Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #10631
Chassis Battery Replacement on a Vegas

What is this crap about cutting out the top of the dash to change out the chassis battery on a 2015 Vegas? Here's an alternate method:
Next to the battery is a fender well cover piece w/3 screws, between the battery & wheel well.

CAUTION: Be careful not to catch the back of the headlight (Yep). That goes for all steps of this procedure!

(1) From the outside above the right front wheel, remove the screws & remove that board. That is your battery passage.
(2) Remove the big breather hoses on the plastic panel (front part only) at the front of the hood area.
(3) The a/c receiver/dryer is the canister with the metal lines to it. Remove the 2 bolts holding it to the bracket, gently move the rubber hoses attached to the thing along with the thing up and to the right. This clears access to the battery.
(4) Disconnect battery cables.
(4) Using a long extension, remove the 5/16" nut holding the battery down. This is between the battery and engine in the battery tray.
(5) With someone below in the wheel well to take the battery, lift the battery out of its cradle and move it to the opening in the wheel well for the other person to catch it and remove from the chassis.

Reverse procedure to put in new battery.

This may not be news to a lot if you, but worked for me😁

Old 03-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Stickman that’s how a few of us have done it...I didn’t need to move the A/C canister out of the way though....This procedure has been put on the forum a few times.....
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.5
State: California
THOR #18046
Thanks for the info.when it stops raining I’ll check out my Thor 2019 axis and see if we have the same under wheel.The dealer told me to cut out the wood under the laptop table on the dash.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:31 AM   #4

State: Alabama
THOR #10631
Chassis Battery Replacement

I saw the you tube video and saw them cutting a hole into the engine compartment. This compromises the firewall effectiveness to keep an engine fire out of the passenger area.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
I saw the you tube video and saw them cutting a hole into the engine compartment. This compromises the firewall effectiveness to keep an engine fire out of the passenger area.
That's funny! You think Class As have a "firewall"?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:48 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
I feel an explanation of a class A dash is needed.

Your firewall is plywood. Nothing is compromised.
The hole is likely already there it just needs tabs removed.
I'm pretty sure an aluminum taped 1/8th inch kerf isn't going to be a detriment to a plywood firewall by being a flame path.

I don't think a firebreach into the cab has been a consideration ever on a MotorHome ever.

A class A(ish) is not a class c.

But
If you feel the integrity of the plywood is compromising in case of fire, a 20x20 sheet of tin or something fire proof of your choice will lay right over the plywood and the kerf.

Firewall is a misnomer. I'm going to hazard a guess it was originally the panel between a boiler and the firebox.
It's just a word used for the separation panel from engine to cab.
Lots of fiberglas cars with Glas firewalls.

In the thread in my signature is a post about Little automatic fire extinguishers. There's also mention of me moving my battery entirely.
It's headed for behind the passenger front tire.

I hope you didn't scare anyone with your statement.

Many of you hit the same chord in me as you do Ace/Ted....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #7

THOR #5313
I did mine last year through dash. Was relatively easy job. I ised heavy metal clips to hold board in place. I sulation tape in groove and above to keep bugs out. Was easier for me than over wheel.

Going on 4 years now and performing very good.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I feel an explanation of a class A dash is needed.
Actually the dash/firewall doesn't matter at all as far an an engine fire in a Class A like the Vegas...
The Class A on the Ford F-53, F-450, F-350 stripped chassis - we are sitting on top of the engine... (between the 2 front seats).
It is on the passenger side of any 'firewall' already.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #9

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #17484
I did the cutout on 2017 Vegas ... annoying but not difficult. I used a couple length of aluminum flashing to form a pan under the cutout with short "wings" that bent up and over the top edge surface for fastening. I liked the idea of covering the bottom side of the cutout ... mainly to deflect engine compartment heat. The best protection from engine fire is good insurance and slow fire department response.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #10

THOR #7188
Choices for chassis battery replacement

Good to see multiple solutions to a problem. I changed batteries through the dashboard. Going through the wheel-well might be the better choice. I did not go that way because I assumed I would have to remove the wheel, put the motorhome on a jackstand.... seemed dangerous. With the wheel left in place, then OK.
However, while I was in through the dash, I did a little modifying like adding more sound insulation where I could, tying things off a little better, etc. Also, I did it by myself.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: British Columbia
THOR #13285
Stickman, I imagine you had to take off the front wheel/tire....is that right?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 AM   #12

THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Stickman, I imagine you had to take off the front wheel/tire....is that right?

Nope no need, just turn your wheels all the way to the right and you have room to bring the battery down through the wheel well....
Old 03-26-2020, 02:24 AM   #13

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
The hole under the dash of my 2017 AXIS is pre cut by the factory, just two tabs to cut to pull it out, I cut a new piece of 1/2 plywood to get a tight fit and put 2 inch X 1/8 aluminum on the top to act as a flange and added a few screws to hold it in place, best way to get to the battery and to add oil after an oil change,
Old 03-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #14

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
Ford once produced a car that required pulling the engine to change a rear spark plug. That design engineer now works for Thor.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #15

THOR #12858
Ford Taurus
Old 03-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #16

Model: AXIS 25.1
State: Iowa
THOR #5084
I own one of those Fords, a 1970 Mach1 428 CobraJet!

The engineers probably never expected to have to accommodate an engine that big. You don't have to pull the engine, but it helps to loosen the motor mounts and roll the motor a little if you have big hands. I change mine with a swivel extension and it's not a big deal. It's still the coolest thing I have ever owned!

BTW, I changed the battery in my Axis through the pre-cut hole below the fold-out desk. It was easy and I re-fastened the panel with some flat brackets and screws to make it even easier next time. I also sealed it up with caulking.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #17

Model: Vegas
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1755
Replacing my engine Battery through the Chassis, have every thing ready to pull Battery, needed to know where battery hold down bolt was? Thanks to Stickman found out where it is. Going to wait till this evening to pull and replace the new Battery to HOT and Miserable now. Thanks