Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Can Shore Power and Generator be used at same time

Technical HELP.

We will be “Drive-way Camping” in Georgia this weekend. My brother in law is providing 110 service (no AC use, I know) to the RV.

My question is, do you have to disconnect from Shore Power to run the generator? It is raining right now which means muggy this evening so I am sure the AC will be requested.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
On RVs I have owned the transfer switch gives priority to the genset and will disconnect shore power when genset is running! So whether you physically disconnect the shore power, i.e. unplug it, or not the transfer switch will electrically disconnect shore power and use genset power for the RV.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Technical HELP.

We will be “Drive-way Camping” in Georgia this weekend. My brother in law is providing 110 service (no AC use, I know) to the RV.

...cut....
My 2 cents...

I would not necessarily assume you can't run the air conditioner, at least some of the time when you are not running other high-current loads like a coffee maker. It depends on many factors, but you may be surprised. I ran mine at home off a dedicated 20-Amp circuit while loading and unloading and never tripped the breaker.

It will depend on whether you will plug into 20-Amp or 15-Amp circuit at his house. It will also "greatly" depend on what else he has running on that circuit.

Additionally, it will depend on your AC model/size (13,500 vs 15,000 BTU/hr) and whether it's high efficiency or not. You likely have 15,000 BTU/hr standard AC -- seems popular option. Many will pull less than 15-Amps, particularly at night when the ambient (outside) temperature is lower. And unlike what many think, it will pull less current the colder you have the inside temperature.

If you can plug into a circuit that isn't being used much, particularly if it's 20-Amps, I'd try it. Obviously I wouldn't run the water heater (or fridge???) on electric, and if using hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave, etc... for a few minutes I'd turn off the air conditioner.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The plug I plug my Axis into when its home is on the same circuit as a refrigerator (in the garage) and the bathrooms--they are all on the same GFI.

I frequently will run the A/C on it without issue. When its really hot out I have to unplug the refrigerator as the 15A circuit can't run both compressors at the same time. (Also if the wife uses a hair dryer in a bathroom the breaker will trip.)

(Keep kicking myself that I didn't get a proper 30A plug put in when I had the electrician there wiring up the 240V/50A plug for the EV.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

THOR #2142
Made it to Atlanta. Awaiting my brother in law to verify shore power. Still unsure of what would happen if I turn on the generator while on shore power. doc

Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Make sure the extension cord is rated for the current you plan to draw. If you use your shore cord with an adapter you should be fine but if you use an extension cord, most are not rated for the 15 or 20 amps you require. Even if the breaker doesn't trip, a cord too small can cause damage to the AC unit or even start a fire.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
I have done it a few times and ran the AC with out a problem, then turn gen off and everything went back to 110 volt shore power... just about the only thing would happen it didn't work right is you might blow a breaker for the 110 volt shore
Old 04-23-2016, 02:21 AM   #8

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
DON'T DO IT!
By having both the shore power and gennie running, it creates a hell of a confusing mess to the transfer switch... ours eventually shorted out and caused a voltage/amperes spike... ended up having to replace all electronic's in coach ie: 2 tv's & booster for the antennae , microwave,power inverter,phone charger and one laptop.. spendy lesson
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #9

THOR #2121
This should help explain how a system that is properly wired should work:

Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 4 - Transfer Switches
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Thanks for the info and the reference.
DocMike

Old 04-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Doc,

Not sure if the Axis/Vegas uses the Furrion ATS or if you have the manual but here it is if needed and/or helpful.

Furrion_Automatic_Transfer_Switch[1].pdf
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

THOR #2142
Well, I keep tripping the ground fault interrupt on the shore power plugin. Thanks again for all the earlier info.

DocMike

Old 04-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Doc -- sounds like too much draw. Was the house circuit a 20 amp or 15 amp?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Well, I keep tripping the ground fault interrupt on the shore power plugin. Thanks again for all the earlier info.

DocMike
That's a common problem with many RVs when plugged to GFI outlets regardless of the load. It has to do with RV grounding. It is not over current that causes the problem.

If you can plug into a different outlet that doesn't have GFI protection, it will likely work just fine.

I have the same problem at home off my front porch. GFI trips every time without turning anything on. From other outlets it all works fine.

If you do an internet search you'll find this is a very common problem because home grounding and RV grounding may not be the same and it doesn't take much to trip a GFI.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #15

THOR #2142
15 amp. Will regroup and check the setup at home on power line with no ground fault on a 20 amp breaker.

DocMike

Old 04-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #16

Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
State: Colorado
THOR #3604
Most homes built in the last 20 years or so, will have a non GFI outlet in the garage somewhere for the sprinkler control.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:04 AM   #17

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
DocMike
I have had to replace most of the GFIs in my 10 year old house. That simple step might be worth a try, especially if that GFI has been tripped several times.