Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Texas
THOR #14778
Carpenter Ants in coach

Anyone experiencing Carpenter Ants in the coach? I had a front leak at the window two or three years ago and I have a wood pile within 15 feet of the coach. I have evidence of Carpenter Ants, these guys are red and black and about 1/4" long. there is shavings along the front left and right of the cockpit and in the bedroom below the TV. also by the front door. HELP please to get rid of these devils. I am now using boric acid and powdered sugar mixture.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:31 AM   #2

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
We tried an exterminator a couple of times, they kept rehatching

Someone suggested trying this on their route into the house. It dries but stays active so the new ones keep tracking it to the nest, killing them as they hatch.
https://www.amazon.com/BASF-805571-T...s%2C232&sr=8-2
Old 07-04-2021, 02:38 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Diazinon granules.... if you can still get it. I used to toss a few scant handfuls up into the eaves of a separate garage every spring. The garage was under some large trees... Never had any ants in there. Hands down the best for ant control.

Carpenter ants will literally destroy a wood structure in a very short time.

Be careful using around children and pets... I only applied it where neither were likely to be.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #4

THOR #14778
Carpenter Ants in Coach

Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't found any trails of ants. Just occasional shavings and 2 or 3 ants on occasion but not many. . Haven't found Diaznon but will continue to try. I an going to try Bioadvantage Carpenter Ant and Termite killer. I cant put granules around the coach since we have Guineas near and our dogs travel with us. Thank you again for your help and all. We have a lot of tame and wildlife out here, sure don't want to hurt them.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Get some diatomaceous earth.
https://www.finegardening.com/articl...xic-ant-killer

It's toxic to bugs, but harmless to pets and humans.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:18 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Tempo. Spray or powder

The earth is non toxic but isn't good for puppies with allergies
Old 07-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
You should think about moving the wood pile or the coach. As long as the wood pile is there, the potential for problems are too. Wood piles also attract termites. Ants and termites are mortal enemies and they vye for the same territory and food sources. The ants will win every time.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: it's kind of like zebras camping on the path leading to the lion's den.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #9

THOR #14778
Moving the wood pile is my next step. I had forgot about Tempo. I think I still have some. Thanks all
Old 07-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #10

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin S View Post
Anyone experiencing Carpenter Ants in the coach? I had a front leak at the window two or three years ago and I have a wood pile within 15 feet of the coach. I have evidence of Carpenter Ants, these guys are red and black and about 1/4" long. there is shavings along the front left and right of the cockpit and in the bedroom below the TV. also by the front door. HELP please to get rid of these devils. I am now using boric acid and powdered sugar mixture.
My old Jayco had them, we camped in Wisconsin and there were carpenter ants climbing all over the motorhome. We noticed more and more each day. When I got home I removed the bottom of the AC unit and saw a few ants. I sprayed Bayer complete insect killer in the AC ductwork and the ants started dropping to the floor, I called the wife and we stomped on 500 or more ants. I called an exterminator he sprayed the complete motorhome and all around it. In three days they were gone, best 350 dollars I spent. Call someone because they use chemicals they said were safe and the ant's would take it back to the nest and kill them
Old 07-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #11

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Diazinon granules.... if you can still get it. I used to toss a few scant handfuls up into the eaves of a separate garage every spring. The garage was under some large trees... Never had any ants in there. Hands down the best for ant control.

Carpenter ants will literally destroy a wood structure in a very short time.

Be careful using around children and pets... I only applied it where neither were likely to be.
diazinon was banned in 2005, I have a little left in a bottle. That stuff was great for killing ants
Old 07-18-2021, 12:04 AM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
My old Jayco had them, we camped in Wisconsin and there were carpenter ants climbing all over the motorhome. We noticed more and more each day. When I got home I removed the bottom of the AC unit and saw a few ants. I sprayed Bayer complete insect killer in the AC ductwork and the ants started dropping to the floor, I called the wife and we stomped on 500 or more ants. I called an exterminator he sprayed the complete motorhome and all around it. In three days they were gone, best 350 dollars I spent. Call someone because they use chemicals they said were safe and the ant's would take it back to the nest and kill them
Bayer Tempo is safe to use in a kitchen and if very effective
Old 07-18-2021, 03:22 AM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Like other have said, carpenter ants will eat the wood structure in your coach. If you see one or two, I bet there are a few hundred more you don't see living in your walls.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #14

THOR #1249
Then there are powder post beetles which I had in a trailer's dinette. Removed the dinette and installed table and chairs.
Not sure how to get rid of them.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #11800
I had the same problem a few years ago, bought a 3 pack ant and roach bomb at lowes, set 2 of them off overnight, next morning vacuumed up a tonof dead ants, never had them back.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #16

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin S View Post
Bifenthrin, a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide and very repellent to antsit can be bought at tractor supply you spray them on contact it will kill them. After it is dry, they won't come near it, because it repels them. I would spray them and use the insect bomb to kill any hidden nest.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:01 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galobo View Post
Bifenthrin, a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide and very repellent to antsit can be bought at tractor supply you spray them on contact it will kill them. After it is dry, they won't come near it, because it repels them. I would spray them and use the insect bomb to kill any hidden nest.
I completely forgot about my stink bug "war"!

I started using a product called Bifen XTS for a stink bug infestation 2 years ago. It's a stronger formula of the same stuff. Supposedly stink bugs are difficult to control... today I occasionally (rarely) find even a dead one. I spray the entire perimeter of the house, especially soffits spring and fall. We have NO bugs or spiders in the house! We don't have insects in the MH... except for the occasional "camp fly". But if we did, that would be my go to. It's relatively cheap... I still have over half of a $45 quart of concentrate left. Exterminators here charge $100 for ONE APPLICATION!!

Pyrethrin based insecticides leave a residue which dries after a couple hours. It's derived from Chrysanthemums. I'm careful about "the bees"... we have a garden, and those are the good guys! And it's touted as pet friendly after completely dry.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:02 AM   #18
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
We use EcoRaider Ant & Crawing Insect Killer. Safe around kids and pets. It uses natural plat oils. Read about it on Amazon. It lasts for four weeks. When nothing else works, this does and really fast. It is not harmful to pets, birds, fish, etc..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-22-2021, 12:26 AM   #19

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galobo View Post
I use Bifen I/T religiously. I get it on amazon and its lasted me 3 years so far, using around the house and property. Also, this stuff will also keep termites away from your foundation for 10 years if triple dosed.

Mainly, I use it for those UFO landing sites on my property (grass beetle). But, now will spray my undercarriage with it.