Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2022, 10:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Chassis Battery

Had a couple of weird occurrences on my summer trip. The chassis battery got weak enough that I had to use the emergency start switch to start the coach one morning. Well, I was in Chugwater Wyoming, and as expected, no place to purchase a battery for a Ford F-53. No worries, there is a Wal Mart in Casper, I thought I'd get one there. Nope, none in stock. Had to go all the way to Montana to find a battery in stock.

Anyway, for the whole trip, the rear camera was flickering and showing lines in the in dash display. I thought, great time to order a new in dash radio and replace it when I get back to Texas. On the way to Wal Mart, it started raining and the info display on the dash flashed 'brake fluid low level' and the brake light illuminated. Well, I coasted to the side of the road and checked the master cylinder. It was full. Took off slowly, tested brakes and they worked. I proceeded, cautiously, to Wal Mart and purchased the battery. Right away the lines in the in dash display went away. It appears the Axxera doesn't like low voltage. So, no new in dash for me, saved a few bucks.

As to the brakes, I broke out my code reader and there were no codes stored. So I guessed that the F-53 does not have a brake system control module. I went online and searched this forum and found nothing. But on another forum, I found a thread about the electrical plug on the master cylinder of the F-53 getting wet and sending out the distress signal. I disconnected the plug on the street side of the master cylinder, blew it out with a can of air, connected it back and the light went out.

I know long post, but I just wanted this info to be out there for future users. Sometimes the fixes are pretty simple, a new battery and a dry electrical connection.

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:10 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Appreciate the heads up on master cylinder plug. I will file it away in the memory bank. Actually, I better right it down my memory bank is partially erased...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:14 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Adrenaline tester for sure...amazing how we roll along with no issues for so long and then...they line up against us and all come at once. Stay calm, qualify and resolve...great job!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:37 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
That is some great info to remember.

Thanks for sharing it.

Paul
Old 08-29-2022, 02:08 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Had a couple of weird occurrences on my summer trip. The chassis battery got weak enough that I had to use the emergency start switch to start the coach one morning. Well, I was in Chugwater Wyoming, and as expected, no place to purchase a battery for a Ford F-53. No worries, there is a Wal Mart in Casper, I thought I'd get one there. Nope, none in stock. Had to go all the way to Montana to find a battery in stock.

Anyway, for the whole trip, the rear camera was flickering and showing lines in the in dash display. I thought, great time to order a new in dash radio and replace it when I get back to Texas. On the way to Wal Mart, it started raining and the info display on the dash flashed 'brake fluid low level' and the brake light illuminated. Well, I coasted to the side of the road and checked the master cylinder. It was full. Took off slowly, tested brakes and they worked. I proceeded, cautiously, to Wal Mart and purchased the battery. Right away the lines in the in dash display went away. It appears the Axxera doesn't like low voltage. So, no new in dash for me, saved a few bucks.

As to the brakes, I broke out my code reader and there were no codes stored. So I guessed that the F-53 does not have a brake system control module. I went online and searched this forum and found nothing. But on another forum, I found a thread about the electrical plug on the master cylinder of the F-53 getting wet and sending out the distress signal. I disconnected the plug on the street side of the master cylinder, blew it out with a can of air, connected it back and the light went out.

I know long post, but I just wanted this info to be out there for future users. Sometimes the fixes are pretty simple, a new battery and a dry electrical connection.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Thanks for that information. Instructions almost nonexistent for those issues.

You'll be glad you replaced the Axxera!