Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
Challenges with slide extend and retract

Purchased a new 2018 for Senergy 24SD in June 2018. DW and I loaded up the new rig and headed out from Arizona to the Midwest in July 2018. We were on the road for one month when we discovered DW had aggressive cancer while in the Green Bay Wisconsin area. This prompted our parking the motorhome to deal with her health issues. I lost her within 36 days of learning that she had cancer.

Point of order for this forum is that we used the coach for one month operating the two slides possibly a dozen times. I made an appointment with dealer in Mesa AZ in November to correct the new coach issues we discovered on our first trip, such as refrigerator problems, entry steps not working, and rear slide squeaking. The dealer had the coach for roughly two weeks and then returned it to me “ready to go” so I could put it back in covered storage here in Arizona close to the house.

So here it is late February and I’m getting ready to head up to Seattle for about six months. Brought the coach out of storage and to the house to work on dual wheel air extension hoses, when a friend stopped by and wanted to see the coach with slides extended before I begin my trip to Seattle here in 3 days. Rear slide operated great, while the front slide started operating with the back of the slide moving slower than the front part of the slide. We finally got the front slide extended by the friend putting a little of his weight against the rear of the slide trying to force it out. When the front of the slide was fully extended, the rear part of the slide lagged behind about 4 or 5 inches. I continued to push the extend button and the rear portion of the slide finally caught up with the front portion, making the forward slide extended completely on both the front and rear portion of the slide. When I retracted the slide, the rear of the slide, once again, lagged behind the front of the slide and its movement in toward the coach bulkhead. After pushing the extend button and then the retract button alternately for brief moments, I finally got the slide seated against the coach bulkhead where it was closed completely.

This slide acts like the rear part of this slide is binding and restricting it from free movement as compared to the front part of the slide. When operating the slides, I had the jacks down with a slight list to the starboard side. The coach was setting in my circle drive and when you look at it, it appears relatively level although I would expect the list to starboard to have been 1° or 2° at most. As this was the weekend with no service department available at La Mesa RV, I haven’t been able to contact the dealer for comment. The slide has never been an issue in the few times we have opened and closed that slide. I would estimate that slide to be approximately 80 inches length so it is not a big slide. I’m leaving Thursday for Seattle, and would be interested in anybody’s thoughts on what is going on with this slide. I highly doubt that the dealer would be able to get this coach into their service department as they routinely tell me they are at least 3 to 4 weeks out on service work.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #2

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
I am going to take a guess that your slide is an electric Schwintek. You can confirm this by looking at the outside of the slide wall and let us know if you see two horizontal aluminum tracks, one near the top of the slide and the other near the bottom. You may have already done this, but since you didn't mention it, I would suggest the you make sure that the slide motors are synchronized. If the slide is already all the way in, press the button again to retract and hold it for about 5 seconds after the slide has physically stopped. Then try to open the slide. If it extends to the full open position snd stops, do the same as before by holding the extend button about 5 seconds after the slide has physically stopped in what should be the fully extended position. After performing this operation on both ends and the problem is not resolved then you will probably need to get it in for service. The controllers (there is one for each slide, so make sure you locate the correct one) are usually located in the storage compartments. They have LEDs that can provide codes to some of the problems. If you have the manual, you might take a scan of it and see if it gives you any answer. Also, there is a lot of informaton on line about the operation of this type system and how to troubleshoot it.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #3

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Just want to clarify...this synchronization step should only be performed when the slide is fully extended (both sides out evenly) and when the slide is completely retracted (again, both sides in flush and even). Trying to synchronize them when the slide is cattywhompus will not work!
Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
I had this same issue late last year. I performed the synchronization as outlined in Schwintek manual. After many tries I called the factory rep. He said do the following:

"Make sure the slide is all the way in. Hold extend button until slide goes out ~6". Then retract the slide fully. Do not let go of the button until the slide is fully retracted and you count to at least 10 seconds after motor humming stops. Then let go and repeat the above steps 3 times. This should solve the problem."

Every time you retract or extend a slide ALWAYS hold the button for 10 seconds after motor quits to ensure a good synchronization of the motors.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #5

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
In addition to this info, if electric Schwintek, be sure you do not allow the slide to stop before becoming fully extended or fully seated into the closed position. You need to complete the run each way and as stated, continue to hold the slide switch for additional 5 count after you hear the system shut down.
Let us know how this turns out.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #6

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
We have same issue with Challenger. We have done everything mentioned along with manual retract and lubricating it. The bottom line is slide is not level when out (could be from service tech at factory jacking it up and putting new bolts in to allow for underneath compartments to open). We now have to use a car jack with 2x4’s to jack the rear of the slide up so it is level and catches on the track. As usual Thor doesn’t think it’s a major issue.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

THOR #12461
Thank you for some of these suggestions. I am heading over to the RV storage this morning to pick up the motorhome and bring it to the house to begin looking at this slide operation. Hopefully, can troubleshoot through this issue quickly because I have to be on the road to Seattle Thursday morning and it’s going to take at least a half a day to load for the trip. I’ll provide feedback after I get the RV on site here at the house this morning on what I see.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:34 AM   #8

THOR #12461
I’m going to assume this motorhome has Schwintek slide control. I have searched virtually every place I can think of and cannot find those small controllers that are pictured in the Schwintek manual. However these slides, once the slide is extended do have aluminum tracks top and bottom, and on the front side and aft side of the slide.

The issue as it currently stands, is that when you push the extend button on the forward slide controller, the front and the back of the slide both start extending. Once they are both out about 5 or 6 inches, the forward motor in the forward part of the slide will continue at normal speed while the rear motor on the aft part of the forward slide slows up tremendously, which begins to cock the slide sideways. With someone else pushing the extend button I can put my weight against the aft part of the slide and push the after part of the slide out to equal the speed of the forward part of the slide. Once the slide is extended all the way out, you can push the retract button on the forward slide and the aft motor will pull the after part of the slide in at normal speed while the forward motor lags way behind and will cock the slide sideways. So extending the slide out all the way, one man on the operator buttons and One man outside pushing the forward part of the slide in, you can retract the slide all the way in and seat it against the bulkhead of the coach.

I called a technician at La Mesa RV and he has suggested I contact Thor factory in the morning. He also suggested that since the coach has been in storage since early December without being plugged in other than my running the generator once a week for 15 minutes to charge batteries, that he suggested the batteries may not be totally charged and that the motors may not be functioning correctly due to lack of battery strength. With the coach here at the house, I have the coach plugged in tonight and we will see how the slide operates in the morning once I have a full charge. I anticipate I will be calling Thor in the morning as I have my doubts about this battery strength solving the issue.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I doubt this will help but my manual says to leave the rv engine running when moving the slides in and out so the alternator will keep a constant voltage to each slide motor, but have you looked at the wiring to each slide and at the batterys for corrosion?

Corrosion is resistance which would lower the voltage just a thought.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:00 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
I doubt this will help but my manual says to leave the rv engine running when moving the slides in and out so the alternator will keep a constant voltage to each slide motor, but have you looked at the wiring to each slide and at the batterys for corrosion?

Corrosion is resistance which would lower the voltage just a thought.
Not sure what coach or slide system you have but most slides are locked out from movement when the engine is running.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:06 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
The slide will more than likely not operate with the vehicle engine running.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #12

THOR #12461
Well, I have no explanation for this but the following is what transpired. 1) fwd slide would notgo out without physically pushing on aft end of slide along with another person pushing bottom. To get the slide to come back in, I put one person on the retract button while I physically pushed on the outside forward edge. 2) I called LaMesa RV in Mesa, and they told me to call the factory. 3) I called the factory. They returned my call stating to look for a worn down (flat) roller, or any obstruction, which I did. There was no issues under the slide as best as I could see without tearing things apart. They also explained how to synchronize the slide, which I did with no success. 4) I ran out of time and had to load for going to Seattle. Figured I would just have to live with it until next fall when I had time to make another appt. 5) on our first stop after leaving home, which was RV park in Lake Havasu area, we prepared to extend the fwd slide a little to make some room, and it extended without assistance. I might add that it was a bit loss level at the RV park than it was at home.

We have extended it two times since then, and it has worked okay. I have no explanation for why. The only thing that makes any sense with this, is that something was obstructing the slide, which I continue to look for. I did find the slide controller in the basement, with a picture attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	15967
Old 03-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
The slide will more than likely not operate with the vehicle engine running.

Maybe. Both of my previous RVs would work fine without the engine running but the instructions say to keep it running and I always do just for the added voltage. I’d suggest trying it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Same issue for us after service

We had a similar / same issue with our slide right after a service appointment at our selling dealer.

We followed the sync procedure in the slide manual and that worked. No problems since.

My theory is that the service techs at some dealerships either do not know or do not care and they do not extend the slide all of the way out when performing service. Or they do not hold the button after extend / retract to let the motors fully amp out and stay synced.

Thus we get our rig home and the slide malfunctions because the dealer got the motors out of sync.

SO - You may be OK since you are using it and are not having any issues now. What ever you did probably got things synced up.

Always fully extend / retract without stopping and always hold the switch for an extra few seconds to make sure the motors fully amp out and stay synced up.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #15

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
If you want, You Tube has many videos on the Schwintek slide system- maintenance, synchronization, troubleshooting, etc.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #16

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
You may also wish to contact John McCambridge, Lippert Components (makers of the Schwintek Slides). He can be reached at (574) 537-8900.

He is a true customer-oriented person and will assist you in a professional manner.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Delaware
THOR #9488
Just had exact problem you describe on my 2018 Aria.....turned out to be a bad controller.....swapped with one of the others to prove....Thor sent me a new controller
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #10500
I had a similar situation in my Four Winds and found the motor on the side that didn’t retract was unplugged up near the top of the trim on the inside of the house. Small white plug that doesn’t stay together all that well.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #19

State: Alberta
THOR #12493
Same issue on my Miramar

We had the same problem with the slide not coming in smoothly. There was a low voltage error on the display but even so we were able to sync the slide and it worked fine. Got the same low voltage error when we tried to bring up the jacks. Checked the breaker in the coach battery compartment; it was blown. Once reset no more low voltage errors on the slide or jacks. It surprised me that the slide would come in at all if the breaker was blown.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #20

Model: Daybreak
State: British Columbia
THOR #8858
We were travelling to Mesa a couple of weeks ago and on our last day on the road, the bedroom slide jammed sideways when retracting as one side was not going as fast as the other. The first 6" of travel were fine and "synchronized". We were stuck being on a Sunday and not able to reach any assistance. So I went onto YouTube and learned and tried the "electronic" bypass of the controller where you press a little button 8 times but still couldn't manually push or electronically operate the slide. There was another YouTube that described a way of lifting the drive motors up so the drive gears are not on the rack (track). I did this and my neighbor and I were then able to easily push the slide in and secure inside w/ a travel bar and continue to Mesa. Problem then was couldn't get the slide back out. We were fortunate to get a RV shop to look at it a day later and they determined the Schwintek system needed replacing. They had to replace the whole drive assemblies on both sides of the side which cost $3000. Thank goodness for extended warranty on 2013 Thor Daybreak motorhome. However the insurance company would not cover all of the repair as it was later determined that there is a repair/rebuild kit now available for Schwintek drives and that could/should have been done instead of the total drive replacement. Apparently I had also done some damage to the wires when I lifted the drive motors up. So we are on the hook for some of the repairs. The underlying problem was that the bedroom slides in 2013 & 2014 do not have rollers under them to support the slide and it basically just "hangs" from the Schwintek drives which are really designed and limited to driving the slide in and out but not supporting the slide. They have since corrected that design flaw but Thor is taking no responsibility for fixing the design flaw in the 2013/14 coaches except to tell you the part number and where to order the adjustable roller and riding plate for the bottom of the slide. Frustrating to have this happen when on a trip as it ties up a huge amount of time and emotional energy.