Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Vegas 25.3
State: Nebraska
Posts: 29
THOR #24456
Cheap and Easy Bugscreen

Came up with an easy bug screen Solution: Asked our local Ace hardware to make a 24" X 33" window screen. Set it on the front frame rails and under the plastic cowl. $35.00 and done.



__________________
Jim & Linda Bender
Retired Truck Driver...Learning how to be a Tourist.
2018 Vegas 25.3
RunnerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
Posts: 257
THOR #25490
The only issue I would caution on is that anything like that does impeded air flow across the condensor and radiator and thus alters the thermal dynamics of the system. And so do too many bugs in the condensor.
__________________
Sappy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
Posts: 870
THOR #22927
Good idea. Be careful not to have to think of mesh. Note previous post on air flow.
__________________
Grumpy Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 1,158
THOR #16471
If you notice more fan noise when it is working harder (due to rise in rad temp) that may indicate the mesh is doing its job and filling up with bugs. Time to stop and clean it.
Try to leave space betwixt the screen and rad fins to allow some 'side' airflow. Previous owner installed a snap-on bugsreen on my front, may not be aesthetically pleasing to some, but it really does its job.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 476
THOR #21919
I installed grill inserts in my Jeep Wrangler for a cross country off-roading trip years ago. Mainly to keep bigger rocks from being kicked up and damaging my condenser through the very large grill openings.

Well, I can very close to overheating climbing out of Death Valley with my AC on in Sept. I had to turn off the AC. Same think again climbing at altitude in California. Again I had to turn off the AC.

I removed the grill inserts when I got to Utah because I suspected they were the cause of a brand new vehicle nearly overheating. I never came close to overheating again all the way back to Georgia.

__________________
- 2022 Vegas 24.1
- Former US Marine - 1988-1996
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
Posts: 3,468
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I installed grill inserts in my Jeep Wrangler for a cross country off-roading trip years ago. Mainly to keep bigger rocks from being kicked up and damaging my condenser through the very large grill openings.



Well, I can very close to overheating climbing out of Death Valley with my AC on in Sept. I had to turn off the AC. Same think again climbing at altitude in California. Again I had to turn off the AC.



I removed the grill inserts when I got to Utah because I suspected they were the cause of a brand new vehicle nearly overheating. I never came close to overheating again all the way back to Georgia.



I put those on my jeep when I got it in 2016. Never had a problem over heating

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2022 Renegade Valencia 38RB "Five Deuces"
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 476
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I put those on my jeep when I got it in 2016. Never had a problem over heating

Jerry
I didn't 99% of the time. It was the long climbs at highway speeds to high elevations running AC coming out of 110F Death Valley floor (actually a nice day) in a loaded jeep.

When I removed them, never came close to overheating again.
__________________
- 2022 Vegas 24.1
- Former US Marine - 1988-1996
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
Posts: 3,468
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I didn't 99% of the time. It was the long climbs at highway speeds to high elevations running AC coming out of 110F Death Valley floor (actually a nice day) in a loaded jeep.

When I removed them, never came close to overheating again.
I've never done that drive so maybe that's why I haven't had the problem
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2022 Renegade Valencia 38RB "Five Deuces"
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:10 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 7
THOR #11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerJim View Post
Came up with an easy bug screen Solution: Asked our local Ace hardware to make a 24" X 33" window screen. Set it on the front frame rails and under the plastic cowl. $35.00 and done.


good... I done it too with window screen to defect the wind whistle noise. no bugs on radiator. ez clean
__________________
VNrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 2,166
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
If you notice more fan noise when it is working harder (due to rise in rad temp) that may indicate the mesh is doing its job and filling up with bugs. Time to stop and clean it.
Try to leave space betwixt the screen and rad fins to allow some 'side' airflow. Previous owner installed a snap-on bugsreen on my front, may not be aesthetically pleasing to some, but it really does its job.
I use the snap on screen as well.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2