Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #19867
Charging house batteries w/o disconnecting them

Brought the Thor Vegas home and previous owner had mentioned that I should charge the house batteries. I proceeded by placing the battery switch in store and it clicked and then I put the charger on the 2 12volt batteries. Lights for the backup camera screen came on and would not turn off. Read the manual at this point - saw that I should have disconnected the cables first before charging - Here's the question: Is this a big problem? Now I have two new 12 volt batteries - hooked them up and pushed the battery switch to use, nothing happens. It no longer clicks when I push it back to "store." Any suggestions on what is wrong? The ground switch had popped out at some point and I reset it. Backup camera lights went off by the next day.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
On the left hand wall of the battery compartment mine has TWO flag type breakers.
One sits on top of the other making the second one hard to see.
Look carefully to see if you have a flag out. Just itp the flag back into the side of the box it came from.
Think mailbox flag type operation.

That's all i can offer.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalbet View Post
Brought the Thor Vegas home and previous owner had mentioned that I should charge the house batteries. I proceeded by placing the battery switch in store and it clicked and then I put the charger on the 2 12volt batteries. Lights for the backup camera screen came on and would not turn off. Read the manual at this point - saw that I should have disconnected the cables first before charging - Here's the question: Is this a big problem? Now I have two new 12 volt batteries - hooked them up and pushed the battery switch to use, nothing happens. It no longer clicks when I push it back to "store." Any suggestions on what is wrong? The ground switch had popped out at some point and I reset it. Backup camera lights went off by the next day.
Sounds like you might want to add a battery disconnect for next time
What is a ground switch? Not familiar with that
Doesn't sound right about the backup camera lights going out the next day
We all need more info to help you
Old 07-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
On the left hand wall of the battery compartment mine has TWO flag type breakers.
One sits on top of the other making the second one hard to see.
Look carefully to see if you have a flag out. Just itp the flag back into the side of the box it came from.
Think mailbox flag type operation.

That's all i can offer.
I hit that breaker replacing the house batteries, what a day that was figuring out what I did! HAHA
Old 07-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #5

THOR #19867
Thanks for your replies. I tested the new batteries and they are still fully charged. This morning, I manually tripped the sole breaker by pushing the button and tripping the flag and then pushed it back in but the battery "Use" switch still does not click and no power to the house. There is another device above the breaker switch that is labeled 50A Marine SAE Type B without a button or a flag.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #6

THOR #6903
Double check everything, including the connections
Old 07-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #7

THOR #6903
Quote:
What is the ground switch?
How did you hook up the charger to the pair of batteries?
Old 07-31-2020, 10:30 PM   #8

THOR #19867
Two new 12 Volt batteries but still nothing works.

I don't know how to reset the breaker that is labeled 50A Marine SAE Type B? I was able to reset the other breaker with the yellow flag. Thanks
Old 07-31-2020, 10:50 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
I don't know how to reset the breaker that is labeled 50A Marine SAE Type B? I was able to reset the other breaker with the yellow flag. Thanks
It might have a fuse.
Someone here said theirs had a button(I was looking for the button when I found my second flag)

I THINK, and this is from a long ago partial memory, the button is in one of the corners on the face of the breaker. Kind of like a recessed screw pocket but it had a black button in a black hole on a black breaker.

Your best bet is to go online and look until you see one like yours.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:06 PM   #10

THOR #19867
Resetting the Breaker - How to reset this type

Old 08-01-2020, 12:01 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Pictures?

Your " backup camera screen lights" should not have come on when you hooked up the battery charger with the USE/STORE switch in STORE.

I suspect you have blown the 5 amp fuse for the latching relay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #12

THOR #19867
Charging House Batteries w/o disconnecting them

Thor over the phone suggested I test the wires going into and out of the solenoid under the bed. There was no power on either side. I did check the 5 amp fuse under the bed near the solenoid and it looked to be okay. Thanks.

I'm also trying to get an appointment to take into the factory service center since I live within an hour but they must have a long line up since they haven't yet returned my call.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #13
JEM

State: Virginia
THOR #19922
Battery Issues

I experienced the same issue on my Thor Four Winds this year. With solar panels and an extra inverter attached, I had multiple wires entering and exiting the battery box. After pulling out the new batteries and crawling under the coach to make sure I accounted for all the wires, I noticed a couple of the original motor coach wires (one from the front and one from the back) that had fell outside of the battery box when I pulled the old batteries out. After connecting them, the switch worked (clicked) when I turned it on.

My experience / recommendation is to double check the wiring to make sure you have accounted for them all and that they are securely connected.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #14

Model: ace 27.2
State: New York
THOR #9334
Store/use switch

if you hear no click when using the store/use switch go back to the latching relay under the bed. Don't just look at the 5 amp fuse. Pull it and put a meter on it.make sure its not blown. Happened to me multiple times