Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #17462
Can you help me find my Converter Charge Line and Breaker?

Here are relevant pictures. I'm figuring things out as I go but this one left me miffed

Old 05-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Everything is laid-out as in the illustration. The charger circuit breaker is the black square on the left of the picture and the relays are under the heavy gauge 12 volt cable. I would guess the charger is the box at the right front.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau388 View Post
everything is laid-out as in the illustration. The charger circuit breaker is the black square on the left of the picture and the relays are under the heavy gauge 12 volt cable. I would guess the charger is the box at the right front.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	23864
Old 05-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Everything is laid-out as in the illustration. The charger circuit breaker is the black square on the left of the picture and the relays are under the heavy gauge 12 volt cable. I would guess the charger is the box at the right front.
Not all is so simple sorry to say.
The 'black square' is a high current relay. A simple online check shows the Hella 4RD Series, the -08 is discontinued from what I could find.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #5

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
The 'black square' is a high current relay. A simple online check shows the Hella 4RD Series, the -08 is discontinued from what I could find.
Find the 40 amp breaker and follow the wire to the converter. Look under the fuses.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #6

THOR #16471
The fuse diagram given does not even match the number of fuses. It lists 17 fuses but only 16 are visible and in no way does the layout match the diagram. So I too suggest removing the cover plate carefully and follow the circuits. It already looks like some mods were performed.
Oh, BTW NateHTP, you never did 'report back' on the situation you had with yer LP gas detector problem.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #7

THOR #15553
Quote:
The fuse diagram given does not even match the number of fuses. It lists 17 fuses but only 16 are visible and in no way does the layout match the diagram. So I too suggest removing the cover plate carefully and follow the circuits. It already looks like some mods were performed.
Oh, BTW NateHTP, you never did 'report back' on the situation you had with yer LP gas detector problem.
You expect the layout to match the diagram in the RV world???
Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Especially after several previous owners and a few on the road repairs.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #9

THOR #17462
Quote:
Find the 40 amp breaker and follow the wire to the converter. Look under the fuses.
Quote:
Thank you both this is what I will do, and admittedly am not excited about doing, but I will pull that fuse block and then see what I find under it. Basically the whole front of my RV is not getting the 13.3v put out by my converter, only places getting 13.3 are at the converter itself and the fuse block under my bed. So I HAS to be that I blew this thing, right? Gotta find it...
Old 05-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #10

THOR #17462
Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say I haven't solved this one yet. My plan is to simply run a 100% new wire to this location from a 100% new fuse box I will install myself. Seems easier and simpler than trying to trace 25+ year wiring that is possibly damaged, etc. This is my approach to all wiring on the RV - disconnect old wiring and run new stuff for essential components.

By the way, thanks for asking and remembering me
Old 05-25-2020, 01:29 AM   #11

THOR #17462
Quote:
I knew this was a relay just from the looks of it, and was going to say as much but thank you for doing it for me!
Old 05-25-2020, 01:29 AM   #12

THOR #17462
Quote:
I'm learning this as I go. I literally need to draw my own diagrams as I fix things it's wild.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #13

THOR #17462

Old 05-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #14

THOR #17462
I really don't think the 40am breaker is in here, guys...

From what I can tell I have two sets of fuses, one that is hot 24/7 and one that is hot based on that relay which I had to rip out and will have to replace and rewire.

Sigh.

Get this - for about 5 minutes this morning I DID have 13.3 coming from my new converter to my batteries (I have voltmeter right by my desk).

History:
- Installed new converter.
- Had 13.3 for months.
- Recently lost it, now sits at 12.8. Been using my TV/computer for 2 weeks now I guess just on house battery power. I assume it's because I popped the breaker that supplies 13.3 from rear of coach. I have 13.3 at converter and at under-bed 12v fuse panel.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #15

THOR #17462
This is quickly outpacing my ability to easily troubleshoot. I've torn up the covers for wiring going from back of RV to front in the bedroom and by the drivers seat try to identify where the 13.3 runs forward.

I don't really know what to do except literally trace every single wire and make labels.

Is there any way or clue to know which one might be the 13.3 charge cable?

Bedroom:

Drivers seat:
Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #16

THOR #17462
I tried to trace the big black wire by drivers seat back because I figured, given it's size, it's likely the charge cable coming forward from converter. When I got back to wiring harness around the charge controller and under-bed 110v / 12v fuse blocks, I lost it. I just couldn't figure out how 13.3 was heading to front of couch, as it was clearly heading into the 12v fuse panel under the bed... but where was it going from there?

So I took apart the back panel and began to inspect things, when... I found a melting part of the back of the 110 section of breakers...

I immediately disconnected shore power. Went back to disassemble.

It was warm to the touch (the plastic). Oh, shit...

Old 05-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #17

THOR #17462
Next steps:

1) Go to Lowes and buy everything needed to replace all components of this 110v box. Install it.
2) Turn it back on and see what happens.

Maybe I wasn't getting 13.3 because the charge controller couldn't get enough 110 to push it up to the front?

added info - all 110 appliances were working as far as I know
Old 05-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #18

THOR #16471
Wow! "Good" catch, finding that. Now why would the neutral bus be overheating like that?
- I tried to discern what size of incoming wire you have, the one to the 30amp breaker, and it should be min. of #10AWG.
- You could get away with just replacing the neutral bus bar and reconnecting all the wires you cut off.
This is a good example why electrical connections in a MH need to be inspected, some say on an annual basis.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:32 PM   #19

THOR #15553
Melted wiring is the direct result of loose connections.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #20

THOR #16471
Back to the DC fuse problem

Oh, understood about the loose connection, but so many wires had melted. Usually the loose one will melt and the bus bar has enough mass to dissipate the heat, not melting more wiring, that is unless this was really hot.

Looking back to the original OP question, I would almost suspect the blue wire would be from the converter, if in fact you originally had a 40 amp breaker in the box. The breaker appears to have been removed and the wires to it were spliced together and taped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40amp fuse.png
Views:	55
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	23914