Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 11:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #17909
Extended warranties

I am looking to make a decision about an extended warranty policy within a month. I’ve gotten two competitive quotes but am looking for feedback and opinions from the Thor community family. Good Sam ESP and Eagle Vision RV both have similar policies albeit Eagle Vision is a bit higher priced and I’ve never heard about it before. Eagle Vision has many Adonis but they all come with hefty price tags. Good Sam, on the other hand, has been around for many years. If there are others, I would love to know about them. Anyone have feedback, opinions?
Just a little background; I’m a retired woman, sort of handy at fixing some things, not afraid to try with advice and direction, but there are some things that would be too difficult or costly to repair. I would appreciate hearing from those of you that have an extended warranty, who it’s through, and any other info that you can provide.
I can’t wait for COVID to be over and we can get back to semi normal again. Vaccine next week!!

Old 01-28-2021, 12:04 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If $5,000 is available at a moments notice, dont buy the warranty.
If $5,000 is precious, buy the warranty.

An engine is $15,000
A warranty is $5,000

That's a 3:1 bet on something that seldom happens.

An extended warranty is only a potential loan to yourself. It is NOTHING else.

If you don't need to make monthly payments on a potential loan to yourself...dont buy the warranty.

I think ours is the eagle warranty. It came free with our rv.
It is for 7/70,000(?) And has the tire option.
The moment the original owner transferred it to us I could have cancelled it for a $7,000 refund to me.
We did not.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:16 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Your question has been asked many times on a lot of forums and IIRC the gen. consensus was to save your $$$ for a maybe emerg. Some mentioned that the small print deletions is what to look out for. YMMV.
You can do a search on this forum and see how it goes and may help with your decision.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I buy the extended warranties for peace of mind...
There's so many expensive components in these things. I 'd literally not be able to sleep; if I didn't have coverage on them.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:11 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
We just paid the $135 from the appliance company to extend those for 5 yrs. Heater, water heater, stove, fridge, AC.
Too many fine print details on the extended warranties. Camping World even tried to get me to transfer my “camper” warranty to our Coach. Look at the fine print “ doesn’t cover motorized RV’s”. Way at the bottom in very small print. Nice try losers, I’ll take the refund. [emoji23]
Old 01-28-2021, 01:13 AM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I wouldn't be pressured into buying it at the time of the rv purchase, it's warrantied bumper to bumper for at least the 1st year so essentially you'll waste a year's worth of the extended warranty. Also the dealer gets a good chunk of your $$ if you buy then, wait a year then shop for the best price with the best coverage you want not what the dealer is pushing. The chassis, probably Ford, has the typical vehicle warranty, most likely 3 years 36k miles.
Most of those warranties the excluded list of covered items is much longer than the included list + most require routine annual maintenance by an "authorized facility or agent" or warranty is void.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
1st question; New coach or used? 2nd question; if used how old? 3rd question; Are you handy enough to replace a hot water heater element, the step motor, automatic transfer switch, you get the point. There are many things I used to be capable of doing, but now I am physically uncapable of as I have aged. As Bob pointed out how much is peace of mind worth? We bought a warranty on our used 2108 ACE. 1st month we had the coach a step motor failed and the awning motor as well. Could I have fixed them, yes. Glad I didn't have to with a heart condition. As with all things in life there are pros and cons to a warranty. We can give advice only you can decide what is best for you. Safe Travels
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I wouldn't be pressured into buying it at the time of the rv purchase, it's warrantied bumper to bumper for at least the 1st year so essentially you'll waste a year's worth of the extended warranty. Also the dealer gets a good chunk of your $$ if you buy then, wait a year then shop for the best price with the best coverage you want not what the dealer is pushing. The chassis, probably Ford, has the typical vehicle warranty, most likely 3 years 36k miles.
Most of those warranties the excluded list of covered items is much longer than the included list + most require routine annual maintenance by an "authorized facility or agent" or warranty is void.
Some really good advice here.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:50 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I bought the 60month extended warranty with mine, and right now its at lazy day rv in elkhart indiana so far they have replaced the bird, one leveling leg, the rooftop satellite dish, adjusted the bedroom slide out, replaced the condensor on the engine a/c, replaced the motorized front night shade, and the whole rt mirror because the camera quit working and so it only cost me the 100.00 deductable so I think for me it was a wise choice even though everything I could have fixed myself, still parts alone I think I did ok.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:18 AM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Warranties are just a way to hedge against risk. Similar to car insurance. I have been driving for 30 years and never been in an accident so it’s been a waste of money. The warranty is the same, we bought one and haven’t had to use it so it’s been a waste of money and I will take it. It’s all about the cost and if you can get it at a decent price they can be good. It’s all about your piece of mind.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:10 AM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Warranties are just a way to hedge against risk. Similar to car insurance. I have been driving for 30 years and never been in an accident so it’s been a waste of money. The warranty is the same, we bought one and haven’t had to use it so it’s been a waste of money and I will take it. It’s all about the cost and if you can get it at a decent price they can be good. It’s all about your piece of mind.
The difference is insurance is required, extended warranty is optional.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
It’s all about your piece of mind.
I would not normally have purchased the additional warrantee but my wife was very concerned so I forked over the money. When it comes to the wife...

...it's all about the peace of mine.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
I would not normally have purchased the additional warrantee but my wife was very concerned so I forked over the money. When it comes to the wife...

...it's all about the peace of mine.

That’s me exactly! Had a $1400 slide repair out of pocket on the last coach and when we bought again DW insisted on coverage. Happy wife.....
Old 01-30-2021, 02:19 AM   #14

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
The difference is insurance is required, extended warranty is optional.
Well yea insurance is required but they are both serving the same purpose. Not saying they are equal but if the price is right a warranty can be good piece of mind.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:56 AM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Well yea insurance is required but they are both serving the same purpose. Not saying they are equal but if the price is right a warranty can be good piece of mind.

Agree. It’s a total waste of money - until it isn’t. My slide repair cost $1400. Had a $1200 refrigerator fail on my new coach (which in my case was replaced by Norcold because it was new) and I spent $800 on a self installed AC. These items aren’t cheap and generally are not owner serviceable. Generators and leveling systems can be just as bad. Add in a second slide or AC repair and maybe a TV or a water heater and I can see how it could come in handy over 5-6 years. My warranty was $4000 for 7 years and while I wouldn’t have bought it if DW hadn’t insisted I don’t fault anyone who chooses to do so.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:47 AM   #16

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Agree. It’s a total waste of money - until it isn’t. My slide repair cost $1400. Had a $1200 refrigerator fail on my new coach (which in my case was replaced by Norcold because it was new) and I spent $800 on a self installed AC. These items aren’t cheap and generally are not owner serviceable. Generators and leveling systems can be just as bad. Add in a second slide or AC repair and maybe a TV or a water heater and I can see how it could come in handy over 5-6 years. My warranty was $4000 for 7 years and while I wouldn’t have bought it if DW hadn’t insisted I don’t fault anyone who chooses to do so.
My wife was more comfortable with us getting it so we did, we only have a few more years and have only had to use it once for a slide. Hopefully things stay this good and we wasted some money. I am okay with it because the piece of mind helps.