Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22-B
State: Florida
THOR #8886
Angry Carpenter Ants

We have a 10 month old Thor Chateau 22B. Camped two weeks ago at a Florida State Park that shall remain unnamed. Came back from visiting at about 10:00 pm and found a number of carpenter ants on the interior walls. Inspected the outside with a flashlight and found hundred of them headed up the power cord from the ground into the cord box. Borrowed a can of bug killer from a neighbor and doused them pretty well, including inside the box. Also sprayed the entire cord. Next night they were back, just not on the cord -- apparently enough got in to start setting up housekeeping. Have been battling them for two weeks now. Totally emptied the rig, set out ant bait, essential oils -- sealed everything I can find to seal. Went in after dark tonight (moved from our regular storage pad to our driveway for another thorough cleaning) and killed another 25 on the walls (all of the walls). Called and left a message for the company that treats our home to see if they do RVs... Anyone else ever have this kind of issue? How'd you beat it? We have a multi-week trip coming up the first week of June and I need to get this solved!

Paul G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I fog the inside of the RV with bug bombs every 3 months. I spray the lower compartments and lower interior with odorless bug killer. I did this today. In morning, I will turn on vents and open windows ahead of spring cleaning. This approach has worked fine in Florida swamps.

Rarely do we find bugs in RV.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #3

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
borax soap kills ants
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #4

THOR #8886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I fog the inside of the RV with bug bombs every 3 months.
I emailed with the folks who make Raid products. They said to NOT use a bomb (fogger) in an RV. Didn't say why, though...
Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Had them in our home a few years ago and never really did get rid of them. The little ones are pretty easy to knock off but those guys are tough. I think calling in the pros is the best option. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:11 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
I emailed with the folks who make Raid products. They said to NOT use a bomb (fogger) in an RV. Didn't say why, though...
I would guess possibly they would be concerned if there was an open flame. The bug bombs always set CO2 monitor off. I use the Hot Shot type and only with unit plugged in and everything inactive. Today is probably the 8th or 9th time I have done it.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I had them in the horse barn in the feed room. Vet told me to not use poisons but to spread out some grits. Yes grits. The ants eat the grits, they swell up and literally explode. It actually worked. With in two weeks they were gone. Apparently they take the grits back to the nest and all feast on them.

I have heard Borax also as captmetal stated.

Hope you find the solution quickly. Those things can spread fast.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #8

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
i also use windex, kills them dead NOW and they won't walk over a area sprayed with it
Old 05-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Grits, huh? SO...that's my problem....I've swollen up...I guess I'm fixin' to explode!! If you go to a DIY pest control place, they have these tubes of gel that you can squeeze a bead around things like the cord, etc. Borax powder sprinkled around tires and anything else that touches ground will prevent them from coming in. Windex does work on the ones already there.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If Grits don't work for you:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1526040046
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flamethowing.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	10183  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #11

THOR #1249
Age old problem with RV's having ants climbing up the power cord. Some say electrical cords are an aphrodisiac for ants..........not confirmed. A dose of petroleum jelly on the cord above ground level seems to stop them.

If you are in an area that has ant problems(most places in FL), you may want to spray around your tires also. I keep a hand spray bottle of insecticide handy to keep them where they belong.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #12

THOR #8886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Bob -- I think you've finally posted me to the perfect solution!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #13

THOR #8886
Update

Called in the pros today. Our house guy also does RVs (a frequent need in FL) -- sprayed inside and out. Three month guarantee. We shall see...
Old 05-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck!
Here's to hoping that the bugs no longer bug you!
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1526073653
Attached Images

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
Have always used the petroleum jelly on the cords and comet around the Jack's and tires. Works good in South Carolina on the red fire ants. Ejk
Old 05-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #16

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Besides high concentration is small area, propellant is usually propane. (poor man's Denman solution)
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:47 AM   #17

THOR #6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Besides high concentration is small area, propellant is usually propane. (poor man's Denman solution)
Boric acid mixed with honey put in caps and placed near concentrations. Takes about 2 weeks. Works great on carpenter ants.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #18

THOR #10718
Quote:
We have a 10 month old Thor Chateau 22B. Camped two weeks ago at a Florida State Park that shall remain unnamed. Came back from visiting at about 10:00 pm and found a number of carpenter ants on the interior walls. Inspected the outside with a flashlight and found hundred of them headed up the power cord from the ground into the cord box. Borrowed a can of bug killer from a neighbor and doused them pretty well, including inside the box. Also sprayed the entire cord. Next night they were back, just not on the cord -- apparently enough got in to start setting up housekeeping. Have been battling them for two weeks now. Totally emptied the rig, set out ant bait, essential oils -- sealed everything I can find to seal. Went in after dark tonight (moved from our regular storage pad to our driveway for another thorough cleaning) and killed another 25 on the walls (all of the walls). Called and left a message for the company that treats our home to see if they do RVs... Anyone else ever have this kind of issue? How'd you beat it? We have a multi-week trip coming up the first week of June and I need to get this solved!
Are you certain these are carpenter ants? They sound like white footed ants, a really annoying pest. You can spray water on them asnd they die. Onv e they get settl ed theey breed like crazy because the colony doesn't just have one queen but hundtefs . When these ants sense danger they send out a signal and queens start laying thousands of eggs. The only way to get rid of them is to bait them. Don't smash or spray them. The bait must bve taken to the colony and kill the colony. Read abojt these critters on line. It mnay take months to get rid of them.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Ants and Comet/Ajax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edk View Post
Have always used the petroleum jelly on the cords and comet around the Jack's and tires. Works good in South Carolina on the red fire ants. Ejk
We use comet and/or ajax cleanser to repel ants - sprinkle some around tires or any other place where ants can enter the rv. We have also used it in the house - just find point of entry and sprinkle they won't cross it. Safer than "bug bombing." I do not like pesticides due to the carcinogenic risk.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #20

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we've had 'sugar' ants several times, and they can just be downright absolutely annoying!! once you see one, like mice, you've only seen the tip of the iceberg. They are there, and in numbers, and don't go away easily. I suppose they've found the source of their desires, food, especially anything 'sweet'.
It tooks us weeks to get rid of them. I'd like to 'blame' the place we stayed, but the truth is that you are susceptible anywhere you 'camp', honestly.

We took on mice one time, too, or several times to be truthful. You never see them coming, and they don't leave too many 'tell tell' signs until it's too late... then the game is to find them, where they are bedding down, and how they are entering your resort!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ants, infestation