Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2018, 11:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Angry CAUTION! TV in bedroom mount

I wanted to post this in case someone else has the same TV mount in their MH bedroom. I have a 2018 Challenger 37YT, I was doing some measuring inside the storage compartment where the BR TV is mounted when suddenly the whole front of the cabinet just fell loose from the ceiling! Luckily, I was inside so it didn't fall completely down or it would have probably destroyed the whole cabinet and damaged the walls, etc. I held it up and was able to reach inside the closet where I had a small suitcase which I placed under the cabinet to hold it up. Upon looking at what happened, apparently Thor's "wonderful" tech guys only put two...yes that's TWO screws in the front of the cabinet holding it to the ceiling and there was maybe a HALF INCH OF THREADS going into the ceiling to hold things in place. There was no other support on the sides, just the top and whatever is in the back. Now, bear in mind, this is a STORAGE cabinet with a 32" TV mounted to a solid wooden door with solid wooden framing! Thank goodness we've never put anything heavy in there before and it didn't happen while driving down the road! I've attached a picture of the setup but it's just for reference. I'll take pictures of how it looks now with screws pulled loose and post tomorrow. The TV and cabinet are on the upper left side of the picture. It happened right before we were readying to go eat so I didn't have time to take pics today.

If anyone has a similar setup, you might want to check yours out just in case so you won't have the same issue. I won't get off into the "terrible quality of Thor" rant, it's been said enough but I will say I've practically rebuilt this BRAND NEW MH myself in the 6 months I've had it......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BR TV.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	9531  

Old 04-01-2018, 01:30 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
I never realized that I really bought a VEGAS mh kit (except for the chassis)

At least I think I am making my High School shop teacher proud.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
"Vegas MH Kit". I like it as it says it all.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that this happened to your rig!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Pics follow up

Well, I wasn't able to get very good pictures but a few that shows the issue. In the second pic, you can see the two screws which were holding the very front of the cabinet to the ceiling with only about 1/2" of threads going into the ceiling. The first pic shows the left side and back, there were no screws in the sides at all, NEITHER SIDE, and there were only 4 screws in the rear holding up the cabinet and the window shades which were mounted to the bottom of the cabinet. I am very surprised it held up this long with so little support! Needles to say, I put enough screws in the top, both sides and back that if the wall falls down the cabinet will remain where it is! I had to remove the inside, bottom cabinet cover to get to the frame for the sides. That's how I saw there were no screws attaching it to the side walls. Kind of a non-issue, that bottom inside cover only had a couple or staples holding it down, no biggie and it was easy to remove without damaging it.

I just wanted to post this so if anyone has a similar setup, they can check theirs to be certain it is supported well. You will be able to see the screw heads where it is screwed to the ceiling, wall, sides, etc. Again, there is a lot of weight for so few screws to hold up and that's not considering anything we might put in the cabinet to store. It would be conservative to say there could be as much as 30-40 lbs. with the TV, cabinet weight, window shades and stored items inside. If it comes apart and no one is under it like I was lucky enough to be, it WILL damage the walls, TV, cabinet....no telling what else. It could also injure someone if they opened up the cabinet and it broke loose then. Hope this is an isolated incident just limited to mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BR TV C.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	9562   Click image for larger version

Name:	BR TV A.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	9563