Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Chassis heater/ac fan

Has anyone experienced a failure of the F-53 Chassis heater/AC fan. I have a 2016 Thor Miramar and a few months ago the fan just stopped. It is going into a Ford dealer in a couple of days for an oil change and to check this out. The RV dealer told me Ford may refer it to Thor because this issue may be a fan motor problem and recalled by Thor. I can't find anything about a recall for this. Just curious is anyone else experiencing this issue and how was it remedied?

Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #2

THOR #4488
Update...just in case anyone else is having problems with the AC/Heater fan on their F53 chassis motorhome. I just picked my Miramar up from the local Ford dealer...they could not repair it. They replaced the fuse twice but each time they turned the fan above the lowest setting it would burn out the fuse. They deemed it to be a Thor issue. I called the dealer and he said they have had lots of issues with these. They usually find the problem in the wiring so I have to take it in. I'll let you know what they find if anyone is interested.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Please keep us updated, I have a 16 Miramar and haven't had any problems yet!!

Thanks,
Old 03-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
I have mine in the shop now and Thor claims it is a Ford issue. When moving fan speed to 4, the fuse always blows.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

THOR #4488
Mine goes in on Monday. I confirmed with the dealer again today and he assured me it is a Thor issue. He said he has repaired a lot, mostly Axxis and Vegas models but is now showing up on Miramar and Hurricane models as well. I'll post again once the work is done and let you know more details.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #6

THOR #4488
Update on the heater fan. Yep, when turned to high it blew the fuse. They had the RV for almost a month...I told them I was in no hurry...on hind sight that may be why it took so long. It was the fan control assembly. They replaced the entire controller and the wiring all the way to the power source. It seems there is a capacitor and fuses in the wiring and it's easier to change the whole thing than to try to find the exact part of it that is bad. Part of why it take so long is under factory warranty, the dealer has to diagnose and remove the old part before ordering the new replacement. He said they receive their parts order from Thor every Wednesday.

They told me they are seeing this on the Miramar, Challenger, Windsport, Axis and Vegas. They are not sure what is causing it but seems to be associated with the high fan setting when using the heater, not the A/C.

He also said if I never used it on high it would have been fine. That didn't seem like a good option for a new rig.