Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #12816
2015 33sw Cap Separation from Truck Cab

Thanks for the advice, I had time this last weekend to remove the trim and headliner to inspect the cap over the truck cab. Almost all of the screws on the "U" shaped aluminum support had fallen out or were loose. Actually the original screws were not even installed into the support bar because the truck cab roof was cut about 1/2" short , so the screws were into the wood. I cut a piece of sheet metal to cover the aluminum u bar and secured to the original roof metal with sheet metal screws. The drawing I got from Thor shows there should be screws every 2" but they were spaced 6" apart. There were two long screws that had rusted and broken off above the windshield through the cab metal roof and into a plywood brace across the front. The plywood brace was sagging and bowed down in the center. I was able to install some screws down vertically from inside the center TV cabinet to stabilize the wood "stuff" support and then install 4 new screws through the cab rook up into the plywood support. I am so glad I took the time to remove the headliner to inspect. Last we caulked the front seam. Will take a trip this weekend to see how it works.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Did you take any pictures while you had everything opened up?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #23

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Water leaks suck, our front cap was leaking so bad that when you turned a corner the water would gush out of the bottom seam. It’s crazy to think they could cut the sheet metal too short and then do some shade tree mechanics and send it down the line. Makes you wonder if you could just be driving down the highway and the whole house could just fall off.