Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's pretty easy to tell if it's the same as my problem.
Turn it on high fan and Coldest setting.
After a very consistent period of time, I think ours is about 35 minutes, the air will be cold, but it will be a bit dank and the air volume will be much much less.
Turn off the ac but leave the fan on
Air will still be cold, but will warm over a period of 8 or so minutes, and as it warms, air volume increases.
When the air is 60ish degrees(a finger feel) turn the ac back on by pushing the button.
It should all work fine for another time cycle.

We go through this many times a day. It has become second nature. I have, as a lay person, tracked it to an aftermarket valve Thor used, a kenworths part I think. I have the Info somewhere, no guarantee I'll find it and no guarantee it's the problem if I do find it for you... Becuae I'll likely never fix it. It just doesn't bother me to push that switch off and then back on after a while.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
After a very consistent period of time, I think ours is about 35 minutes, the air will be cold, but it will be a bit dank and the air volume will be much much less.
Air will still be cold, but will warm over a period of 8 or so minutes, and as it warms, air volume increases.
When the air is 60ish degrees(a finger feel) turn the ac back on by pushing the button.

We go through this many times a day. It has become second nature. I have, as a lay person, tracked it to an aftermarket valve Thor used, a kenworths part I think. I have the Info somewhere, no guarantee I'll find it and no guarantee it's the problem if I do find it for you... Becuae I'll likely never fix it. It just doesn't bother me to push that switch off and then back on after a while.
That doesn't sound like the symptoms on mine. Air flow does not feel reduced/restricted; just not as cold after a while.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
In order to maximize the AC in the cabin area, just hang a couple blankets from the overhead bunk down to the floor behind the seats. Put the split in the middle with a little overlap so you can have a walkway through to the coach area...
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #24

THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
That doesn't sound like the symptoms on mine. Air flow does not feel reduced/restricted; just not as cold after a while.
If you haven’t already - You need to insulate the dog-house over that engine.
I did mine and even after pulling long mountain passes, the doghouse is relatively cool to the touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73831252-0270-47BE-9D95-E203D7A7D2D1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	19987   Click image for larger version

Name:	3111E46F-4646-4E9E-B963-5F8C836C656D.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	19988  

Old 08-31-2019, 09:34 PM   #25

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
If you haven’t already - You need to insulate the dog-house over that engine.
I did mine and even after pulling long mountain passes, the doghouse is relatively cool to the touch.
Yeah, I haven't done either of those mods yet. I've been a little hesitant to take off that doghouse cover, fearing not being able to put it back together!
Old 08-31-2019, 11:50 PM   #26

THOR #14921
Quote:
Yeah, I haven't done either of those mods yet. I've been a little hesitant to take off that doghouse cover, fearing not being able to put it back together!
It’s really not difficult at all. A couple of the screws were tough to get the square-drive bit into, so I just taped the bit in the box end of a 1/4” wrench and walked them out 1/4 turn at a whack. I used 3/4” thick HVAC duct insulation foam and then DEI reflective fiberglass sheet over that. I used 3m #77 spray adhesive and HVAC Aluminum Tape on the edges.
I made a template first using rosin paper then cut it so it would lay flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78032D58-AF1B-49C5-8F12-EAB5F257F54B.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	19990   Click image for larger version

Name:	2CABCD12-AD08-4892-A536-C888C61B3E50.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	19991  

Old 09-01-2019, 12:26 AM   #27

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #16529
Quote:
I'm wondering if ours is suffering the same as ducksface's is. 36 sounds TOO cold and I wonder if it's icing up and that's causing an issue?

Low refrigerant, dirty evaporations coil, dirty air filters, all causes of lower than normal discharge temps as well as freezing of the coil.

Armando
Old 09-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #28

State: California
THOR #12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Hmmmm. Same problem here.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #29

THOR #14921
When your AC is running, make sure the condensation in the evaporator can properly vent to the ground.
In other words, if it’s not dripping on the ground, the condensation will build up in the evaporator housing. Eventually, it will start to freeze up, stink and will ultimately corrode the fins etc...
There was a case I read of on one of these forums or on Facebook where the condensation was filling one of the fresh air hoses and was hanging way down from the weight of the water...
Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #30

State: California
THOR #12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
How was the outside temp on this trip compared to the last?
Was the humidity high on the second trip? I suspect the exchanger is freezing up at times.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #31

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Was the humidity high on the second trip? I suspect the exchanger is freezing up at times.
I can't quantify it, but it was definitely a muggier day, so I would think that it was higher on the second trip.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #32

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Quote:
Yeah, I was looking at them online last night. Have no idea what is "good enough".

Vent temp should be 20-25 degrees lower than outside. If you get that no problem. That’s straight from an ac repairman
Old 09-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #33

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Vent temp should be 20-25 degrees lower than outside. If you get that no problem. That’s straight from an ac repairman
I've taken three readings so far. For all of them, I've let the engine run for five or so minutes, then recorded the temperature and the outside temp. For all three, the output was almost exactly the same at 39 degrees; outside temps were 72, 75, and 77 degrees. I won't know how it does with it running a long distance until we head out west in two weeks.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
You need an ac guy that has worked on anything newer than 1963.

You're saying/he's saying that a 110 degree day produces an acceptable and prolonged 90 degree ac vent temp.

That seems like some bad information to me.