Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-27-2023, 10:21 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
Posts: 71
THOR #8513
Chassis Battery Dies When On Shore Power

Does the Chassis battery not get charged when plugged into shore power?
I have a 2008 Windspirt 36ft. While on shore power I run the two overhead reading lights over the driver's and passenger seat at night to illuminated the front of the coach. And run my Sirius portable radio off the 12v power from the dash.
I've been doing that for years. And yes my chassis battery has gone low over time like over a couple months, but this year, in 2 weeks my chassis battery was dead.
I noticed the reading lights were looking dim but all the other 12v lights in the coach are fine.
I turned off the chassis battery disconnect and those two lights don't work so obviously they are connected to the chassis battery and not coach for some reason.
I was always under the impression the chassis battery would charge when plugged into the shore power. Is this not the case?
The only change to the electrical system I've made over the years is, I installed a coach battery disconnect right on the battery's (just a copper throw switch right on the battery post) as there is a small parasitic draw on the coach batteries. Likely the carbon monoxide detector. I don't think that would effect the charging of the chassis battery, not only because it's not the same system but it's turned on while on shore power anyway.
Any thoughts on this older RV system? Did the chassis battery ever get charged while on shore power?

__________________
CAC Windsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 10:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
PictureTheSouth's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
Posts: 337
THOR #11007
Others here with more experience can chime in on what mods or accessories are required to charge chassis battery from shore power - but as a general rule the answer is "no". Especially true with older units.



House batteries will charge (as long as switch is in "USE" rather than "STORE"), but not the chassis. Keeping chassis battery charged is another in a list of reasons to run the engine for 15 to 30 minutes on a periodic basis; such as circulating oil and other fluids, chasing out the critters looking for a winter home, etc.
__________________
PictureTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
I know it is not your question, but if you think out the box. Do you need shorepower to charge the chassis battery for any of your other Non RV vehicles?

The question(s) I would like to ask is how old is you chassis battery? Have you had it load tested?

Sounds like that battery is going bad. You are just perceptive to catch it early

Think about it like this...
If my house batteries are on shorepower and if for any reason my Chassis battery is dead, I have an Emergency Start switch to allow my engine to start based on power from House batteries. When engine is running the Alternator will in turn charge the chassis battery.

But again, if the above happens, time to check on the Chassis battery.

The point being if your Chassis battery need to be charged while sitting, you need another battery or a fix for the draw; NOT a system that will keep it charged up for you. That is what the alternator does when engine is running.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:45 PM   #4
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 13,876
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC Windsport View Post
Does the Chassis battery not get charged when plugged into shore power?
I have a 2008 Windspirt 36ft. While on shore power I run the two overhead reading lights over the driver's and passenger seat at night to illuminated the front of the coach. And run my Sirius portable radio off the 12v power from the dash.
I've been doing that for years. And yes my chassis battery has gone low over time like over a couple months, but this year, in 2 weeks my chassis battery was dead.
I noticed the reading lights were looking dim but all the other 12v lights in the coach are fine.
I turned off the chassis battery disconnect and those two lights don't work so obviously they are connected to the chassis battery and not coach for some reason.
I was always under the impression the chassis battery would charge when plugged into the shore power. Is this not the case?
The only change to the electrical system I've made over the years is, I installed a coach battery disconnect right on the battery's (just a copper throw switch right on the battery post) as there is a small parasitic draw on the coach batteries. Likely the carbon monoxide detector. I don't think that would effect the charging of the chassis battery, not only because it's not the same system but it's turned on while on shore power anyway.
Any thoughts on this older RV system? Did the chassis battery ever get charged while on shore power?
The answer is almost always: Yes, the converter charges the house and chassis batteries when connected to SP and the USE/STORE switch is in USE on most Class A RVs. Class C RVs is a crap-shoot.

Sounds like yours used to, but now does not. Probably a faulty relay in your Battery Control Center (BCC)
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 1,225
THOR #16471
Here is the Thor FW-2050 Battery Control Center write-up, I am thinking it is the same as your model.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
THOR #16721
Even with a new chassis battery, I would STRONGLY urge having a circuit which connects house batteries to the chassis battery. Does your motorhome have an emergency start rocker switch? It's usually on the lower dash panel within reach of the driver. If so, the battery connect circuit exists... whether it works or not is another question.

Start there then come back for advice.
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Dan-sr@perra-us.net's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
Posts: 1,138
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The answer is almost always: Yes, the converter charges the house and chassis batteries when connected to SP and the USE/STORE switch is in USE on most Class A RVs. Class C RVs is a crap-shoot.

Sounds like yours used to, but now does not. Probably a faulty relay in your Battery Control Center (BCC)
Is there a circuit breaker that would prevent charging if tripped? I would think there would be either a circuit breaker or fuse protecting the batteries from each other.
__________________
Dan
2018 Thor ACE 30.3
Towing 2020 Jeep Gladiator

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:41 PM   #8
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
Posts: 71
THOR #8513
Thank you, that's what figured
__________________
CAC Windsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
Posts: 71
THOR #8513
Solar panel

I have a small solar panel trickle charger (18inch x 12inch) that puts out very small current. I think I will attach it to the chassis battery, that should help and keep the battery operational between me charging it on a regular basis.
__________________
CAC Windsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC Windsport View Post
I have a small solar panel trickle charger (18inch x 12inch) that puts out very small current. I think I will attach it to the chassis battery, that should help and keep the battery operational between me charging it on a regular basis.
That is exactly what I would recommend! Since my Li-BIM discovery, for simplicity I'm getting a cheap solar trickle charger for winter storage.
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:03 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The answer is almost always: Yes, the converter charges the house and chassis batteries when connected to SP and the USE/STORE switch is in USE on most Class A RVs. Class C RVs is a crap-shoot.

Sounds like yours used to, but now does not. Probably a faulty relay in your Battery Control Center (BCC)

I saw this earlier but had to wait until tonight to check. This evening after sitting 4 days unplugged ( I just got back from a trip, and I have not parked it yet on it's spot) My house batteries read 12.6vdc my chassis read 12.7vdc

I plug into shorepower and my house batteries go to 13.27vdc and my chassis actually read 12.68vdc?

So I must have one of those exception SOB Class A, or something is not working and I have never noticed because my Chassis battery is always over 12.5vdc?

I have original OEM NAPA FLA battery ( 5 years old) that I keep saying I am going to replace, but I keep squeezing life out it.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:19 AM   #12
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 13,876
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I saw this earlier but had to wait until tonight to check. This evening after sitting 4 days unplugged ( I just got back from a trip, and I have not parked it yet on it's spot) My house batteries read 12.6vdc my chassis read 12.7vdc

I plug into shorepower and my house batteries go to 13.27vdc and my chassis actually read 12.68vdc?

So I must have one of those exception SOB Class A, or something is not working and I have never noticed because my Chassis battery is always over 12.5vdc?

I have original OEM NAPA FLA battery ( 5 years old) that I keep saying I am going to replace, but I keep squeezing life out it.
or you haven't met the system's requirements to connect the batteries for charging such as:

Time delay
Source voltage greater than 13.6 VDC
Load battery voltage less than 12.5 VDC

Different systems have different requirements and modes of operation.

For example, the "general operation of the non-LI BIM is:

Quote:
The BIM monitors the battery voltage of both the chassis and coach batteries over long periods of time ( some unknown delay period ). If it senses a charging voltage ( some unknown voltage level ), it connects the two batteries together. If the charging system is drastically overburdened, the batteries will be isolated, however, if the BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the batteries have charged for one hour, the BIM will isolate the batteries to prevent overcharging, and will only reconnect the batteries for charging if one of the batteries drops to approximately 80% charge, and the other is being charged. This long term monitoring of the batteries prevents the annoying relay clicking that exists in simpler isolation modules today. The
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:47 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
or you haven't met the system's requirements to connect the batteries for charging such as:

Time delay
Source voltage greater than 13.6 VDC
Load battery voltage less than 12.5 VDC

Different systems have different requirements and modes of operation.

For example, the "general operation of the non-LI BIM is:
Very interesting. I need to keep that post in my SOP.

I will leave it plugged in an see what happens. Sounds like it wanted to put the energy on my house battery and by design kept chassis isolated because it had good voltage.

If my Chassis ever goes over 12.7vdc over next few days, I will know that it is being charged.

I do have one question that I do not understand.

What is relationship between my Progressive Dynamic intelligent program for charging versus or relative to this BIM thingy?
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:38 AM   #14
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 13,876
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Very interesting. I need to keep that post in my SOP.

I will leave it plugged in an see what happens. Sounds like it wanted to put the energy on my house battery and by design kept chassis isolated because it had good voltage.

If my Chassis ever goes over 12.7vdc over next few days, I will know that it is being charged.

I do have one question that I do not understand.

What is relationship between my Progressive Dynamic intelligent program for charging versus or relative to this BIM thingy?
Not a thing if that is your converter. The BIM, or BIRD or whatever WBGO installed in your MH simply connects the house and chassis battery banks for charging and isolates them when not charging. It also connects the battery banks together for "Emergency Start" purposes when that switch is activated.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:27 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
THOR #16721
How It Works

The BIRD operates in conjunction with a continuous duty solenoid to provide the isolator/battery charging functions of a motorhome. It senses voltage on the coach and chassis batteries. If the voltage on either one is above 13.3 volts, indicating the battery is being charged, it closes the isolator relay, paralleling the batteries, charging both. It operates in two directions, charging the batteries from the engine alternator and charging the batteries from the converter. These functions are similar but operate at different thresholds.

Engine Alternator Charging the Batteries

When the ignition switch is turned on and the engine is running, the system senses the level of voltage on the chassis 12 volt system. When this voltage goes above 13.3 volts for approximately 12 seconds, as happens when the engine is running normally (normal alternator output voltage of a cold engine is approximately 14.4 volts), it will close the isolator relay providing charging current to the coach battery. This delay allows a cold engine an opportunity to start and warm up before having the heavy load of a discharged coach battery placed on it.

If the voltage should fall below 12 volts for more than about four seconds, the relay will drop out to feed all the alternators available output to the chassis battery to keep the engine running. This might happen when the alternator is not able to supply sufficient current to all of the loads and charge the coach battery at the same time. When the chassis voltage goes above 13.3 volts again, the relay will again close in about four seconds to retry to charge the coach battery. The resultant flickering of lights would alert the driver of the system overload.

Converter Charging the Batteries

When the coach is plugged into shore power and the ignition is off, the unit senses the voltage on the coach batteries. When this voltage goes above 13.3 volts for approximately 12 seconds, as happens when the converter isn't heavily loaded, it will close the isolator relay providing charging current to the chassis battery.

If the voltage should fall below 12.8 volts for more than about four seconds, the relay will drop out to prevent the coach loads from discharging the chassis battery. This might happen when the converter is heavily loaded by coach loads. When the coach battery voltage goes above 13.3 volts again, the relay will again close in about four seconds to retry to charge the chassis battery.
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:19 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not a thing if that is your converter. The BIM, or BIRD or whatever WBGO installed in your MH simply connects the house and chassis battery banks for charging and isolates them when not charging. It also connects the battery banks together for "Emergency Start" purposes when that switch is activated.
I been needing to learn this for quite a while. Now is a good time. I am pretty sure I have a BIM. But I will have to pull my manual and electrical to see how the PD Converter that is on opposite side of the coach communicates to the BIM?

I know the Converter is monitoring battery voltage, but I assumed it was only monitoring the House Battery. I remember sending a copy of the Intelligent Program to V-Max Tank before I bought the new house batteries.

I also know that my Emergency Switch work. Last winter when my Chassis battery was cold it didn't want to start ( I got the old yank, yank), I used the Emergency Switch and it started it up. No issues with it since. I suspect it may do again this winter, because I have a habit of going 3 to 4 weeks with nothing plugged in. I purposely leave my system uncharged just to have a warm fuzzy that my batteries are working and in good shape. I rather to learn of a battery load issue when at home versus on the road.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:35 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
How It Works

The BIRD operates in conjunction with a continuous duty solenoid to provide the isolator/battery charging functions of a motorhome. It senses voltage on the coach and chassis batteries. If the voltage on either one is above 13.3 volts, indicating the battery is being charged, it closes the isolator relay, paralleling the batteries, charging both. It operates in two directions, charging the batteries from the engine alternator and charging the batteries from the converter. These functions are similar but operate at different thresholds.

DKOLDMAN - Is it possible I don't have a BIRD in my SOB?

Engine Alternator Charging the Batteries

When the ignition switch is turned on and the engine is running, the system senses the level of voltage on the chassis 12 volt system. When this voltage goes above 13.3 volts for approximately 12 seconds, as happens when the engine is running normally (normal alternator output voltage of a cold engine is approximately 14.4 volts), it will close the isolator relay providing charging current to the coach battery. This delay allows a cold engine an opportunity to start and warm up before having the heavy load of a discharged coach battery placed on it.

If the voltage should fall below 12 volts for more than about four seconds, the relay will drop out to feed all the alternators available output to the chassis battery to keep the engine running. This might happen when the alternator is not able to supply sufficient current to all of the loads and charge the coach battery at the same time. When the chassis voltage goes above 13.3 volts again, the relay will again close in about four seconds to retry to charge the coach battery. The resultant flickering of lights would alert the driver of the system overload.

DKOLDMAN - I know my coach does this to perfection. It is why I can run my Absorption fridge off the House batteries and 1,000 Watt Inverter when driving.

Converter Charging the Batteries

When the coach is plugged into shore power and the ignition is off, the unit senses the voltage on the coach batteries. When this voltage goes above 13.3 volts for approximately 12 seconds, as happens when the converter isn't heavily loaded, it will close the isolator relay providing charging current to the chassis battery.

If the voltage should fall below 12.8 volts for more than about four seconds, the relay will drop out to prevent the coach loads from discharging the chassis battery. This might happen when the converter is heavily loaded by coach loads. When the coach battery voltage goes above 13.3 volts again, the relay will again close in about four seconds to retry to charge the chassis battery.
I thought the Converter function / operation was simple on House Batteries until you throw in this logic for Chassis batteries too? Tomorrow, I will see if my Chassis batteries have charged up over 12.7vdc. I got more work to do.

Thanks as this is very helpful. I think for me, it has never been a need to deep dive because my batteries never drain from just sitting. I got a power pedestal at home, but I really only use it when I know I will need the ACs or fridge to run. In fact, during summer, I will unplug in part to avoid charging batteries when there is no need and/or when there are excess 100 degree temperatures. I also unplug if storms are in the forecast (lightning). I may frequently forget it is unplugged because I may be in house watching TV and emptying beer bottles
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
OK, I have answers for OP question for a SOB

For My SOB Class A; I have confirmed my coach does NOT charge the Chassis Battery with Shore power and it is by WBGO design.

Here is what I learned.

1. Today after SP had been connected 24 hrs, my House batteries are at 13.7vdc, my Chassis battery is still sitting at 12.7

2. So I pull my 12v Body Wiring Diagram. I see where my Converter feeds power to a Isolator Stud, but the two output studs are for power to a wiring assembly for the house (not house battery), and the other for a wiring assembly for the chassis ( not chassis battery)

3. The wiring assembly that goes to the house goes to a breaker and downstream from the breaker it feeds the line to charge house battery from the Converter if Converter is on.

4. The wiring assembly that goes to the chassis goes to a breaker, but at no point downstream does it feed the Chassis battery.

5. My SOB coach (non Thor) does NOT have a BIM After all of these years and bewilderment about the BIM that I read so much about, I learned that I have no BIM; so nothing more to learn

6. My Chassis battery will only charge via the alternator (by design)

7. As I stated earlier, I do have an Emergency Switch, but it is controlling a solenoid on the opposite side of the coach and has nothing to do with the Converter

So I restate my above point; after 4 years of ownership, I have never had situation where the Chassis battery needed to be charged by ShorePower anyway. It is just like our cars, we just drive and the alternator takes care of the chassis battery. Having said that, one month is about as long as I can recall where we did not start it up for something. We really only need SP for ACs, heaters, or some big draw on the house batteries. I have turned Shorepower back off, because there is no need to charge house batteries.

Final note is that the Converter does use a Intelligent Program, and based on what the House battery is reading determines how much voltage to send to the House battery.

Boast Mode 14.4vdc
Normal Mode 13.6vdc
Storage Mode 13.2vdc

Again this is for a SOB ( Non Thor) I hope I did not confuse anyone. This is actually only the 3rd thing I am aware of where the designs differences are relevant and noteworthy. One other is how my bathroom sink drains to gray tank and not the black tank, and another is how my AGS knows if I have shorepower or not. It will shut the genny off if connected to SP in the Auto AGS mode.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:28 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
THOR #16721
dk... so you DO have a house/chassis connection circuit (emergency start switch)... likely a Trombetta solenoid? Question is, do you also have an Isolator Relay Delay Module. If not, it's interesting that WBGO would skip that?

The Trombetta relay is all you would need for emergency start purposes. But if you DO have the Isolator Module in conjunction with the Relay, it would theoretically monitor voltage in BOTH batteries and connect as needed to automatically keep ALL your batteries topped off... especially handy because you have constant shore power.
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:52 AM   #20
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 13,876
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
dk... so you DO have a house/chassis connection circuit (emergency start switch)... likely a Trombetta solenoid? Question is, do you also have an Isolator Relay Delay Module. If not, it's interesting that WBGO would skip that?

The Trombetta relay is all you would need for emergency start purposes. But if you DO have the Isolator Module in conjunction with the Relay, it would theoretically monitor voltage in BOTH batteries and connect as needed to automatically keep ALL your batteries topped off... especially handy because you have constant shore power.
And for charging house batteries from the alternator.....

So now you know all about Dkoldman's WBGO, which does nothing to answer the OP's question about his Thor MH.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charging, chassis battery, shore power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2