Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2021, 01:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Oil Change Question - 2021 Ford F53 V8 (ACE 33.1)

Just want to ask if anyone had done their own oil change on their 2021 Ford F53 V8 chasis (ACE 33.1). I would like to do my first oil change before I tow our car for the first time, on a tow dolly. My RV now have 6K miles. I have done my own oil change on my previous Class C (E450).

I looked at the 2020 Ford F53 manual that I downloaded on the THOR owners website. It only showed "how to measure oil", "how to add oil", and oil capacity. No actual instruction on how to remove/replace the oil filter.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the location of the oil filter and drain plug? The level of difficulty???

I am thinking of going to Ford Dealership and give them my VIN so I can purchase the oil filter and correct oil grade.

Thanks.

ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:44 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I'm sure they have the stuff at wally world, autozone, et al. It would probably be cheaper than the dealer. Hopefully it is easier to put the oil back in than it is in my 18 Hurricane.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I still have the older V10 (and I like it fine, FWIW) and it is absolutely the easiest vehicle I’ve ever owned on which to change oil and filter. Mostly this is because of the placement of the oil filter. Is the newer engine as conveniently laid out? Just curious.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #4

THOR #21278
I haven’t seen the oil filter yet. I crawled underneath the other day (front) area when I remove and reinstall my front seats (to do the floor noise reduction mod). I did not see the oil filter and drain plug.

I will crawl again today on the rear area of the front wheels to see the location. I just dont have a lot of height underneath to work.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Putting oil back in is a bit tricky. There’s not a lot of overhead room when you flip the quart bottle. You’ll need to buy a shutoff for the quart bottle and get one with the tubing as you’ll need that most likely. I’ve done it several times and I got the Fumoto valve for the oil pan on the RV for easy drain and no mess.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:17 AM   #6

THOR #21278
I just finished crawling underneath my 33.1 and I took some pictures. The Oil Drain Plug and Oil Filter is very accessible. (see pics 1 and 2). However, I am having trouble finding the Oil Filler Cap (as shown on the manual).

Even the Trans Dip Stick and Oil Dip Stick is at a different location (as shown on the included 2020 Manual). Anyone have an idea on where the Oil Filler Cap is located?

And the location on the Dip Sticks, Engine Coolant and Brake Fluid Reservoir is hard to reach (top off). THOR and FORD didn't really think about the end user. The location of the 2 dip sticks is in a very awkward position. You can pull it out, about maybe 4-5 inches. Then you have to “drop” or push the handle downward. To top off the coolant and brake fluid, you will have to use some pump and hose. Very awkward location.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would like to do the first oil change on my RV.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:07 AM   #7

THOR #6826
Thanks for the photos. Add a Fumoto. valve to that sucker and you’ll have a super easy oil change! The oil fill will be where Ford says it is and yes it’ll be a bit awkward. But if you buy your oil in quarts and use a Hopkins oil spout it’s not too hard. I used a pump the first time and it worked fine but it was an oily mess to store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	29876  
Old 04-21-2021, 04:06 AM   #8

THOR #21278
Thanks for your response Pete. I was going to drive to Ford this afternoon to get the correct oil filter. I remember giving them the VIN on my previous Class C. They were able to pull up the oil filter. For the quart size oil, I will get them at a local Auto Zone or PEP Boys. They will only accept used oil for recycling if you purchase the oil from them. I will also get that oil spout you recommended.

Back to the oil filler location, I will open my hood again and look around some more. On your coach, are you able to easily see the oil filler cap?
Old 04-21-2021, 04:20 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
It's easily seen on mine. Upper left hand side

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:45 AM   #10

THOR #21278
I will have to call Ford tomorrow to verify if the supplied “2020 Ford F53 Manual” included in my owners manual kit is correct. I just finished watching this video on a 2019 F53 V10 (mine is V8). His oil filler can be easily seen, right below that black air hose. I moved that black hose to the side, to be able to see those 2 yellow dip stick handles in my pictures. HIS oil dip stick is located to the RIGHT side of the engine bay (as shown in my manual photo). So, it seems like my manual is wrong, as A) I did not see the oil filler and B) the Oil Dip Stick is not where it should be.

I will take another look tomorrow.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #11

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Thanks for your response Pete. I was going to drive to Ford this afternoon to get the correct oil filter. I remember giving them the VIN on my previous Class C. They were able to pull up the oil filter. For the quart size oil, I will get them at a local Auto Zone or PEP Boys. They will only accept used oil for recycling if you purchase the oil from them. I will also get that oil spout you recommended.

Back to the oil filler location, I will open my hood again and look around some more. On your coach, are you able to easily see the oil filler cap?

Well I have the V10 and my coach is SOB so I’m not sure it’s apples to apples. But on mine the filler is high up on the passenger side. It’s not hard to find but it is right up under the bulkhead so adding oil is awkward. But once I discovered the oil spout in the photo I haven’t had any trouble. In my case I cut the hose down to about 6 - 7 inches and by holding a quart bottle flat and horizontal it works just fine. It helps that the filler device also has a shutoff so you won’t spill anything until your all set. If you’re worried about it I suggest “practicing” with an oil bottle before you break the foil seal and doing it before you drain the sump to be sure you can actually refill the engine. Also, if you plan to do it yourself I strongly recommend a Fumoto valve with a short piece of hose so you can drain without using a wrench. Removing the filter is super easy but can be messy. I use a “pliers” type filter wrench and use a disposable plastic table cloth or a large size dog potty pad under my catch pan. Sometimes I punch a drain hole in the filter before removing it and I often use a large styrofoam “big gulp” cup from the gas station to catch the overflow and keep from burning my hands. With practice you’ll be able to do it in 20 minutes for about $40 using Mobil 1 synthetic. You should lube the front end while you’re under there as well. I don’t know about the new chassis but on the older one there are only 9 fittings all of which are easily accessible. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #12

THOR #21278
I just called FORD Motor Company to request and verify manual for my 2021 THOR ACE (2020 Ford F53 Chassis per the build sheet). I gave them the VIN and I was placed on hold for several minutes. I explained my concern or question about the Manual NOT showing the same location of the "oil dip stick". and also my question why I am not seeing the oil filler cap where is should be, based on the manual (I will re-check again today when I get home).

Now.... this is what bothered me with the call. The Rep told me that he "highly suggest to me to take the RV to have the oil change done at the FORD Dealership, as it is new and it is still under warranty". I was told the If I do my own oil change, that "may void" the warranty. WTF???

Issue I have with me taking the RV to Ford is that there are only 3 Ford Dealerships in Las Vegas area. No one want to work on an RV because the RV DO NOT fit their work area. So what now???

Can they really void warranty of we do our own oil change? (even if we purchase the oil filter and oil from Ford Dealership to prove we used the correct oil filter and oil grade)?
Old 04-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I just called FORD Motor Company to request and verify manual for my 2021 THOR ACE (2020 Ford F53 Chassis per the build sheet). I gave them the VIN and I was placed on hold for several minutes. I explained my concern or question about the Manual NOT showing the same location of the "oil dip stick". and also my question why I am not seeing the oil filler cap where is should be, based on the manual (I will re-check again today when I get home).

Now.... this is what bothered me with the call. The Rep told me that he "highly suggest to me to take the RV to have the oil change done at the FORD Dealership, as it is new and it is still under warranty". I was told the If I do my own oil change, that "may void" the warranty. WTF???

Issue I have with me taking the RV to Ford is that there are only 3 Ford Dealerships in Las Vegas area. No one want to work on an RV because the RV DO NOT fit their work area. So what now???

Can they really void warranty of we do our own oil change? (even if we purchase the oil filter and oil from Ford Dealership to prove we used the correct oil filter and oil grade)?
Make sure you save your receipts for all materials and record the date, time and mileage of when you changed the oil and filter. Use parts that meet or exceeds Ford's specifications and you will be good to go. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act covers this topic.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #14

THOR #21278
DAVE, thank you for that information.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:32 AM   #15

THOR #21278
OK. I think I finally found where the Oil Fill Cap is. But let me tell you what I discovered first. In searching the internet for the 2020 F53 Manual, I came across Ford Website, where it asked for my VIN.

A 2020 F-SERIES SUPER DUTY CLASS A MOTORHOME AND COMMERCIAL CHASSIS Owner's Manual popped up. In the initial look, they seemed the same as what I already have. Same Title and All. But.... if you take a close look at the bottom of the 2 pictures of the engine diagrams, you will notice that the First one showed "First Print". The next picture shows "Second Print".

It looked like the First Print had some incorrect information.
B. Engine Oil Filler Cap - is NOT in the actual engine
F. Engine Oil Dip Stick - look closely at the picture. That is actually the Oil Filler Cap.

The Second Print showed the Correct Labels and Pictures, which show the location of the Oil Fill Cap (I hope). Can someone confirm that for me based on the SECOND PICTURE?

I stopped by Ford Dealership and picked up 8 quarts of Ford Full Synthetic Oil, Ford Oil Filter and the recommended oil spout by Pete. I am hoping to do the oil change tomorrow. I probably get that Fumoto plug on the next oil change.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

Yes, doing your own oil change can void your warranty if you screw it up and cause damage to the engine. but otherwise, no. They would have to prove that what you did caused the "warranty" problem. And you don't have to buy the oil and filter from the dealer but you do have to buy oil and a filter that meets their specifications for your engine, listed in the Owners manual.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:35 PM   #18

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Oil change

I change my oil myself every 7,000 or once a year which ever comes first.
I use synthetic oil, get better gas mileage 10 mpg with my ace 29.3 and fram oil filter purchase at Walmart.
Drain plug and filter are easy to get to no jacking required.
Putting new oil in I dump gallon container in short can to fill or you can get a small pump to fill the oil.
7 quarts of oil.
Takes about 30 minutes and easy to do.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #19

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
I just finished crawling underneath my 33.1 and I took some pictures. The Oil Drain Plug and Oil Filter is very accessible. (see pics 1 and 2). However, I am having trouble finding the Oil Filler Cap (as shown on the manual).

Even the Trans Dip Stick and Oil Dip Stick is at a different location (as shown on the included 2020 Manual). Anyone have an idea on where the Oil Filler Cap is located?

And the location on the Dip Sticks, Engine Coolant and Brake Fluid Reservoir is hard to reach (top off). THOR and FORD didn't really think about the end user. The location of the 2 dip sticks is in a very awkward position. You can pull it out, about maybe 4-5 inches. Then you have to “drop” or push the handle downward. To top off the coolant and brake fluid, you will have to use some pump and hose. Very awkward location.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would like to do the first oil change on my RV.

I haven’t done it myself on the F53 bit will next time as the dealer doubled their price. I believe you fill through the dip stick. You can get a can with attached flexible hose.

https://rving.how/rv-oil-change-ford...v-f53-chassis/
Old 04-25-2021, 12:52 AM   #20

THOR #21278
IDguy, when you said “fill through the dip stick”, are you referring to the photo and description based on the picture above?

I posted a different picture of the “second print” of the manual, which I believe have the correct location of the oil filler cap. I haven’t done my oil change yet as it is very windy today. I will post my result when I am done.

The video link you posted is for the V10 engine F53. I have the newer V8 engine. I guess thats why I am having a difficult time finding video on the oil change for the same engine model.