Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2020, 03:30 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Side Cameras Foggy

Rear camera is perfectly clear but my side cameras have gotten so foggy they are almost useless - an no, it is not on the outside of the lens.

So the question is: has anybody disassembled their Thor installed mirrors to replace or clean the integrated cameras? I believe they are made by Velvac?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
While I've never disassembled the mirror I was afforded the opportunity to replace it thanks to the RV that parked beside my at the storage log...

FYI https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/product-p/719216.htm is the passenger side mirror for the 2018 Vegas.

While installing the new mirror it looked like you could get to the screws to disassemble it through the mounting post hole.
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I have never had this issue with my mirror cameras as yet, but there is an interesting article that "may" help....attaching the link below. I don't know when the article was written or if the camera access by pulling down and out the small convex mirror above the camera will work for all typical RV mirrors (read this as owner may wind up with a broken mirror if you try it)......but some info may apply and be helpful. If you do get into the mirror and get the camera out, let the forum know how you did it. Good luck.

https://rvnstyle.com/fix-foggy-rv-si...with-pictures/
Old 01-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Well I have never had this issue with my mirror cameras as yet, but there is an interesting article that "may" help....attaching the link below. I don't know when the article was written or if the camera access by pulling down and out the small convex mirror above the camera will work for all typical RV mirrors (read this as owner may wind up with a broken mirror if you try it)......but some info may apply and be helpful. If you do get into the mirror and get the camera out, let the forum know how you did it. Good luck.

https://rvnstyle.com/fix-foggy-rv-si...with-pictures/
Well from the one big picture in that article our Velvac mirrors are completely different. The other pictures are so small as to be worthless.

Our Velvac mirrors appear to be standard 2025/2030 mirrors with an add-on on the bottom for the camera. There is a sticker visible on the bottom of my mirror advertising Velvacrv.com for parts but that website id for sale. The standard Velvac.com website is worthless for identifying the mirrors or cameras. They have a year/make/model wizard which lists Thor and Ace, Hurricane, Windsport, etc (but not Vegas) but the only year available in the drop-down box is 2018, but then it can't find your mirrors anyway.
In addition the passenger mirror has been flaking the chrome off of it for two years and really looks bad right now. So I'm real impressed with Velvac products at this point.

If the weather's good this weekend I'll tray to take the mirror head off and see if there is any way to remove the camera housing without completely disassembling the mirror head. Worst case I may just forget these cameras and install new discrete wall mount cameras.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Dammit!
Now you've got me thinking of zoomable and steerable side cameras.
I don't need it to fully zoom but I sure don't need to see a half mile into the hayfield next to the road like it does now. Zoomable camera would let you lap the rear view and side view perfectly.
Just a thought if you're swapping cameras out.

But

I've already purchased a 360° camera setup with looping dvr.
I'm just waiting for good weather so I can do the install. Ladders on the sides, roof climbing a dozen times, holes to drill....

A handy aside:
When I changed stereos, and I think Timmy had the same problem, somehow my passenger side camera view shifted. I haven't checked to see if there is a centering adjustment on the splitter box.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #6

THOR #2631
Yes I noted the mirror style difference also.....but sometimes access may be similar between brands (i.e., lower mirror removal......but may not be worth the risk). Also noted the small pictures.....right click and copy image; open paint application and paste; drag corner to desired size. A pain, but if any are of any value, doable.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #7

THOR #13932
I'm not near the rv, but you've made me think of the cameras I've installed in other vehicles:
Do you think the glass lens cover will unscrew off of the axis cameras?
They unscrew off a couple of installs I've done....

I'd try a full palm press and a turning motion.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

THOR #2631
I just checked my frozen in snow 2013 ACE 30.1 and its mirrors are marked Velvac 717334 (not sure if they are similar to your 2016?). Replacement mirrors with camera available at Pacific RV (I think Jack is located many miles South of Las Vegas in the boonies, but I have dealt with him for door locks). You "might" get a response for just a camera replacement (if he knows) or even an access method if you are really lucky. $425 for the whole works.

https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/product-p/719158.htm
Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #9

THOR #2631
How about this link:

https://www.velvac.com/products/mirrors

Maybe they can be contacted for more specifics.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:56 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Dammit!
I've already purchased a 360° camera setup with looping dvr.
I'm just waiting for good weather so I can do the install. Ladders on the sides, roof climbing a dozen times, holes to drill....
Bill you need to start a new thread about the 360 camera.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:05 AM   #11

THOR #13932
I'll do a very thorough thread as I'm installing.
It's mostly just holes and wires and the lengthening and shortening of wires on the install, but it has to be hooked up through a laptop and the cameras have to be cropped and stretched and stitched together.

The installs on howtube are not easy to follow.

I'll make this one step by step rv friendly.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:51 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Are the cameras dirty? I noticed one time mine were blurry and I wiped off the camera lens and all was fine.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Rear camera is perfectly clear but my side cameras have gotten so foggy they are almost useless - and no, it is not on the outside of the lens.

So the question is: has anybody disassembled their Thor installed mirrors to replace or clean the integrated cameras? I believe they are made by Velvac?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Are the cameras dirty? I noticed one time mine were blurry and I wiped off the camera lens and all was fine.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #14

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I went through VELVACs on line site looking at mirrors heads, I never did find the same one as my AXIS and its my guess that THOR has a captive market on some of the ones that are on their coaches and you will have to buy direct from THOR to get the same mirror head, I put a right side camera on my front cap to cover a blind spot, the camera was $119.00, its a Crome plated metal camera and uses the same 5 pin cannon style plug as what the side an rear view mirror use, I had to buy a second splitter box to tie it all in, the new camera has a 120 degree view, this might be a cheaper way to go if the cameras in the mirror are not sold separate.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #15

State: New Jersey
THOR #13774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Rear camera is perfectly clear but my side cameras have gotten so foggy they are almost useless - an no, it is not on the outside of the lens.

I cameras always get foggy in the summer time with humidity. No other time. Whenever I stop I have to wipe them off.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:55 AM   #16

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjoann View Post
I cameras always get foggy in the summer time with humidity. No other time. Whenever I stop I have to wipe them off.
I also had this happen with my 2018 Outlaw 29H. Seemed like on very humid days, moisture would condense on the side camera lens as you were driving and the mirrors / camera would cool down. You couldn't see a thing on the display.

Once stopped for a while and things warmed up, the side cameras would be just fine again.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #17

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
Download these or right click & save as jpg

Then you can enlarge them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirrors.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	43.2 KB