Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2023, 05:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Rize 18M
State: California
THOR #28965
"Carefree" awning issue(s)

The last few times, when I start to drive and hit the first pothole, an interesting noise could be heard. Not sure how to describe it, but it sounds like a swishing back and forth, similar to how windshield wipers used to sound about 50 years ago. It goes maybe 5 times back and forth, so 5x2 swishes. Could be 7, need to count.

I think I have narrowed it down to the awning getting triggered by the initial shake, where the wind sensor thinks it is open and needs to be retracted, and then the motor going back and forth a few times. I really need to adjust the mirror to be able to observe it, but you know how it is, taking the van out is always exciting and one forgets.

I did notice that the gap is just a tad larger in the back vs the front, so I suppose it may be a tiny bit out of sync and therefore causing the misfire. Has anyone else here come across something like this and perhaps found a solution? I want to keep my calls for help to Thor to a minimum so they don't put me on their block list.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
There should be an interlock so when parked start the engine and see if you can open / close the awning. If you can't, I doubt it is the wind sensor since the intrerlock cuts all power to the awning.... unless there is a wiring issue inside the coach.

You may want to extend it and check the mounts to the coach. A few people, including myself, have found loose or broken bolts at the mount. The noise you hear might be the awning housing moving around if it is not tightly mounted.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:21 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #28906
Not sure if it’s a wind sensor issue, but, even though it shouldn’t happen, I’ve seen several reports on various fb sites/forums about Scope/Rize awnings deploying *completely* while driving, getting all twisted and causing damage to the side of the vehicle. Some folks that don’t want problems and are waiting for a real fix seem to prevent this by just pulling the awning fuse while driving. Wonder if the intermittent out/in is a precursor to bigger problems……
Old 02-24-2023, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Dometic had a recall on awnings a number of years ago because they could extend while driving. The problem was the installation instructions were wrong causing them to be mis-wired. Mine extended at 55 mph on I 95 in Chester Virginia. Not an enjoyable moment.

As a note, that was a Forest River rig and not Thor.

Is your awning Dometic or Carefree?
Old 02-24-2023, 04:00 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
CareFree of Colorado patio awnings do not have wind seniors but movement sensors. You can easily check if it is active when the ignition is active. With the awning partially out and the ignition on, hit the motor end cap fairly hard with a broom handle or some other device, three times in rapid succession and it should retract if it is powered.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:08 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by RizeMaster View Post
The last few times, when I start to drive and hit the first pothole, an interesting noise could be heard. Not sure how to describe it, but it sounds like a swishing back and forth, similar to how windshield wipers used to sound about 50 years ago. It goes maybe 5 times back and forth, so 5x2 swishes. Could be 7, need to count.

I think I have narrowed it down to the awning getting triggered by the initial shake, where the wind sensor thinks it is open and needs to be retracted, and then the motor going back and forth a few times. I really need to adjust the mirror to be able to observe it, but you know how it is, taking the van out is always exciting and one forgets.

I did notice that the gap is just a tad larger in the back vs the front, so I suppose it may be a tiny bit out of sync and therefore causing the misfire. Has anyone else here come across something like this and perhaps found a solution? I want to keep my calls for help to Thor to a minimum so they don't put me on their block list.
You are OK with thor. 50 calls and 50 emails no issue
Old 02-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #7

THOR #28965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
There should be an interlock so when parked start the engine and see if you can open / close the awning. If you can't, I doubt it is the wind sensor since the intrerlock cuts all power to the awning.... unless there is a wiring issue inside the coach.

You may want to extend it and check the mounts to the coach. A few people, including myself, have found loose or broken bolts at the mount. The noise you hear might be the awning housing moving around if it is not tightly mounted.

Ha, I did find some lose bolts, but I tightened them a while ago, a long time before this started to happen. I will test the interlock as you suggest - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusblue View Post
Not sure if it’s a wind sensor issue, but, even though it shouldn’t happen, I’ve seen several reports on various fb sites/forums about Scope/Rize awnings deploying *completely* while driving, getting all twisted and causing damage to the side of the vehicle. Some folks that don’t want problems and are waiting for a real fix seem to prevent this by just pulling the awning fuse while driving. Wonder if the intermittent out/in is a precursor to bigger problems……

Scary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Dometic had a recall on awnings a number of years ago because they could extend while driving. The problem was the installation instructions were wrong causing them to be mis-wired. Mine extended at 55 mph on I 95 in Chester Virginia. Not an enjoyable moment.

As a note, that was a Forest River rig and not Thor.

Is your awning Dometic or Carefree?

Carefree, Apex I believe, not totally sure, I'll look up the model when I am up there next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
CareFree of Colorado patio awnings do not have wind seniors but movement sensors. You can easily check if it is active when the ignition is active. With the awning partially out and the ignition on, hit the motor end cap fairly hard with a broom handle or some other device, three times in rapid succession and it should retract if it is powered.

Good point, yes I will test that, thank you!
Old 02-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #8

THOR #28965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
You are OK with thor. 50 calls and 50 emails no issue
Thank you for putting my mind at ease.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #28906
Just saw this on another site - There’s a safety recall issued 2/10/23 for the Carefree awnings for 22/23 vehicles. Thor to coordinate w/ dealerships as soon as they figure out the cause/fix. I’d pull the fuse whilst driving until it gets taken care of.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:23 PM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #28998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusblue View Post
Just saw this on another site - There’s a safety recall issued 2/10/23 for the Carefree awnings for 22/23 vehicles. Thor to coordinate w/ dealerships as soon as they figure out the cause/fix. I’d pull the fuse whilst driving until it gets taken care of.

Yes, we have been discussing this issue on our Facebook page. So far it’s certain models. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	41015
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	41016
Here’s some info.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:38 AM   #11

THOR #28965
Thank you very much BeachLady and Siriusblue.
This is good to know and perhaps is related to what I am experiencing. Scary for sure, even though mine does not seem to fully extend.

Unfortunately (or not) it says production Jan 04, 2022, and I purchased my Rize on Dec 31, 2021, gently used for about 6 months. So it was originally purchased mid 2021, but they still call it a '22 for some reason.

In any case, next time I go for a ride I will adjust the mirror to see if it physically extends. And then also do the run engine - shake the motion sensor exercise.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:16 PM   #12

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Known Issue

Had mine fixed twice. The arms need adjusted or when you hit high winds or large bumps the arms can come out. I also lost a hydraulic strut too.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:20 PM   #13

THOR #28965
Thank you... We may have different models. I don't think my Carefree has hydraulic struts. Maybe hidden somewhere.
I did the shake test as suggested by Beau, with the engine running it did retract. But not extend out. I think maybe this is how it is supposed to be, so that if you forget to retract it completely it will do so even after the engine was started.
Most likely I will drive around the coming weekend, and see if the noise I hear correlates with actual movements of the awning.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:19 AM   #14

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
2022 Magnitude RB34

This is my carefree awning, see photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	29DA1827-DA53-4859-8357-EC092CD45815.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	41089   Click image for larger version

Name:	51906392-0209-4D28-AA59-EE5AB63FE16A.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	41090  

Name:	7C3D5E8D-0E04-4F1F-9557-BE66DE7DC24D.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	641.8 KB
ID:	41091  
Old 03-02-2023, 03:45 AM   #15

Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #11568
Carefree awning issue(s)

I had heard this noise before on my Aria 3901. I assumed it was the main awning. It usually occurred in very windy conditions. I traced it down to the slide covers being lifted by the wind
Old 03-05-2023, 10:13 AM   #16

State: New York
THOR #18343
I know this is probably a different issue? On a recent trip to Tennessee stopping in Pigion Forge, I noticed the awning was wrapped kinda loose. Upon taking a closer look it appeared the the front support extension was sticking out an inch or so while the back was tight against the MC!
I rolled it all the way out and then back and both front and back were tight against the MC.
Figuring it was cause by the vibrations created by the sometimes bumpy roads, I have decided I’m going to install two Velcro straps on both ends to keep it secure…

Just saying stupid things happen, don’t need to end up on the side of the interstate in a Laurel & Hardy situation!!
Old 03-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
I know this is probably a different issue? On a recent trip to Tennessee stopping in Pigion Forge, I noticed the awning was wrapped kinda loose. Upon taking a closer look it appeared the the front support extension was sticking out an inch or so while the back was tight against the MC!
I rolled it all the way out and then back and both front and back were tight against the MC.
Figuring it was cause by the vibrations created by the sometimes bumpy roads, I have decided I’m going to install two Velcro straps on both ends to keep it secure…

Just saying stupid things happen, don’t need to end up on the side of the interstate in a Laurel & Hardy situation!!
What are you strapping the awning to with the Velcro straps? Picture?
Old 03-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #18

State: New York
THOR #18343
No pictures, haven’t done it yet!

Going to loosen screws slide Velcro strap behind it, seal the screws and retighten! Velcro strap will wrap around frame holding it tight against the motor home. That’s my plan anyway…

I actually got the idea from a prowler trailer that had them, which we had a few years ago!
Old 03-12-2023, 06:41 PM   #19

THOR #28965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
I had heard this noise before on my Aria 3901. I assumed it was the main awning. It usually occurred in very windy conditions. I traced it down to the slide covers being lifted by the wind

Nope, completely different.

I FINALLY got to take the camper for a spin. With the passenger mirror adjusted, sure enough - the noise started, and I could see the awning extend out and back a couple of inches. Four times, then a 3 second break, and another series of 4 tried, then it retracted and calmed down.

Somehow, there must be a sensor sensing that it is not completely retracted, and do that little back and forth dance. I'll need to do more research, and maybe try contacting Thor/Carefree to see if there is something that needs to be adjusted.

For the time being, pulling a fuse (if there is a separate one for the awning) would remedy the issue. Better than risking that it extends completely while driving.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:26 PM   #20

THOR #28965
Carefree awning - self destructed

Today, I was trying to get the serial number for some more trouble-shooting, so I extended it out for about a foot and got the numbers.

When I retracted it, it SHOT OUT all the way like a projectile, and now does not retract anymore. I guess the motor gears stripped.

Just a very crappy manufacturing/materials. I am past the 1 year warranty too, so for the handful of times I used it I am not sure if it is worth to put a lot of money into it, or just duct-tape it shut (or remove it altogether).

I did call Carefree and they guessed the "one-way motor" broke and maybe it needed some updates too, and to go ahead and make an appointment with a service center.