Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6959
Chassis battery

'18 Windsport 31S

Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #2

THOR #6959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckJr View Post
'18 Windsport 31S
Our new unit has been sitting in the driveway for two weeks with everything shut off & a full charge in the batteries. I went out to start the motor and it almost didn't start. The dealership said that this is completely normal. I can't believe that every single owner starts their unit every week or removes/disconnects the batteries. What am I missing??
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckJr View Post
Our new unit has been sitting in the driveway for two weeks with everything shut off & a full charge in the batteries. I went out to start the motor and it almost didn't start. The dealership said that this is completely normal. I can't believe that every single owner starts their unit every week or removes/disconnects the batteries. What am I missing??
Yup we all put on disconnects. I put one on each battery--a knife switch on the chassis battery and a marine style switch on the coach battery.

It is a lot less work simply putting a disconnect on than it is to trace down all the current draws.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

THOR #6959
The dealership said that a disconnect would not work in the chassis battery. Something about the carbon monoxide detector & how it connects to the battery?!?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #4486
I keep my MH plugged in while it's in its' garage and never have any issues with batteries, chassis or house. Periodically check the battery water level and add distilled water when needed. Even with a disconnect, the batteries will drain over time unless you keep a trickle charger on them.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #6

THOR #6959
I see huge lots where people park/store their motorhomes, without electricity and I don't know what they all do.....frustrating....
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #4486
Maybe some of those folks remove their batteries and keep them at home on a trickle charger? If I was storing my unit at a storage facility, I would probably do that. If the RV is stored outdoors at the storage facility, you could add solar panels and that would keep the batteries topped.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
It is an 'it depends'... Ideally - and properly:

The coach disconnect SHOULD disconnect EVERYTHING from the coach batteries... In my case it does... My unit can and has sat for months without any issues - with at most a brief charge from exercising the generator every 4-6 weeks... for the sake of the genny - not the batteries...

The chassis battery should be like any car battery - there are always minimal loads (continuous power for clock, computer) - but weeks to a month SHOULD be no issue... Again has been true with mine...
(On long - month+ - trips I left my non-toad on a battery maintainer at home - so it wasn't dead when I got back... )

I appear to be a 'lucky' one - as many have had different experiences... and as Jamie said - chosen to install new disconnects rather than chase the problem... Can't blame them - it can be a PIA to find the load...

My 2000 Infinity had a separate chassis disconnect - they seem to have gotten away from that in the newer units... The computer would reset each time - and might see some slightly degraded mileage initially (doubt it would be measurable when already in the single digit mpg)... And would have to reset radio clock (minor) - other than that I see no issue with installing a chassis disconnect of some kind.

Carbon Monoxide detector should be on the coach battery - and mine goes OFF with the disconnect - unless plugged in to shore power... With no power, there is no source of ignition for any applicance the CO detector would be monitoring...

Simple fix - install disconnects...
More difficult - find the loads and move them to the proper side of disconnect or otherwise switch... or find a way to charge (solar, etc)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #9

THOR #6959
Thank you for all of the responses. I think I'm going to pursue the disconnects.