

Here is what I found - there are 6 wires.
Left turn signal in - yellow 12v
Right turn signal in - green 12v
Reverse signal in - blue 12v
Ground - black
That leaves 2 wires:
White - I expect this is a 12v power input, yet is never powered.
Yellow stripped - no idea

All the diagrams I could find only describe 5 wires, so no idea what the 6th is.

As I never see power on the white, I assume there may be a fuse somewhere that is blown, I am looking for it, but as I stated, can not find reference to it in the manuals I have. And, I would guess that this power in line supplies the camera with power so it displays. each source has a trigger line that tells the multiplexer which camera to power.
Furthermore, it may be that one of the cameras shorted, blowing this yet to be found fuse. yet to be determined. I will call Thor in the morning.
In-line fuse on the power wire itself. Won’t be listed in any document except the switch installation instructions
Old 07-01-2022, 02:27 AM   #8

THOR #17346
I called Thor, they are great, the best when it comes to customer support. Quick pick up, talk to someone who knows, don’t have to be call transferred,…
I described what was happening, what I found, and they confirmed my analysis, agreed it is a lack of power input. The schematic they have did not color match my wiring, but that is not too important. They do show a fuse on the power input line. My wiring feeds into a harness and wire bundle, no apparent fuse. all documentation I find shows fuse on power line.
What’s next - look harder for a fuse; supply 12v to the input line and see what happens…

Note: I also called RVS they were of no help.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
I called Thor, they are great, the best when it comes to customer support. Quick pick up, talk to someone who knows, don’t have to be call transferred,…
I described what was happening, what I found, and they confirmed my analysis, agreed it is a lack of power input. The schematic they have did not color match my wiring, but that is not too important. They do show a fuse on the power input line. My wiring feeds into a harness and wire bundle, no apparent fuse. all documentation I find shows fuse on power line.
What’s next - look harder for a fuse; supply 12v to the input line and see what happens…

Note: I also called RVS they were of no help.
Do that with a temporary jumper to see if that really resolves your problem before adding a permanent supply line with known fuse location.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:15 AM   #10

THOR #17346
thanks T&M, that WAS the plan, but... I got the cameras working, oh JOY!
it was a tedious, long effort, not a pretty sight, but, I can see again!
if anyone cares to hear the gory details, keep reading.

"shortened" version - I traced the line to the firewall, continuity all the way, no in line fuse. the line went in above the fuse box located in the drivers area, near the brake pedal. a review of the many fuses there did not list any camera fuses. yet, this fuse box has many unused fuses and items not pertinent to my rv application. all fuses are installed in this fuse box, even unused and items not in this rv, like power windows, power seats, etc. so, I decided to take all the unrelated unused fuses out, with hopes of finding one of these blown, as being used for camera. also, I disconnected the chassis battery. yet disconnecting the battery did not cut power to the radio, nor anything else! UGH! I long ago previously verified the power is cut when the disconnect is engaged. and, there is always a .5v draw on the line to video multiplexer. staying focused on camera problem, after pulling MANY fuses with none blown, I tried starting the engine to verify everything still worked after pulling all those fuses, and puff, the system went dead!? then I remembered I had cut the battery disconnect, feeling relief, and re-connected the chassis battery. yippie, everything still worked - including the camera!!!
what does that mean??? what I think is that some relay was "stuck" and by adequately removing power, it reset? as when I start the engine with no battery, a distinct click occurs in the engine compartment. it is not the starter solenoid that I hear click.
as for the BIM - I changed it after converting to lithium coach batteries, and wonder if this may have been what was powering the system in spite of the disconnect. the old BIM destroyed the chassis battery, and once I figured that out, changed the chassis battery and the BIM to a lithium BIM. a very important thing to change when changing to lithium.
MAYBE it was the BIM that was providing the power to system from coach batteries? Maybe after I attempted to start the engine with the chassis battery disconnected it reset, clearing some relay, and thus restored operation to the camera. I DONT REALLY KNOW! this effort was spread out over about 3 days, while we were hiking and other things. these are the significant points of this effort. I did learn more, good for me. like the radio settings for the camera, yadda yadda yadda...
as we are full timing it and in Alaska for this season, I put everything back together and moved on to our next adventure. it is nice here in Alaska, if you are in the area, lets get together!

happy trails.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:38 AM   #11

State: Iowa
THOR #8020
Cameras not working

We had same problem. Turned out the plug for video on the back of the display had fallen out. Stupid camping world said it was the camera and replaced it at great expense and didn’t fix the problem. Local dealer found the problem just needed to plug the plug back in.